Terrified of upcoming trip to inlaws!

• First off, let me say that I love my inlaws. They are great to me and I love them very much.

DH and I are going to visit them starting this Friday for 6 days. The problem is that my inlaws never cook. I can only remember a hand full of times that we actually ate in their kitchen over the last 13 years, even when we lived only a few miles away.
    They will often eat 3 meals a day out! I could handle some dinners out, I can certainly go on vacation and eat okay on my own - but their restaurant choices are not healthy ever. Even when DH or I suggest something a little healthier, they just want to go to their favorites. We offer to cook, and they refuse the offer.

They know that I am eating healthy, but have the mentality that this is a vacation, so it's okay.
    The thing that is scariest to me, is that I plateaued at almost exactly the weight I am at now and got stuck there for months and months.

The only saving grace is that we are staying at MIL's parent's house (while they are in Florida), so I am hoping that we can buy some groceries and cook some of our own meals.

I know this is stupid and silly, but I can't help it. I want to enjoy our visit with them, and not be so worried about food and my weight!!
  • Definitely buy your own groceries, ASAP! If they want to go to an unhealthy place then you can eat a quick salad or sandwich, then either not eat or get ask for a salad, most places will make you one even if not on menu. You can eat when you get back home again if you are still hungry. I learned on here from some others that you can ask them to make you something not on the menu and most places will do it. I didn't know that beforehand, but you should definitely try it! Ask them to make you a simple grilled chicken sandwhich, or if they only have white bread ask for a grilled chicken breast and a basic salad. You can make it work! Having something at home before you go could really be key to helping you not want to bad things you'll be faced with.

I know you can do it! Look at all your progress...think about all the sweat and tears...and before you go think back to all your reasons for going on this journey. This is the kind of situation we will all have to learn to get through...and you just need to assert yourself and do what is right for YOU. Don't worry about hurting their feelings...if they were thinking that much about you they'd be more flexible on where you ate, right? Do what is right for YOU and you'll get through this wonderfully!
  • Lori, this is not stupid at all! I understand completely. My in-laws don't cook much either. Almost every single dinner is eaten out or they bring home take-out. I found that I had to take things into my own hands. They can't pick you up, put you in the car and drive you to the restaurant, right? I know it might be difficult, but stand your ground and let them know that you are not going to eat out and definitely will not eat at restaurants with no healthy on-plan options for you. At first, they might push back, but stand your ground and they will get the hint. I reverted to bringing my own meals to my in-laws or cooking something for myself.....and, I refused to go out for dinner.

I hope everything goes well...and I hope you enjoy your visit.
  • My boyfriends parents are always eating something that is fried or soaked in tons of butter and grease!Don't get me wrong I love them very much, and they're all very skinny (they never have to worry about weight) My boyfriend is like thin too. When I go there, I always tell her that I am on a diet,and can only eat certain things, she tells me that i should love myself for me, and not want to be thin(her daughter is very overweight) But I tell her that I need this because I am always tired...She usually understands, and makes me green beans or somethiing (last year she had planted me a garden of green beans!they were so yummy!) Sometimes you have to be sincere,and tell them that this is what your heart is telling you to do, and always pack your own food for any event with them, if they get offended, tell them not be offended because you're doing this with your heart,and mind and health!They should understand. I wouldn't stress it to much, You've come quiet a way,andI'm sure you've always made a way through obstacles!Good Luck!
  • Thanks, I know I can make it. It will be hard, but the important thing is the people I am going to see.

I will be packing some of my own foods, and we will do our best to steer the eating to healthier places!