Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Default A question for fitness people??

What is your favourite online "Calories Burned" calculator???

I know fitday's is wayyy low, but I'd like your input on one that is more realistic.

Thanks

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally,

I don't use any "calories burned" calculator. One way to get a semi accurate count of how many calories you have burned is to use a heart rate meter.

I figure I just do what exercise I can and eat healthfully and hopefully lose the weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #3  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

I second Nelie, I've been working my butt off and eating right, I've been losing the weight so something has been working.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #4  
Meg

I've never tried to calculate the calories I've burned through exercise. The only way to do it accurately would be in a lab - not very practical! The online calculators are so generic and approximate that they're misleading and pretty useless, IMO. I use a heart rate monitor too, to gauge the intensity of my exercise, but know that even it uses a generic formula and isn't really measuring MY calories burned.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #5  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I agree. The number of calories your body burns doing a certain activity is highly subjective, and therefore I don't rely on any sort of "calories burned" estimation---online calculators or the numbers that the equipment says I've burned (you know how sometimes treadmills/ellipticals/etc will say how many calories you are meant to have burned during a workout? I've heard that these tend to drastically overestimate calories burned?).

I just figure out (by trial and error) what is a good intensity and length of workouts for me to lose weight. Then I keep that up for a while. Eventually, my body gets used to doing what I'm asking it to do, and I start to see that I'm not losing as much, so I up my workout a little or I tweak my diet. Obviously, some online calculators could probably give you a decent estimate, but since the only way to really tell how many calories you've burned is to factor in your specific body, I would not rely on those numbers as a rule.

The good news is, no matter the number of calories you've burned, you're definitely doing yourself some good. Even if you don't see benefits of movement in your weight loss goals (you probably will), you're doing your heart a huge favor by getting the blood flowing!

I realize my ticker makes it look like I have no idea what I'm talking about. My info is based on my past experiences with weight loss, and also on what my dietitian recommended to me a while ago. Good luck to you!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #6  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I use a heart rate monitor, I figure that gives me a close estimate. The machines are always high. Even when it reads my heart rate from the monitor I'm wearing and I input my age and weight, it still goes out a good bit higher then the heart rate monitor.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #7  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I love this question because I choose to wayyyy under estimate. They really dont' matter to me...however, when my elliptical states I burned 650 calories, I just assume the true number is about half of that...so I don't get my hopes up
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I just eat on plan, work out and try my hardest and the pounds come off when they come off.

I do use a heart rate monitor - I mainly got it initially though as I was at a weight where I was concerned I would overdo it and collapse or something! It has my data all put into it but obviously it's only going to give a fairly generic output of my 'calories burned'. If I do ever get interested I look at it and always halve the amount it says, just to compensate for any overestimation of what I may have burnt
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote