Old 02-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #1  

Default New & needing to VENT!!

I have been needing to lose weight for over 10 years. Since realizing I was putting on unwanted weight, I have tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Carb Addicts, fasting. During this 10 year time I have had 2 kids & with each I've kept on at least 30 additional pounds. Leaving me at a whopping 250 when it was all said & done. I made a HUGE move towards a healthier lifestyle over a year ago by training to complete a 1/2 marathon. In all my training & hard work I only lost about 10 lbs, but boy did I get some strong muscle under my fat!! Unfortunately, I only went down about 1 size & after I finished the 1/2 marathon I got very sick for about 2 weeks & couldn't get out of bed much less walk or run every day. I haven't exercised since - that was over a year ago!! So now I am almost 40 lbs heavier than I was the day I finished a 1/2 marathon. I have hit an all-time high of 280 lbs. What has happened to me?????

I am frustrated, I don't feel motivated at all. I know I am unhealthy, I look & feel terrible. I watch shows like Biggest Loser to try to motivate myself & this week I ate a big bowl of ice cream & a whole bag of microwave popcorn while I watched the show! I ate & watched as the participants cried about their bad childhood memories that are causing them to eat away the pain. But I can't relate to that at all...

I don't think i've had any major events in my life that have caused me to abuse food & avoid exercise - I had a pretty good childhood, have an amazing husband, 2 great kids, am satisfied with my job, am close to my extended family, friends. I think I AM JUST LAZY - I just don't want to put in the extra work it takes to plan my meals, plan my workouts, make time to actually do my workouts, etc. What is the most frustrating is that I know I can lose the weight if I'd just put in some effort - but when I start trying I feel completely overwhelmed & the first thing to go is my eating & exercise plan. Now I have over 100 lbs to lose!!

Anyway - I haven't posted on this site since 2006, but I thought if I wrote this down where someone else might read it, I am somehow making myself accountable for my own decisions & may figure out a way to prioritize better & make the time to do this right. Thanks for 'listening'.

Roo
KangaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back!
I agree that thinking about changing your whole lifestyle and losing 100 pounds is overwhelming.
But I bet if you made a few simple changes you could lose 10 pounds fairly easily. So make that your goal and celebrate with a new haircut or new pair of jeans. Then decided what's next.
That's my 2 cents worth.....small reachable goals.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I agree with the small goals. I think I originally had goals about every 2-3 pounds! Now I'm more looking at the ticker and the big picture. There's plenty to read and learn here. Welcome back.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #4  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Height: 5'4"

hi roo,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad...

you've tried a lot of diets, and I guess when they didn't give you fast results you got discouraged.

here's the thing -- we each have a different chemistry -- for myself, I have hypothyroidism, I have to jumpstart my metabolism by exercising and dieting -- one without the other just doesn't give me the results I'm looking for.

perhaps you should ask your doctor to check your thyroid -- all he does is take your blood and you have the results as soon as he gets the blood test back.

I understand about feeling lazy - - I blame it on the fatigue caused by the weight... or hey, maybe we just get lazy now and then.... I would suggest that when you do feel energetic, take advantage of that feeling and get going -- take a ten minute walk in one direction, and then walk back! that's 20 minutes right there! The next day you may not feel up to it, that's ok, but when you have that energy -- make it work for you.

Roo, the only one who can do this for you is you! You can do it, and I'm sure everyone here will support you each step of the way!

To your success on your quest!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Roo, welcome back!

I know you can do this! Lean on us when you need to and post, post, post!
Let's fight this battle together.....and BELIEVE in your heart that you can succeed!

Linda

Last edited by famograham; 02-14-2008 at 06:30 PM.
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Hey Roo - I'm from the "low-carb" thread...but I saw your post and wanted to reply.

Before I started my WOE (Atkins), I felt not only fat and lazy, but a lousy mother (have an 8yr old girl) cuz I never wanted to do anything but sit on my but...it seemed like I was always tired.

BUT...the more I did...the more I could do (suprising to me)...and that in itself was a motivater. I agree with most here...make small goals...and focus more on how you feel than how you look. The healthier you get inside...the healthier you'll look outside...Just my 2 1/2 cents! Cheer up...Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

Roo,

I agree with everyone here and want to stress what was already said:

Only YOU can do this...noone can do it for you.

I also can totally relate to having 100 pounds to lose and feeling lazy about it. Remember, the weight did not come on quickly and it will not come off quickly - if you want to keep the weight off it has to be a process that WILL take a while.

My encouragement to you would be simple: baby steps. Find something - ONE thing - that you can change: more water, not eating within 2 hours of bedtime, cutting down on chips or sweets or fast food. I heard someone on the radio recently that said they lost 50 pounds simply by not drinking soda and totally cutting out fast food. Find what works for you and grow from there. Change that one thing for at least 21 days and then reevaluate.

Personally, it took me years to come to the fact that I needed to get this weight off. Actually, I always knew I needed to get it off but I just wasn't ready. When I was able to wrap my brain around the fact that it was 'time' something in me just clicked. It isn't easy - it is a constant process that needs to be reevaluated regularly but it is working. I have almost one-third of the weight off that I want/need to get off! It does get easier, though, the longer I keep myself focused. I first became a member about 5-6 years ago (!) (oh, my! I just looked at the date and I have been a member for NINE years ~ oh, my!) but have just now gotten serious...when I first became a member I didn't even look at the "100 pound club" because I felt I didn't need to lose that much weight (I needed to lose about 80 then) - how pathetic is that?

One more thing...if you are feeling deprived also remember that you can eat ANYTHING as long as you plan for it.

Best of luck to you, Roo, and please stick around. This site is full of advice, encouragement, inspiration and motivation!

