Old 02-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #1  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Default does eating clean or healthier help cease the bingeing?

I've noticed when I have eaten my calories for the day that I don't feel like bingeing. Especially, when I eat more than the average for vegtables a day, it satisfies me. That suprised me.

What has helped you not rely on food so much when you are used to eating your feeling away? Just curious.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I don't "binge" in the typical sense but I have had issues with eating mindlessly or for the wrong reasons.

Eating a balanced, whole foods organic vegan diet has helped me become more mindful, appreciate everything more and has also helped me slow down and stay in touch with myself, nature and so on. It also leaves me feeling better and more satisfied in all ways.

<<This is for me as much as it is for you!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

It does help me. When I eat veggies, I tend to eat less junk. EVen things like Fiber One bars, whole grain bread... anything carby or sweet can set me off at least to WANTING a binge. If I eat mostly veggies and protein I don't even think about binging.

But still sometimes I get a panicky feeling. "Is this really worth not being able to eat Big Mac meals and drink coke and eat whole pizzas whenever I want to? Is this really worth not eating a whole gourmet cheesecake or box of chocolates?" Right now I am going on faith that it will be worth it. Because it is very hard to give that stuff up for me.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

In my experience it does help. I just tonight posted on another thread about how I no longer crave junk and in fact if I eat too much junky food (fast food, chips, whatever) I really don't feel good.

The other day I walked down the chip aisle in the grocery store (because some genius thinks that nuts and sunflower seeds belong in the same snack section as potato chips) and realized that I wasn't even tempted.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

When my carboyhydrates come from fibrous green vegetables for the day I do the best. I definitely have to limit my simple carbs in the way of dairy and fruit to do the best on my fat removal. I also feel eating too much grain slows down my fat loss. I eat a couple serving of each in the am and then stick to lean protein and my veggies in the afternoon and evening.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #6  

I don't know, I know that eating about every three hours helps me to control my hunger. I wasn't much of a binge eater, but I ate a lot of high caloric foods.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Eating balanced and healthy foods has pretty much eliminated cravings - which is what caused bingeing for me.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #8  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

When I started my low carb, high vegetable diet, I thought I would feel hungry all the time. I think that was my biggest fear about "dieting." However, my way of eating keeps me from being hungry. Scheduling my snacks does as well. Some days there's more hunger (like right around my period) but you adjust things to accommodate but yeah anything to keep you from binging.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It helps somewhat but I can binge on healthy foods. Peanut butter is one thing that gets me so I have to strictly control it.

It does help though and I think binging on healthier foods is better than junk but still calories count no matter what.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #10  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Controlling my carb intake, counting calories and planning out everything has really helped end binging and mindless eating. I'm stopping fingernail biting too.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

basically not having anything really on my "no" list is what's keeping me from mindless eating. eating healthy, clean foods definitely reduces my cravings. the junk is in my house, and i know i could have it if i wanted, but generally i just don't even go for it anymore.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by better health3 View Post
I've noticed when I have eaten my calories for the day that I don't feel like bingeing. Especially, when I eat more than the
That is exactly what happened to me when I switched to a Whole Foods diet back in 2004. I wouldn't have called it a whole foods diet at the time, and giving up sugar was just a happy byproduct of what I was doing, but my endless, restless, bingy craving feelings went away entirely. That kind of feeling where you open all the cupboards, look in the frig, wanting something, anything to eat - that is GONE, completely. I used to eat a ton of junk and fake foods, I figure my body was just endlessly looking for NUTRITION that it needed. Now I eat so well, my body has no urge to pilfer through the cabinets, it's satisfied.

I also figured out I had issues with sugar/white flour/crispy/fatty/salty products. When I eat one oreo (for example) I IMMEDIATELY want another oreo. I want to stuff a second Oreo in my mouth while I'm still chewing on the first Oreo and then stuff in a third, fourth, etc. It is a very weird "cram" feeling that I never get when I'm eating whole foods (whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, etc).

I used to think I was a no will power loser, but I used to try to "diet" with stuff like fat free Snackwells without realizing it was the processed sugary Snackwells that made me binge, not me (if that makes any sense, I do know it was my hand that put the cookie in my mouth). If I stopped eating food like that, I stopped binging. When I ate the right foods, I could lose weight without binging and feel successful.

I have come to love and appreciate myself - thousands of years of evolution made me a human being that gorges on high energy food when it can find it, that's a well-designed body for any period in human history BESIDES our immediate present in an American super market. I'm a genetic lottery winner, able to better sustain myself in times of famine and restriction - I cant blame my body for doing what I would WANT it to do if I were really starving.

Understanding my body and my triggers helps me to be more successful. Loving myself and forgiving myself if I eat something off plan helps me be successful. I understand that I am weak for Ritz crackers - therefore I will try not to eat 1 Ritz cracker!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #13  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Well, any time I'm full and well-fed, I'm less likely to binge. HOWEVER...

I disagree that it keeps me from doing so. You put a couple dozen freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in front of me, even after I ate, and I would have a VERY VERY hard time resisting (hence why baked goods are not allowed in the house)

It all depends on who you are.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Oh it def. depends on who you are and how you deal with temptation.

I can honestly say that if you put a bag of chips in front of me (my weakness) I would have a handful. The difference is that I'd have a handful and QUIT rather than eating the whole bag. And I wouldn't feel deprived or like I was forcing myself.

I don't really know when the change came around but I have to admit I like the feeling.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote