Needing "Smart Choices" Christmas Recipes!!

• Okay, so I had a difficult time at Thanksgiving, as I was surrounded by foods that were not "diet friendly." I, for one, do not consider myself to be on a "diet," but for a lack of a better word, I will call it that.

I am starting this thread to hopefully get some recipes that my 3FC will use for Christmas and still stay on track so I can have some delish recipes without messing up my plan.

Anyone have low-calorie/low-fat/healthy recipe(s) you will use for your Christmas party, breakfast, entertaining, main meal, etc? If so, would you mind sharing with us?

Thanks in advance!! I can't wait to see what we come up with.
  • Hi , I don't have any recipes, but some suggestions for websites:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl...liday%20Heaven
    http://www.fatfreevegan.com/etl/index.shtml
    http://eatingwell.com/
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.vegetariantimes.com

If any of these links don't work, just copy and paste them..
    I celebrate winter solstice and will just make a special meal like xmas, chanakuh, but haven't thought about it really, I know I will not be making pie, and am thinking of making something I saw on the prevention site. Since it will be just my small family , it is not going to be about fancy just comfort and happiness. Good luck with finding what you are looking for, I will be looking at the suggestions too, maybe I can find some cool new recipes.
    cheryl
  • There are some ideas in this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...oliday+recipes

And my old standbys have become deviled eggs and crudites.

At Thanksgiving, we went to my mom's but I wanted to make sure I could have a whole meal, so I volunteered to bring an appetizer, two side dishes, and two desserts. I made a smoked salmon spread on reduced fat triscuits and baby pumpernickel that everybody tore into - It's cream cheese based, but I used neufchatel, and it only called for 4 oz and made a bunch.
    Cold Salmon Spread
    2 T butter
    1/2 cup sliced shallots
    1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
    3/4 lb red salmon steak
    1 T chicken stock
    1/2 lb smoked salmon diced
    4 oz cream cheese
    1 t lemon zest
    1 t dijon mustard
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    Melt butter in a skillet and saute vegetables 5 minutes. Place salmon steak over vegetables and drizzle with chicken stock. Cover and cook 10 minutes over low heat until fish flakes easily. Remove skin and bones from fish. Blend fish and vegetables in blender or food processor until smooth Add remaining ingredients and blend until smoked salmon is finely chopped but not smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving. Makes 3 cups.

I've made this appetizer too, and it's really yummy:
    Rachel Ray's Antipachos
    Cut one package of whole wheat pitas into 6 wedges each. Place wedges onto cookie sheets (this will take 2 sheets). Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Bake in 350 - 400 degree oven until crispy and starting to brown. While baking, drain well one jar kalamata olives, one jar roasted red pepper strips, and one can artichoke hearts (or can use frozen, thawed and drained). Cut veggies/olives into bite-sized chunks and scatter over pitas. Top with shredded low-fat provolone or other Italian cheese. Put under broiler or in hot oven to heat and melt cheese.

This amount will make two cookie sheets and should yield 8 appetizer sized servings.

This would be nice for a company breakfast:
    Zucchini Frittata

Line pie plate with basil leaves or spinach. Saute about 3 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks, in olive oil, until very soft. Mix ½ tsp cornstarch in a little milk. Add 4 eggs and milk to total 1 ½ cups, 1/s cup grated parmesan, oregano, mint. Pour ½ mixture over leaves. Add zucchini and rest of egg mixture. Bake.

Haven't tried this one yet, but I'm intrigued:
    South Beach Eggnog
    Provided by: The South Beach Diet - Online
    "Phase 2 and 3 dieters will enjoy this delicious version of eggnog for all of the winter holiday occasions." Original recipe yield: 2 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 cup egg substitute
    1 tablespoon artificial sweetener
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated skim milk
    1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
    1/2 tablespoon brandy extract
    Nutmeg
  • Thank you both VERY MUCH!!! These are great!! I appreciate this!