Fish recipes?

• One of my goals has been to eat fish twice a week for dinner. I need some new ideas! Recipes, please... any kind of fish.

I often get fresh salmon, slice an onion and a lemon over the filet (skin side down on pam-sprayed foil), sprinkle with dried parsley and black pepper, seal the foil and bake at 425 until it flakes easily. Yummy.
  • I'm not a big fan of fish but I love this recipe for Mahi Mahi. The original recipe is done in a skillet but I prefer to grill it and just reduce the marinade on the stove:

• 3 tablespoons honey
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
    • 1 clove garlic, crushed or to taste
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 4 (6 ounce) mahi mahi fillets
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. In a shallow glass dish, stir together the honey, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic and olive oil. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, and place them into the dish. If the fillets have skin on them, place them skin side down. Cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.
    2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove fish from the dish, and reserve marinade. Fry fish for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, turning only once, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fillets to a serving platter and keep warm.
    3. Pour reserved marinade into the skillet, and heat over medium heat until the mixture reduces to a glaze consistently. Spoon glaze over fish, and serve immediately.
  • I made this last night...My DH and mom loved it!

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Ingredients

2 cups enriched egg noodles
    1 can tuna packed in water
    small onion, chopped
    1 cup frozed peas
    1 cup chopped mushrooms (or one can, drained)
    1 can 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 serving Ritz crackers (5 crackers), crushed (or any crackers you like)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375
    2. Bring 4 cups water to a boil; add egg noodles and boil about 3 minutes (noodles should still be firm). Immediately shock the noodles in cold water, then transfer the noodles to a 2 quart casserole dish.
    3. At the same time...saute the onions in a small amount of oil then , mix the milk and soup in the pan. Bring to a simmer. Add the tuna; whisk until tuna is broken apart. Add the peas and mushrooms. Mix in the vegetables; pour the entire mixture over the egg noodles. Use a spoon to mix the ingredients thouroughly. Sprinkle the Ritz crackers over the top of the mixture.
    4. Bake for 25 minutes covered; remove cover and bake 5 additional minutes.
    Makes 4 servings

Number of Servings: 4

I added some garlic powder too and a little salt and pepper, too.

Calories are about per 290 serving

Total Fat 5.4 g

Saturated Fat 0.7 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.0 g

Cholesterol 14.8 mg

Sodium 400.8 mg

Potassium 237.6 mg

Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g

Dietary Fiber 2.7 g

Sugars 2.3 g

Protein 19.9 g
  • I love to grill salmon in a pan ( season with salt, pepper and dill weed) with a small amount of olive oil. About 3-5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve with lemon Yum!
  • I just made some talapia for dinner. You will need some olive oil, onions, garlic & ginger. Sautee veggies in the olive oil. Add Talapia to mixture. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. Bon a petit!
  • I make "oven baked" quite a bit. I usually make it with tilapia (or crappie, walley, or blue-gill that my FIL brings us after a fishing trip).

I put the fish in a glass bowl with light ranch dressing (or my homemade dressing made with low fat mayo and seasonings or dressing packet).

I leave that in the fridge for 20 minutes to several hours. (If it's a stronger-tasting fish, I leave it in the marinade longer).

The breading is crushed stuff with seasonings usually of garlic, salt, pepper, maybe a little celery salt... whatever I like.

I say crushed stuff because I have used (using a food processor to crush anything that isn't in small enough pieces right out of the box)

flavored or plain bread or cracker crumbs
    bran cereal
    chex cereal (once chex mix - I started marinating the fish before realizing I had no other crushed or "crushable" stuff)
    mashed potato flakes
    whole wheat flour (only mixed with other crushed stuff, not alone)
    wheat germ
    crackers (plain or flavored, if the flavor is compatible with the fish)

I also have used potato or dorito chips (when we've had them for a party and need to get rid of them afterward if we couldn't convince anyone to take them home with them). I grind them up and add them to mashed potato flakes or another low fat crumb and put them in a plastic tub (using at least as much plain crumb as chip crumbs to dilute the amount of fat). They're ready to use, but not tempting as a snack.

When I'm ready to bake. I use vegetable spray to lightly coat a baking sheet. I dip the fish fillets in the crumbs (both sides) and very lightly spray the tops of the coated fillets (this isn't necessary unless the fish pieces are very thin). Then I bake until the fish is flakey and the crumb coating is crispy. If the fish is very thick, I usually have to flip halfway through the baking. Thin fillets usually take only about 20 - 25 minutes to bake.
  • Oh I am loving these ideas!! I have some homemade lowfat ranch in the fridge and Panko crumbs. If tilapia is on sale, I am making that one first!

Keep the ideas coming, thank you so much. Fish is SO good for you and low cal.
  • I make this Maple Garlic Salmon once a week:
    1/4 c maple syrup - or honey or agave nectar
    2 T soy sauce
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1+ minced garlic clove
    pepper as desired
    4 pieces of salmon, or a whole fillet if you like

Marinate salmon for 30 min in the marinade - in the pan you'll bake it in. Bake @400 until done - 15-20m. Super easy and tastes great!

We also like this Tex-Mex Tilapia:
    4 tilapia fillets
    1/4 c olive oil - adjust as desired - I sometimes use less
    1/4 c fresh lime juice
    2 chopped tomatoes
    jalapeno peppers, sliced - to taste
    cilantro, chopped - to taste
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Put fish in a baking dish, pour the olive oil and lime juice over it, add the S&P and let marinate for 1 hour. Transfer tilapia to skillet and pour the lime juice mixture over the fish. Scatter the tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro over the fillets. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes per side.
  • Oooh thanks for all the recipes. Here's my current favorite salmon recipe:

Maple-glazed salmon

INGREDIENTS
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound salmon

DIRECTIONS
    1. In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
    2. Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
    3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    4. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
    Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 265
    Total Fat: 12.4g
    Cholesterol: 67mg
    Sodium: 639mg
    Total Carbs: 14.2g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
    Protein: 23.1g
  • Too funny, Glory - our salmon recipes are soooo similar! It tastes so fantastic.
  • FILLET OF SOLE ALMONDINE

Serving Size : 4

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 tablespoons sliced almonds
    1 pound fresh sole fillets
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon sliced scallions
    1 Dash ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

In large skillet, toast almonds over low heat. Remove from skillet; set aside.

Cut fillets in half lengthwise. Combine flour and pepper; coat fillets with mixture.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Saute fillets until golden, turning once, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet to a serving dish.

Return almonds to skillet with scallions; stir until warm.

Spoon over fillets and sprinkle with lemon juice; serve immediately.

Cooking/baking salmon
    use 1/4 C honey, 1/4 C soy sauce, 1tsp each of ginger, chili powder, mustard powder, curry powder and allspice. bake it uncovered in a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes (this is a side slab of salmon fillet, serves 4-6).

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup orange juice
    2 Tabl lemon juice

Mix and use as marinade - up to 8 hours - then grill or broil.

Parmesan Fish
    4 (4oz) fish fillets, I used Cod fillets from Sams Club
    1 TBSP Lemon Juice (which you sprinkle over fish before broiling)
    1/4 cup non-fat mayo
    3 TBSP parmesan cheese
    1 TBSP thinly sliced green onion
    1 TBSP light margarine, softened
    1/8 tsp hot sauce, or more to taste

Mix-mayo, cheese, onion, margarine and hot sauce together. Place filets on rack of broiler pan coated with cooking spray, sprinkle with lemon juice. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat for 5-6 min or until almost done. Put mayo mixture on top of each fillet and broil until lightly brown.

Garlic Shrimp and Pasta

2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 can fat free chicken broth
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/8 tsp red pepper
    1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
    8 oz box of spaghetti or other pasta(cooked)

In a med saucespan, mix cornstarch, broth ,garlic, parsley. lemom juice, and pepper. Over heat cook until mixture, boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add shrimp. Cook 5 min, or until shrimp turn pink, stirring often. toss with pasta.

