3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   101 Ways to Make Vegetables (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/126111-101-ways-make-vegetables.html)

hellokitty81668 10-31-2007 07:40 AM

Stewed Chayote with Tomato and Epazote
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitche n.com

Category: Chayote
Serves/Makes: 6 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:

2 chayotes
2 small tomatoes, roasted
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 Arbol chilies
1 1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried epazote

Directions:
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium low heat. Saute the onion
with the whole chilies for about 2 minutes, without browning. Add the tomato
garlic puree and continue cooking, stirring and scraping the bottom and
corners of the pan for about 3 minutes, until thickened and reduced. Add the
chayotes, water and salt. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat.

After 10 minutes, add the epazote, cover the pan again and cook for 10 to 15
minutes more, until the chayote is softened but not watery.

Note: To roast a tomato, heat a dry skillet or griddle over high heat. Roast
the whole tomato, turning when the bottom is slightly charred, until it is
golden brown with charred patches on all sides, but not burned, the flesh will
be quite mushy. Leave the skin on.
Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower with Sour Cream

12 ounces baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, about 2 1/2 cups
1 1/4 pounds cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces, about 4 1/2 cups
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine cauliflower and potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer about 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
Add sour cream, chives, salt and pepper to saucepan. Using potato masher, mash until blended.
Makes 6 servings.

Sheila53 10-31-2007 06:19 PM

28. Tomato, Basil and Feta Salad

6 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 c fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
3 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
3 Tbl. crumbled feta cheese
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Toss together in a large bowl, then season with salt and paper.

29. Summerly Squash

2 Tbl vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, coasely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried basil

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion about 5 min. until tender. Mix in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and stir aabout 5 min. Mix in squash, bay leaf and basil. Cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 min. stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

30. Cucumber Tomato Salad

2 medium tomatoes, sliced and quartered
1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
4 green onions, chopped
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c cider vinegar
1 c water

In a bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber and onions. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk in the vinegar and water. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.

Lyn2007 11-01-2007 12:20 AM

31. Yummy Broccoli Salad

1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1.5 tablespoons white sugar
3/4 cup Hellmens or Best Foods Light mayonnaise
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 c real bacon bits

Mix the vinegar, sugar and mayo in a bowl with a whisk. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Stir this dressing into the broccoli, onions, and raisins. Refrigerate until serving.

Right before serving add the sunflower seeds and bacon bits. If you are just having a bowl for yourself, just sprinkle on a little sunflower seeds and bacon bits on your serving.

Lyn
TWENTY SIX pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

Dumplin 11-01-2007 09:49 AM

This is my favorite and really easy. It is also steamed. You buy these in the frozen food section...Green Giant garden medley with season . 100 cal. for the whole box. I can make a meal on this alone. Just pop the bag in the microwave!

GirlyGirlSebas 11-01-2007 11:19 AM

Does anyone have some good recipes for frozen mustard or turnip greens? I'd really like to incorporate these into my diet, but I don't have any great recipes or know healthy ways of preparing these.

phantastica 11-01-2007 12:32 PM

33. Roasted Butternut Squash with Moroccan Spices

I found this on kaylinskitchen on blogspot ..

4-5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 T olive oil (or slightly less)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
sea salt, for seasoning cooked squash

Spice Mix (makes enough for 5 batches of roasted veggies):
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. chile powder (I used Ancho chile powder from Penzeys)
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
(recipe called for a pinch ground cloves, which I did not have.)

Preheat oven to 450 or 475F. (Recipe specified 475F, but I was using my toaster oven which only goes to 450. I used the convection oven at 450 to make the squash in the photo.)

Peel butternut squash with vegetable peeler, cut off ends, and cut squash into cubes about 1 inch square. Put squash in plastic bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp. spice mixture. Stir well to get oil and spices evenly distributed on cut surfaces of the squash.

Spray roasting pan with olive oil or nonstick spray and arrange squash in a single layer. Roast about 40-50 minutes, turning every 15 minutes or so. Squash is done when it is soft and slightly browned on quite a few of the edges. (I cooked my squash quite a bit longer than the recipe specified in Fine Cooking, since I like it very well browned.) Season with sea salt, and serve hot.

rockinrobin 11-01-2007 01:39 PM

34. Butternut Squash Soup

1 very large Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 very large, diced
Water
Large chicken consome cube, or powder or chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

In 6 quart pot, or larger if you like, just add more onions and squash, brown the squash and onions in a little olive oil, for about 10 minutes. Add water (and broth if using) to cover, perhaps a little extra. Add consomme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook til squash is soft. When done cooking, let it cool down a bit. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. This is an easy, EXCELLENT recipe. Good enough to serve to company.

xtrisaratops 11-01-2007 03:29 PM

Spicy Quick and Easy Mustard Greens

Put 16 ounces of chopped, frozen mustard greens into a medium saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and let the greens simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

After your greens are done, drain them and set aside. Using the same pan, because I am lazy and hate to wash more dishes than I have to, sautée one sliced onion (use a good sweet onion if you can find them) and 1 to 2 cloves of minced garlic. After the garlic and onions are softened and lightly brown, add the greens back in and combine. In my house, I finish the greens with a splash of cider vinegar and some Tabasco sauce.