Last edited by Tonia; 02-14-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #8  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Roo -

I echo what everyone above has said! Many are experienced and successful dieters - but I am still a newbie, so my advice isn't grounded in much proof, but in my first 15 pounds, which to ME, is a victory!

I am WITH you about the laziness thing -- I too watch ALL the Biggest Loser, Celebrity Fit Club, FitTV workouts, etc..anything that should motivate me, and what am I doing while watching it? Usually sitting on my hindparts and drinking diet coke, and sometimes yes - eating popcorn, too. I AM encouraged with their success - but then I think "sure, if I lived in a gym and had a personal trainer 4 hours a day, I could do that, too!" But reality TV is so far from reality!

I started putting on weight about 25 years ago when I graduated from College - and have never successfully lost any of it - until now. This time I've had to MAKE myself realize it's NOT a diet - it's not temporary - I have to eat healthily and exercise for the rest of my life!! Once I DECIDED to do it, it took small changes, as everyone else said.

I gave up ALL fast food - cold turkey. The first 2 weeks sucked, now I don't miss it. I got on the treadmill - walked 10 minutes, all I could do. Now I'm up to 30 minutes plus 5 days/week at the gym with weight training. Was it easy? no. Did I cheat? You bet! Did I give up everything I like to eat? Nope. Did I drop 10 pounds a week like the folks on TBL?? Nope - but - what I have done is sticking. 1-2 pounds a week.

You have great support here, and I know you can begin your journey to success again, and you will make it! Please call for help from these wonderful people here, because it's been a GREAT motivation to me! Best of luck, Roo!!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Roo!

Many of us here have found that exercise alone does not lead to weight loss. Sooner or later, food has to be restricted in some way. Oh, there's that awful word! Restricted! But there is no way around it.

If you really want to lose, you'll find a way. It might be trying Weight Watchers again. It might be one of those other programs. There are all sort of reasons why a person might "fail" on a program--but that doesn't mean they will always fail--sometimes it's not the program's fault, it's just that the person wasn't in the right place at the time.

So, find a way. Look at your lifestyle, your daily schedule, your work and home. What sort of eating plan and exercise plan will fit with it?

In the meantime, you might try just writing down what you eat in a day--NOT to change anything! Just to see what it is. You may think you know already, but sometimes writing it down has interesting effects.

Good luck, Roo!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I know that 100 pounds can seem completely overwhelming - sometimes it does for me, too. But somebody here on 3FC has a wonderful signature line that helps me keep things in perspective. It something like, "I can't lose a hundred pounds, but I can lose ten pounds ten times." When I think of it that way, it seems a lot more possible.

You may want to spend some time figuring out what exactly feels overwhelming when you start trying to lose weight? Is it counting calories? Cutting out quick meals out? Scheduling your exercise? I would guess that it's probably not the entire process that's overwhelming you, but one component of it that is worse than the rest. Once you can figure out what the piece is, you should be able to come up with strategies for dealing with it. We'll help!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey Roo!

I can relate a lot to what you wrote. I'd order work out videos & sit down & watch them w/a pint of ice cream!

It's tough to get started. As others have mentioned, make small changes and set small goals. When I first started this time around, I told myself I would work out at least 3 days a week. The first week, I dreaded every single day. Now, I usually work out at least 4 days if not 5 or 6. I've also changed my eating habits. For me, it's counting calories & drinking much more water. I have to plan to go out to eat, which isn't easy. This week, I went to a steakhouse & ordered grilled chicken and a salad, when what I really wanted was an 8 oz filet and garlic mashed pototoes!

For me, it's about my health. I'm 36 & I have high blood pressure and I know it's from the weight. I can feel my knees beginning to give out.

You can do this. You just have to find out what works best for you.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Welcome back Roo!!!!
I too have been down all those other diet roads and failed miserably each time putting on more weight. I've tried the buckle up and just do it approach and would feel resentful not long into it. I can't say what's different this time other than I'm determined to succeed. I'm not focusing on the pounds lost, instead focusing on how much I enjoy being able to get up feeling refreshed in the morning, how much I love that I'm not wiped out and exhausted at 6:30 p.m. and ready for bed, and I love that food isn't controlling me right now.
I've learned throughout the years (I've been overweight my whole life) that this getting healthy and being the best I can is a matter of trial and error. I have found a few things that do work for me and know things that don't. If I find something not working for me I don't throw in the towel and blame the diet. I instead try to find something else I can do so I can find the fit that works for me.

Good luck. You can do this!!!
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Welcome! I relate to a lot of what you said. I, too, have been fat for over ten years now and hit a high around 280. All those years I tried every diet known to man. I would do fine for a few days and then just eat junk. I guess I really was not motivated enough to stick with anything long term.

This time is different. I am down 34 pounds now and feel incredible. I know I am going to make it to my goal. You can do this. The key is to never give up. When you fall, get back up. When you gain a pound, get right back on and fight to lose it again. Small changes over time = results.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

here's another echo to all that was said... find what works for you, take baby steps and the big key NEVER GIVE UP!!! Even if you slip which all have done. You look at what you did and try to learn from it... you'll get there. We are all here to help you so post post post!!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/244/160

Height: 5'3"

losing 100 is a scary thought. It seems like you will never get there. But I have seen so many people on tv and here on this site that have done it. And I know I can too. And I know you can. Being lazy is a problem of mine as well. When I am watching the Biggest Loser I like to get on my elliptical or I do my arm weights while I watch. I just feel so motivated watching them exercising and seeing their results that I have to get up and do something. I am actually going to a casting call for the Biggest Loser next weekend. But good luck to you, I hope you keep posting and finding motivation on here.
dali78 is offline   Reply With Quote