Crispy Baked Cod

4 cod fillets -- (6-oz.)
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon water
    1/2 cup corn flakes -- crushed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon LAND O LAKES® Butter -- melted
    lemon wedges -- optional

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.

In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Dip fillets in egg white, then roll in crushed corn flakes. Arrange fish in baking pan. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and lemon pepper; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve warm.

Blackened Catfish

From Cooking Light

2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    4 (6-ounce) farm-raised catfish fillets
    2 teaspoons olive oil

Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of fish with the paprika mixture.
    Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add fish; cook 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 232 (39% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 2.1g, mono 4.5g, poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 31.6g; CARB 2.9g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 99mg; IRON 3.1mg; SODIUM 402mg; CALC 93mg;

Snapper Tacos with Chipotle Cream

From Cooking Light

1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomato, divided
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 pound red snapper fillets, skinned
    1 teaspoon grated lime rind
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas

Combine sour cream, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and chile; set aside. Combine 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup tomato; set aside.
    Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup onion, 1 cup tomato, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and minced garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cilantro. Arrange fish over onion mixture in pan; cover and cook 3 minutes. Turn fish; cover and cook 2 minutes. Break fish into chunks. Stir in rind and juice; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
    Warm tortillas according to package directions. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup fish mixture and 1/4 cup reserved onion mixture; top each serving with 2 tablespoons chipotle cream. Fold in half or roll up.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 taco)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 340 (21% from fat); FAT 7.8g (sat 4g, mono 2g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 28.1g; CARB 38.1g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL 56mg;

Scallops Supreme
    4 servings of 1 cup each

1 lb scallops (if using large cut in slices)
    1 large tomato (the one i used was about 1 lb.) cubed
    4 large garlic cloves cut in THIN slices
    3 TBSP light sour cream
    3 cups cooked pasta
    a MISTO sprayer filled with olive oil

spray bottom of pan using yr misto
    saute tomato and garlic (once tomatoes release juices use a potato masher on all)
    add scallops and any "juice"(1lb raw = 8 oz cooked)
    add pasta

simmer until juices are absorbed by pasta and scallops turn white and opaque

season with black pepper, oregano and a dash of crushed red pepper

stir in sour cream

Parmesan Fillets

Serving Size : 2
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    7 ounces flounder fillet -- or scrod fillet
    1/2 ounce grated Parmesan cheese -- divided

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Cut fillet in half.

3. In cup or small bowl combine oil and lemon juice. On nonstick baking sheet arrange fillets and using pastry brush, brush one side with 1/2 of the oil mixture. Sprinkle top of fillet with half of cheese. Broil until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

4. Turn fillet with spatula, brush with remaining oil mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Broil until golden brown and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 2 more minutes.

Per serving: 177 calories; 23 g protein; 7 g fat; 1 g carbohydrates; 103 mg calcium; 200 mg sodium; 57 mg cholesterol; 0 g dietary fiber

Parmesan Fish
    1 1/2 pounds grouper or other white fish fillets (I used flounder)
    Cooking Spray
    1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
    1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
    1/8 onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used seasoned)
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
    2. Place fish in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine lime or lemon juice, mayonnaise, onion powder, and pepper in a small bowl, and spread over fish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; drizzle with butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley.
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces fish).

Calories 223 (30% from fat); FAT 7.5g(sat 2.7g, mono 2g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 33.6g; CARB 5.3g; FIBER 0.2g: CHOL 84mg; IRON 1.8mg; SODIUM 223mg; CALC 5mg

CRISPY PARMESAN ROUGHY

2/3 cup breadcrumbs (italian flavored)
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. paprila
    4-6 oz orange roughy fillets
    1/4 cup skim milk

Preheat oven to 450. Mix first 4 ingredients in a shallow pan. Dip fillets into milk,then coat them with crumb mixture. Place fillets on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake about 8 minutes, or until coating is browned and crispy and fish flakes easily with a fork.

