Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 309/250/200 (for now)

Height: 5 foot 2

It took me a long time but about a year ago I came to accept that I simply couldn't have any junk food in the house OR anything that I couldn't just have one or two of at a time unless they are a vegetable. So for example, I can't even have rice cakes in the house because if I eat one I will eat the whole packet. So, they just can't be around me.
SarahJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

There are only a few things besides fruit, that I can keep in our home that won't tempt me to overeat: vanilla ice cream, popcorn, low-fat puddings, and homemade bran muffins.

Putting things in our storage locker does help some becuz we forget it's there after awhile; but, I just prefer not to have the stuff in the house, than risk eating them out of boredom.

ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #33  
Determined

S/C/G: 209/166/150

Height: 5' 6"

Unfortunately, YES.

Boyfriend and his daughter have:
  • Ice Cream
  • Doritos
  • Flaming Hot Cheetos (SAVE ME!!! THESE TEMPT ME THE MOST!)
  • Cookies
  • Chocolate Candy
  • Yummy Breakfast Cereals (I miss Cap'n Crunch)

I try to ignore them. The food that is. Sometimes when they eat, I have to leave the room to 'do' something.
Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #34  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I've got an 8yr old so and a BF who is not overweight so YES...I do have junk food in my house...splenty of it! But, I also have splenty of healthy stuff for me! Since I do all the cooking, I always prepare my low-carb food and add carbs for my daughter/boyfriend. The cookies, chips, etc. don't bother me at all cuz I always keep "good foods" that I enjoy around so while there smacking away...so am I...only on the good stuff! I find having "good foods" around and prepared is imperative to resisting the temptation of aromatic pizza, chips, etc.

I look at them and think...if you only knew what you are missing, as I gorge on my creamy seafood bisque...hmm..hmm..hummmmm...yummmmmy!
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #35  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

nope, no junk food. I figure, it's not real food anyway, I sure as heck don't need all that chemical junk and fat and sugar in me, so I'll save myself some money and not buy it.

If I have to have something salty, I have some nuts (measured out of course) and if it's a sweet treat I need, I'll have a mocha chocolate organic granola bar with protein and fibre and sitll actually tastes like a chocolate bar to me now LOL

If people are coming over I'll lift the ban for the night, but as soon as they're gone all the leftovers in the trash asap!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

There's not alot of junk food in our house. My DH has some tortilla chips and hard candy...that's about it. If I want any of that stuff - I'll go out on a "cookie date" with my husband. Or - have a bite of dessert at a restaurant. I do better if it's not in the house.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

his is a tough one for me, but I am replacing the kids' snacks and junk gradually. Instead of potato chips, now I have one bag of baked tortilla chips and some pretzels. Instead of cookies I let them pick some low sugar granola bars and rice cakes. Instead of pudding and ice cream, I have been buying them tons of yogurts. I know the Yoplait yogurts are full of sugar and stuff so I am hoping to find a lower sugar, organic type brand they like. I also keep fresh fruits around. Also string cheese. No sodas except special occasions. Almost always water.

For me, I replaced crackers with whole wheat Thin Crisps. I have boxes of Fiber One granola bars and Quaker mini chocolate drizzle rice cakes, but so far I have not binged on those. I keep baby carrots for my hummus. I CAN NOT keep cookies, or chocolate in the house. I binge.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #38  

Height: 5'8"

I don't have junk food in the house per se, as like other posters I am trying to teach my kids a healthier lifestyle. This is not always easy but it seems to be working for us.

Now, if I want something, I buy it and count it into my calories for the day. If I didn't this journey would be horrible. I have a sweet tooth [honestly, I was shocked at the calories I was consuming just at the basketball/soccer game!]. I do think it is working for my kids as when I do buy something it is no longer consumed within a few minutes but sometimes lasts a couple of days! We are truly living by the "all things in moderation" rule. Also, I have found that I want these things less and less - and that they do not taste as good as I thought they would when I get them.

btw, while I HATE the plugs from TBL, I have found that gum (I prefer Orbit) really helps with my sweet tooth.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I have a few candies for treats for the kids but basically my kids eat healthier than I do. My husband has totally different taste in junk than I do so I try to buy stuff he likes that I don't. The main thing is I try to keep lots of healthy treats for me so if I do feel like snacking I have lots of good options. I usually keep, sugar free chocolate, cookies from the helth food store that are no everything, fruit, peanut butter etc.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #40  
Meowsah

S/C/G: 317/239.4/150

Height: 5'6"

I keep two snacks in my house. Healthy Choice Fudge Bars and Animal Crackers. When I'm feeling snacky I usually munch on the serving size of Animal Crackers and that satisfies my craving.

But if any other junk food comes into the house, I'll eat it. Not just the recommended serving size, but ALL of it. So I just prefer not to bring it in at all.

Luckily for me, my boyfriend doesn't like keeping junk food around either, so I have some support.
Noelani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down No junk food here. None. except ...

No junk food here. None.

Except for some little something to service my DW's two weird diseases:
1) Chocolatitis, and
2) OneServingAtATimeitis.
[ Would you believe, one small piece, once per day. Imagine trying to live with such a person. ]

Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #42  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

This is a really interesting thread.

We have no major junk food in the house. We have a thing of animal crackers my mom bought for my daughter while she was visiting last week. I have chocolate chips for baking, which my husband eats handfuls of. And flour and sugar for baking.

For snack food, we have sugar free jello, low fat string cheese, nuts.

But this wasn't really because I'm trying to change my diet. We did it a couple of months ago just to be healther and eat fewer processed foods.

Last edited by bigtxmomma; 02-03-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: less/fewer mistake, lawl
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #43  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

Yes we have junk food in here since my hubby, mother-in-law, and kids eat them. I don't mind it being in here, it actually helps me more seeing it there and not grabbing it. I have my mind set on one thing and no junk food gonna stop me
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #44  
Losing the weight in 2008

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Like many of the previous posters, we try to eat mostly whole foods, and have for many years now, so we don't technically have any junk food in the house - but...trust me, you can still get fat on good for you foods! My favorite binge foods are cheeses and breads, cereal, gorgeous buttery toasts, frozen yogurt, sigh. I have stopped baking any cookies but have made some low fat high fibre zucchini muffins that weigh about 2 lbs each. I'm the only one who likes them though . Work is another story...but I can't control that.
Healthy Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Yeah, we have it in the house (I'm just starting, so a lot of the junk is from the way I used to eat. Money is pretty tight so I just can't bring myself to throw it away!) What has really helped me has been logging my daily food in FitDay.com. If i know i have to write it down and look at the way it adds to my calories when I could have had something more filling for less, the sugar just isn't as tempting! I'm pretty driven by numbers and statistics tho, so it probably doesn't work for everybody.

I can't remember what post I read this on, but it really stuck to me. I wish I could give the person credit, so let me know if it was you! Anyway, what she said was "I eat 1) anything I want, 2) as much as I want, 3) anytime I want" but she can only pick two of the three at a time. If you get rid of everything at once, it may help so that your not tempted at home, but if you get offered a favorite junk food at a friends house it may be impossible to say no! If you can allow yourself to have a treat when you want it, just not very much, or allow yourself a bigger treat just not very often, you won't feel like you're depriving yourself as much (at least thats my case. I know everyone faces different challenges!) Best of luck!
alliegater is offline   Reply With Quote