What do you put in your Tuna?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I like Tuna...with Mayo. I do use light mayo and 2 Tbsp is only 90 calories, but I worry about the fat. And really 90 calories could be an apple with my tuna, instead of in it. I don't like dry Tuna...anyone have any interesting ways of preparing it?
  • I recently tryed hummus!! I also mixed some salsa in with it.
  • Oooooo, salsa sounds great!
  • I use a cilantro salad dressing from Trader Joe's that has 30 calories per 2 Tbsp. It was really hard for me to make this switch because before eating tuna was half about having the mayo.
  • I used to make tuna with nonfat plain yogurt since it makes it creamy and is a bit healthier than mayo. I also used to put some mustard, chopped celery, chopped tomatoes, chopped pickles and some pepper.
  • I hate tuna, but when I make chicken salad, I use the reduced fat mayo that only has 20 calories a tablespoon. Really tastes pretty decent. It's got 2 grams of fat per tablespoon which I don't really worry about because I'm usually trying to get enough fat.

I like to put those little diced ortega chiles in the chicken. Not sure how that would taste in tuna but it's great in the chicken with a little salsa.
  • I put, well, more tuna in my tuna. Yeah, I eat it plain. I like it over a salad. This way the salad needs no dressing and the tuna needs no dressing either. I know that was zero help to you.

How about cutting back on the mayo? How about 1 TBSP instead of 2? Then maybe as you get used to it, you can try 1 tsp.

Or how about chopped onions and celery?
  • What about 1 tblsp of mayo, and adding some lettuce and tomato!!!
  • Hi,
    I put red wine vinegar with lime and salt/pepper in it... Maybe you can find a ff salad dressing to put in it??
    cheryl
  • I use a smidgen of low fat mayo and a bigger squeeze of a mustard/horseradish blend and a little diced green APPLE! sounds weird but the crunch and little bit of sweet is wicked
  • This isn't for everyone, but I like to add salsa to tuna to make it moister and also more zingy. I also buy those packages of spiced tuna with crackers--Bumble Bee makes them. I like the spicy thai chili and also the lemon pepper (which isn't hot).

Jay
  • Trader Joes makes an AWESOME Parmesan Ranch lowfat salad dressing - it only adds 25 calories and gives amazing zing and creaminess to the tuna.
  • For my tuna sandwiches I use:

Light mayo/light miracle whip (whichever one) and then Gulden's Mustard (but I'm sure whatever mustard works fine) or instead of the mustard (and I'm not sure this is better or anything, but I love the taste) some pickle relish.
  • How about using Dijonnaise? It only has 5 calories per teaspoon and 0 grams of fat.
  • I love my tuna with light mayo, lettuce, and corn.

My colombian bf eats his with mayo, ketchup, and hard boiled egg. It sounds weird, but it's really yummy.