3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I need tips for how to form an exercise plan with an older accountibility partner! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/133983-i-need-tips-how-form-exercise-plan-older-accountibility-partner.html)

rakel 02-09-2008 02:59 PM

I need tips for how to form an exercise plan with an older accountibility partner!

Yesterday I went to the exercise room at my apartment complex, and all of the equipment was turned off, with the mats that were previously under the machines was laid out in the middle of the floor. It smelled very strongly of mold and mildew, and the apartment office was closed so we couldn't find out what was going on. So, my fiance's mom (she wants to be my accountability and exercise partner) and I went home and did an exercise ball workout from a DVD that came with an exercise ball that she recently purchased. It was fine, but it didn't really get me sweating, though she was having a really hard time with it. I just didn't feel like I got that great of a workout with it, however, I'm not sure if sweating profusely is really the point of doing the stretch/weight type exercises.

My question is, what kind of role should this type of exercise be in my weight loss program? If I were to do these things with weights, stretches, resistance (on and off the exercise ball), what else should I be doing for more...uh, cardiovascular activity and in what proportion? I.e. should I do the weights/stretches 2 days a week and then aerobic stuff 3 days a week? Or just do 20m of weights/stretches and then do my full aerobic workout 4 days a week?

I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. John's (my fiance) mom wants to do this with me, but I am concerned that will limit what I can do. Does anyone have ideas of things we can do where I can do a more intense workout than her? Like, we were doing that exercise ball DVD and it was really easy for me, but she was struggling. If I put it on the next skill level, then she'll be lost. She's 65, and I'm 22 and though I weigh more than her, I have noticed that I am much more flexible, stronger and have a longer endurance for things, as you might expect from two people at such different ages. I fear we may not really be that compatible for exercise partners. On the other hand I really want to make sure she does it because she's having some health problems with diabetes, her heart, etc, and exercising regularly every week will help her immensely.

CountingDown 02-09-2008 03:35 PM

While I am a bit younger than her, I am much closer to her age than yours. I like aerobic dance videos, or WATP. I was able to do them from the start and now, I do the same videos with more energy and enthusiasm. I still get my heart rate up, although I am much fitter and lighter than I was when I started. The young things in the video seem to be sweating pretty well too.

As for your other question, I think that strength, flexibility, toning workouts DO have a place in our routine. Regardless of our age. I don't think an elevated heart rate is a good indicator of how hard you have worked out. I think your muscles are a better indicator. Some of my most intense muscle-challenging workouts are pilates and yoga routines.

I think it is wonderful that you are considering doing this with her, and with a little creativity and experimentation, I believe that you can find things that will challenge both of you.

xtrisaratops 02-09-2008 03:54 PM

I'm all for WATP videos, because they are so adaptable! They can be easily modified into an easier workout if necessary, but can also be modified to be more challenging by adding more kicks or knee-lifts, heavier weights, higher resistance stretchy bands, etc. You get cardio and strength training all in one with them, even though you may not feel it until the next day!

Just because you are exercising together doesn't mean you have to do EXACTLY the same things. Sometimes, just having another person there to talk to while you're working out does wonders. For example, you don't have to walk at the same speed on a treadmill, or go the same speed on an exercise bike, or lift the same weights.

I think as time goes by, she'll eventually start to catch up to you. She'll start getting stronger and developing more cardiovascular strength and endurance. I also think it's very admirable of you to care enough about her health that you're willing to come up with something you can both do together and still see great results.

bigtxmomma 02-09-2008 04:55 PM

Strength/stretches won't make you sweat too much at first. I think once you really start doing it harder and harder you'll build up a sweat. But you'll feel it work in your muscles.

I really like Walk Away the Pounds, if you're looking for cardio/aerobic stuff. It's really simple and uncomplicated (just walking, leg lifts, kicks, etc), and you can adapt it and bump it up and get a good sweat. I use hand weights with it and they have these stetchy things to do strength stuff while you're walking, which will combine both.

rakel 02-09-2008 10:11 PM

I'll look into the WATP stuff -- I think that sounds like it would work for the both of us.

CountingDown -- thanks for encouraging me about the other stuff. I guess I just feel guilty, like I'm not really doing much if I'm not pouring sweat. I can definitely see how it can get more challenging though. For example, one of the last exercises on the DVD was to get into a crunch position on the exercise ball... it was harder to do than if I was on the floor... but it was so much nicer to my butt to have the ball for a cushion rather than my tail bone digging into the floor!

hafowler 02-09-2008 10:38 PM

I don't know what time constraints you're working with, but I do Peggy Campy's Yoga For the Rest of Us with my older mom every morning, then do something more challenging in the afternoon. When it's warmer, we walk together as well.