Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #1  
Determined!!!

S/C/G: 275/261/150

Height: 5'

Thumbs up Does anyone Jog???

I am 261 pounds and want to jog. I never see anyone jogging that is over weight. I know it burns calories, I was thinking something on the lines of incorporating it into a brisk walk to break it up. Is it that bad on your knees?
Chelavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #2  
No description available.

Hey,
Check out the Cool Runners thread down in the exercise area. We have actually discussed that this month. There is a Couch to 5 K program that some people use. Working up cardio stamina, leg strength, and joint endurance can help you on your journey. I think YP1, HeatherAngel, and LisaMarie all started running at similar weights (I apologize if I am misremembering). I know that for me, running is vital to weight loss. I started out by walking and incorporating short spurts of running (literally I would run the straight side of a track and walk the curve).

See ya in the Cool Runners thread!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #3  
Determined!!!

S/C/G: 275/261/150

Height: 5'

Thanks, midwife. I will check it out. I am motivated and looking for tips and motivation!
Chelavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Jogging works really, really well for me too. One thing I would recommend-- buy a brand new pair of sneakers (and replace them frequently-- on the order of every 3 months if you are running daily) and you'll be much happier for it.
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/188/130

Height: 5'6"

I do (I call it running because it sounds better to me.) I started doing it at my highest weight. I've never had any knee problems or soreness from it (this is not a guarantee, of course.) I did what midwife did - when I was starting out I ran down the street as far as I could, walked a bit to recover, ran a bit, etc.

I do caution you to wear good shoes, though. When I first started I only had shoes that were worn out along the outside edges, and that did cause me some knee soreness, but new shoes fixed that right up. They are a good investment.
Rosemund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #6  
No description available.

Ditto what the others said: good shoes are essential. If you have a specialty store where they can analyze your gait, take advantage of it! Good shoes will help you avoid injury.

Last edited by midwife; 01-13-2008 at 08:06 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I started recently at 232. With the right shoes you should be okay. The first week is a bit of a surprise (I had new muscles sore I never even knew were used to run!)

You might want to take it really slow and alternate jogging with walking (try 30seconds running first with 4.5 walking) then in a few weeks try 1 minute jogging with 4 walking) If you follow a c25k program you'll likely have to repeat weeks but thats perfectly ok.

Most importantly listen to your body!

-muse (who's upto 1.25 jogging and 3.75 walking)

Last edited by Idealmuse; 01-13-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #8  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I started jogging last fall and it quickly became my favorite form of exercise. I started much like the others did, alternating between walking and jogging a block at the time. I added a block to the jogging part as I built up my stamina. Ditto on the good shoes too. Do start out slow and warm up/cool down with a brisk walk and/or stretches.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #9  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

Yes, I do and it has been absolutely crucial to my continued weight loss. I haven't plateaued yet and I attribute that 100% to starting to run. It's a funny thing, too, because it gets addicting after awhile (it really sucks at first though, stick with it). It gets incredibly easier as you lose weight, it really does, and I think it is the most efficient way to lose weight. I started running to lose weight, and now I am motivated to continue losing weight to hopefully continue to improve my running. What a vicious circle.
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #10  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Hey there! I also started running (or learning to run really:P) at my heaviest weight. I did a "learn to run" program at the Running Room. I don't know if you have that where you are, but I highly recommend it! It's a 10 week program, you start walking 1 min running 1 min X 10 and then by the end you run 5 K. It conditions you so gradually that you don't risk injury or knee problems. The dude who came up with this program (and started up the Running Room stores as well I think) wrote a book, which also has training schedules in it plus a bunch of other good info. You might try to find it in the library or wherever. (Running-start to finish John Stanton) If you can't find the book, just PM me if you're interested in the beginner's training schedule and I'll type it up for you!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #11  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I started the Couch to 5K program when I was 292. I use the conservative C25K from beginnertriathlete.com but there are others available. I just felt that at my weight when I started that I really needed to take it slow. The only problem I have had has been with heel spurs but it was short-term and not so bad that I couldn't run. I am currently running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute alternating for 30 minutes total with an additional warm up and cool down period. I also started with new running shoes. So, it can be done just listen to your body.

Good Luck!
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #12  

Does everyone feel that running TONES the body? or do you feel it just burns the fat off? Also..I read alot where people say they LOVE running? Does it give you extra energy boost? Or do you love that it is easier and quicker form of exercise?
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8

I've had stress fractures a few times & Plantar Fasciitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis) once. So my general dr., the podiatrist & the trainer I met with to get the basic layout of the gym have all agreed that I should wait until I'm 180 to start jogging. I'm still working on it (lower impact exercise like ellipticals, walking, etc. in the meantime).

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from a higher intensity exercise. And anyone of any size can be prone to injury if they dive into a new exercise program too quickly. But those of us in the 100 or more to lose category are probably even more vulnerable, because of the weight put on bones, joints, etc. I'd start slow and/or run it by a dr.

One of my stress fractures happened because I started jogging without preparing my body properly for it. I had to wear a soft shoe cast for about a month and then my activity was still limited for a bit after that. I lost the motivation to exercise & gained even more weight. And eventually, I wound up at my all time high of 250. I'd hate to see anyone else have that kind of setback. Please be mindful of avoiding injury.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #14  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I started the couch to 5K plan at coolrunning.com when I was in the 250's. I had to repeat the weeks many times over. Right now I up to doing 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog. Next step is jog 20 min straight with no walking break.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yes, but I can only seem to jog for .12 of a mile at a time! I walk on the treadmill at 3.7 mph and throw in spurts of jogging here and there to make it 3 miles.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote