3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Butter or Margarine? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/129499-butter-margarine.html)

Charbar 12-27-2007 12:12 PM

Butter or Margarine?

I'm trying to do natural - whole foods. Fat - what do you use? Shockingly, we all need it. What do you use and why?
Don't tell me you don't use butter or margarine - you must have one of them in your house.

GirlyGirlSebas 12-27-2007 12:15 PM

I use 'I Cant Believe Its Not Butter' spray on my veggies and Lite Smart Balance spread on my bread, etc.

Trazey34 12-27-2007 12:26 PM

I admit it - i use butter! I don't use much (ie no more crusty white bread, sigh...) but when I cook, I find a smidgen of butter and a smidgen of EVOO makes anything heavenly -- the butter for the taste, and the evoo for the high heat won't burn thing LOL, so good!

and for some weird reason i'd much rather have a tiny smidgen of something that came from a cow or a plant than something manufactured -- considering the junk i used to shovel in, it's a strange turn of events LOL

Nori71 12-27-2007 12:30 PM

Butter baby! :yes: I use Organic Valley's European Style Cultured Butter. It's out of this world, even very small amounts of it on veggies are wonderful!

I do use EVOO in lots of cooking though.

Janie Canuck 12-27-2007 12:41 PM

Funny, I was crabbing about this to DH not 20 minutes ago! I have flip-flopped back and forth so many times, because every expert you read gives you conflicting opinions. Right now I use butter, though I just read something that came in the mail saying we should avoid butter and use soft margarine instead. I wish someone would decide once and for all which one is better for you!

rockinrobin 12-27-2007 12:59 PM

Honestly, I don't use either very often. I NEVER have bread and butter, NEVER butter my veggies, I don't use it in my oatmeal. So, what's left? And quite honestly, I never liked either to begin with, even back in the day - the 287 lb day.

When I'm sauteeing or grilling or making veggies - it's cooking spray and a bit of olive oil.

When I bake, which is infrequently, I prefer to use the real thing - butter. The calories are the same, so why not go with the authentic product?

Schmoodle 12-27-2007 01:12 PM

I mostly use EVOO in cooking. Sometimes canola oil.
I use Smart Balance for spread.
And I use regular mayo vs. reduced fat, because it's made with healthy fats.
I do keep butter on hand and use it sparingly in cooking. DH hates margarine, so he uses it, but it lasts us a long time.

Slashnl 12-27-2007 01:31 PM

Butter! You just have to limit how much. I just don't think that margarine can possibly good for you when it has nearly the same chemical makeup as plastic. Spooky!

JerseyGyrl 12-27-2007 01:33 PM

I'm an Atkins girl so of course I use BUTTER! I use it in moderation. I also use EVOO.

For those of you that use butter...you MUST try Irish butter (Kerigold)...its delish!!!

jillybean720 12-27-2007 01:47 PM

I honestly don't pay much attention to whether the front of the package says butter or margarine--I just look at the nutritional information and the price. I usually buy the fat free Promise soft spread (I'm assuming it's a margarine--5 calories per tablespoon) or the Brummel & Brown spread that's made with yogurt. We don't use it a lot, though, as we never have bread and butter (except on holidays); I'd say we only go through maybe 3 of those little plastic tubs in a year, and even that may be a high estimate. I almost never bake, and if I do, I often use applesauce in place of the butter/oil. When cooking, I use oil (olive oil or macadamia nut oil) and cooking spray.

SoulBliss 12-27-2007 01:49 PM

Earth Balance margarine is natural. I like the "whipped" one, as it is organic. Both are free of hydrogenated oils and cholesterol.

JayEll 12-27-2007 01:59 PM

I use olive oil for dressings and PAM for cooking. I use butter very rarely for flavoring. I avoid margarine.

The trick is the amount...

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas 12-27-2007 02:03 PM

OMG, this is too funny! I was thinking that EVOO was a new product......only to just now realize that its olive oil!:dizzy: Yes, we use olive oil in almost all of our recipes for Southbeach.

SoulBliss 12-27-2007 02:14 PM

Extra Virgin Coconut oil is my first choice, really.

BattleAx 12-27-2007 02:25 PM

Butter all the way, baby! I can't stand the taste and smell of margarine, and the idea of the chemicals it took to make it look and taste somewhat butter-like. I use olive oil more than butter. Natural, delicious foods can't be beat.