3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Comparisons and Moments of Truth (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/129892-comparisons-moments-truth.html)

BattleAx 01-01-2008 05:23 PM

Comparisons and Moments of Truth

I was out today for my fitness walk, and the streets were filled with people starting their New Year's resolutions for exercise. hehehe...

It was very clear who the new exercisers were, because they were a huffin' and a puffin' all over the place.

One woman was out wearing shorts (?!) and trying desperately to jog up a hill. Having struggled up the same hill in the same condition as her many times, I understood how she was feeling. As she saw me bounding past her with nary a heavy breath, I could see her glancing my way...a little shocked... as she was wheezing and struggling.

It got me thinking about what was going through her mind. I can only imagine what it was like for her to see a very obese woman sprinting past her as if it was nothing.

I've had many moments like she probably had today, on my way up the scale. I have a lot of compassion for her, and hope she sticks with her program.

Heather 01-01-2008 05:29 PM

That's a great story!! It's great to see how far we've come -- and to still have compassion for others who are just getting going. Sometimes I see heavy women at the gym struggling and I want to go up to them and give a big cheer and congratulate them and tell them where I've come from! However, I just don't think that's the right venue, so I never do. I don't know how that would look or sound or what I would have thought if someone did that to me!

Purplefirefly 01-01-2008 05:31 PM

wow, what an amazing experience for you! To pretty much run by your past self and realize how far you have come...I bet that felt wonderful though you felt bad for her as well. If you see her out there again, maybe you could say something that would encourage her, like "I was in your shoes a year ago, keep trying" or something, jsut to let her know that it is possible to be running that hill if she doesn't give up. Just a thought, I'm sure she would like to have known that she wasn't doing it for nothing. I often wonder about the women I see when I exercise, just wondering where they started, if they were ever heavy, etc.

Nori71 01-01-2008 05:41 PM

Great story!

I always wonder about people and if they are on a weight loss journey too! Occasionally it works out to chat and some of the stories you hear are so inspirational! I think it's funny when I get those quick 2nd and 3rd glances and tell myself it's because I'm the biggest girl on an eliptical and I'm going the fastest. I'm sure it looks silly and jiggly (and that's probably why there's 2nd glances in the first place!)...but oh well!

Purplefirefly 01-01-2008 05:49 PM

Let them stare and just smile back at them! They will pass you in a few months and say "wow, is that the same girl?" :)

BattleAx 01-01-2008 06:05 PM

Oh, I don't care so much about the stares! Of course I notice, but the stares don't make me feel bad or ashamed. I'm just happy to be improving my health. I feel great, and I am living proof that it is possible to get in shape no matter what your size. At the same time, it surely must be a surprise for others to see a very large woman working it! I would think they expect someone of my size to be struggling and unable to keep up with a workout. Who knows, maybe if others not in perfect-looking condition see me out there exercising, they will feel encouraged to try themselves.

I definitely plan to be smaller this time next year, but in the meantime, I'm in pretty good shape! It feels good to be healthy, even if I'm not at my weight goal yet.

L144S 01-01-2008 06:57 PM

BA,
You know what is going through my mind? As you said I HOPE you inspired that woman to keep going and keep plugging away. AND the next time you see her, I hope you can give her some words of encouragment (as you pass her up the hill) to let her know that was you just X months back.

-L

Lifeguard 01-01-2008 07:18 PM

That is great! I had a similar experience when I went to a group fitness class & whopped them all on the rower. You could tell they all were feeling a little crappy that the fat girl had beat them but they all wanted to know what I had been doing to get into such good shape - lol!

I also have the desire to tell heavy women at the gym "Good for you!" but am worried about insulting someone. There was one woman in a group fitness class (different night) who has really struggling & quite heavy. I SO wanted to go over & say "hey, I totally get how much this sucks right now - but look how far you can get." But I was too worried I'd make her feel awkward so I didn't.

knitsforfive 01-01-2008 07:45 PM

See now, sometimes I am at the gym, working my tail off and talking myself into those last few minutes, and I imagine someone approaching me and telling me I am doing a great job and then sharing their own journey to success. Seriously, it is that fantasy alone that often gets me to the end of my work out.

In fact, Lifeguard, at the gym the other day, I could have sworn you walked in. It looked just like your avatar. Just the thought that it was you on the elliptical, considering your tremendous success, kept me going. Of course, I came home only to discover you live nowhere near me, but it didn't matter. I'd done the work out.

So I say, go ahead, offer encouragement! I bet you would offend very few people and really motivate the rest!