Shrimp Creole

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper (red is good too)
    1 cup chopped peeled and seeded tomato (I use 1 can diced)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp chopped parsley
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    6 ounces peeled raw shrimp
    1 cup hot cooked white rice (use an OP rice like brown)

Preparation:
    Cook the onion and bell pepper in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to keep fromj sticking and to insure uniform cooking.
    Add the tomato and all the herbs and seasonings.
    Let the mixture come to a simmer and continue simmering for 2 minutes.
    Add the shrimp and simmer only long enough for them to become pink and just cooked, about 2 minutes.

To serve:
    Spoon 1/2 cup of the rice onto the center of each plate and ladle the Shrimp Creole around it in a circle.

Sauteed Tilapia Fillets with Lime

Serving Size : 4
    1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets
    3 tablespoons flour
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 green onion -- chopped

Rinse the fish and pat dry. Put the flour on a plate and season it with salt and pepper. Dredge the fillets in the flour, patting to remove excess. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, wine, lime juice and butter, then set aside. Heat the oil in a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over medium high heat. Add the fillets without overlapping. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn the fillets over and cook until opaque through the thickest part, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the fish to a platter and keep warm; cover with foil or place in a 200F oven. Add the wine mixture to pan and boil, scraping up cooked bits, until reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the onions and heat on low about 30 seconds. Pour the sauce over the fish and serve.

Salmon Patties

15 oz. can salmon (drained well)
    1/3c chopped onion
    2c soft bread crumbs (I used 4 slices of light bread in food processor)
    1T lemon juice
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t dill
    2T parsley flakes
    2 eggs

mix well and fry in olive oil until golden brown!

Salmon Cakes

about 2 cups cooked salmon, flaked
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    2 scallions, chopped fine
    about 1/4 cup celery, chopped fine
    Thyme
    Salt and pepper
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of lime juice
    1/4 cup ff yogurt/mayo blend (I used half of each)
    1 egg

Mix ingredients together. Shape into little patties. My mixture made 5 "big" cakes (about 3.5 oz) and 2 "small" cakes (about 2 oz).
    I cooked 3-4 at a time in 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (1 Tbsp for the entire batch), about 4 min on each side, and "drained" them on a paper towel

Spiced Grilled Salmon
    2 Tbl. smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
    2 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp kosher salt
    ½ tsp coarsely ground pepper
    ½ tsp ground ginger
    ½ tsp ground cardamom
    ½ tsp ground cumin
    ¼ tsp ground cloves
    ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    4 (6-oz) salmon fillets
    Rub spice mixture on top of salmon. Grill.
    330 cal, 19 g fat, 34 g protein, 5 g carbs, 2 g fiber

Oven-fried fish with Tartar Sauce
    4 servings

Sauce:
    2 Tbsp minced dill pickle
    1 Tbsp minced shallot(s)
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 Tbsp minced capers
    1 tsp minced fresh parsley
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt

Fish:
    1 pound flounder fillets
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup whole-grain yellow cornmeal

Preheat the broiler so that it is six inches from the heat. Cover a cookie sheet with foil, shiny side down. When broiler is hot, place cookie sheet under it and preheat 4 to 5 minutes.

Place egg white in a wide shallow bowl. Dip flounder fillets in egg white. If end of flounder is thin, fold over so that fillets are a uniform thickness.

Place cornmeal on a plate and season as desired. I used 1/4 teaspoon of a Cajun seasoning. Dip fillets in cornmeal until well coated.

Place fillets on pre-heated cookie sheet and broil 4 to 5 minutes until browned and cooked through.
  • Love the recipes, many thanks! I've always looking for a new way to do salmon, and the maple ideas sound great.
  • I almost forgot one of my favorite things to do with tuna...

Tuna and Peas Salad

one can of tuna, drained
    one cup canned peas, drained
    2 T Miracle Whip Lite
    minced onion
    small diced celery

combine and refrigerate for an hour or so before eating. (however, I've eaten right away, too)

It makes a yummy tuna salad -

one or two servings