Turnip Green Dip

This is an easy dip that I serve warm. You just defrost the greens, and combine them with the other ingredients and send them for a whirl in a food processor.

Approximately 1 pound of thawed turnip greens
1 1/2 cups light sour cream
1 cup Hellman's light mayo
1/2 cup of Asparagus soup mix (if I don't have asparagus, I use french onion)
1/2 cup diced green onion or shallot
Herbs for garnish (parsley, dill, or whatever else you may have)

After you process it all in a food processor, put into a casserole dish and pop into a 375 degree oven until the dip is heated through and lightly brown on top. Sometimes I take a wedge of Laughing Cow and spread it over the top before I bake it.

You can serve this dip with crackers or on crispy Italian bread. It's good for entertaining, or just for munching on. It's also a YUMMY dip for carrots, tomatoes, and celery.

rockinrobin 11-01-2007 03:33 PM

37. Israeli Salad

5 cucumbers (I use kirbys, a variation of the cucumber), diced small
3 -5 plum tomatoe, diced small
1 small onion, diced small
1 red pepper, diced small - optional

Salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Juice of a large lemon.

This is a great salad that keeps for days. I make a large amount so that I have a quick, healthy snack whenever I feel like it.

Lyn2007 11-02-2007 02:10 AM

Hey, Robin, I saw someone mention "Robin's green bean "fries" quite some time ago. Would love the recipe for those, are they crispy?

Lyn
TWENTY SIX pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

rockinrobin 11-02-2007 07:15 AM

Hi Lyn.

38. Roasted Green Beans

Make a lot, they really are yummy.

-Green beans, rinsed and trimmed.
-Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray.
-Lay beans on in as much as a single layer as possible.
-I add tons of fresh coarsely chopped garlic and a little sea salt
-Spray beans with some more cooking spray
-Place in 400 degree oven for about 30-40 mins, turning every now and then, til they get almost brownish and wrinkly.
-ENJOY!!

It make take a few times til you get it down "pat" and find the way that you like them best.

Schmoodle 11-02-2007 08:55 AM

39. Black-eyed Pea Salad

Mix two 16 oz cans of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained, 2 scallions, cut into ¼ inch pieces, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 chopped green bell pepper, ¼ cup chopped parsley, ¼ cup chopped chervil, and 1 minced clove garlic. Whisk together ½ cup olive oil, 3 T red wine vinegar, 1 – 2 T whole grain mustard, 1 finely minced jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper. Toss with peas and vegetables.

40. Broccoli-cauliflower Salad

Mix dressing – 1 pint mayo, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 Tbs. Apple cider vinegar.
Mix with 1 bunch broccoli, 1 head cauliflower, both in florets, and 1 chopped onion. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
This is the traditional recipe, but I lighten it up a lot when I make it.

41. Cucumber Salad

Slice 2 cucumbers.
Dress with:
2 T vinegar
1 ½ tsp sugar
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp oil

42. Zucchini Gratin

Wash 2 zucchini and cut in pieces. Saute in a little oil until soft. Mix with 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown), 1 egg, 1/2 cup grated cheese of choice, 1 cup milk, salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Bake in casserole - 350F for about 30 minutes until browned on top. .

junebug41 11-02-2007 01:03 PM

43. Shiritaki Noodle Stir Fry
-One package of shiritaki noodles (20 calories in a bag- can't beat that!)
-stir fry veggies of choice:
I like mushrooms, edemame beans, peppers, carrots, etc..

*rinse noodles very thouroughly in hot water before tossing them in with veggies. Stir with light stir-fry or terryaki sauce. Takes 5 minutes or less :)

mandalinn82 11-02-2007 01:21 PM

44. Basic Swiss Chard (I have used this method primarily for chard, but also for mustard greens, beet greens, spinach, and other cooking greens. It works REALLY well with chard, though. You can use the same method, minus the balsamic at the end, to cook garlicky kale).

1 bunch of chopped chard (for a special treat, try rainbow chard - looks so pretty on the plate!
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Cooking spray
Salt and pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, then add the garlic and greens. Toss until greens just begin to wilt. Add the chicken broth, cover, and steam until wilted and tender. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper and toss in the balsamic vinegar.

rockinrobin 11-03-2007 08:12 AM

45. Cucumber Salad

I actually use something called Kirbys, they're a little smaller and less seedy then cucumbers.

-5 Kirbys (or more), sliced very thin
Place in a container and fill up about 1/3 of the way with vinegar, or to your liking. Splenda to taste, about 5 packets is what I use. Then cover the slices with cold water. I eat this through out the day. When the kirbys are done, I save the dressing, and add in more for the next day.

46. Tomato Salad

-Thinly sliced ripe tomatoes. I usually use what's ever around, a combination of Plum, beef and vine
-Thinly sliced red onions
-Cover with vinegar about 1/3 up the container or bowl, add salt, pepper and oregano to taste, cover with water. This can stay several days in the fridge, but it won't - it's sooo good.

47. Cabbage salad

-Green cabbage, sliced very thin. I use a hand held shredder, the slicing section.
-Place in bowl, cover about 1/3 of the way with vinegar, add a dollop of olive oil, and salt to taste. Cover with cold water. I like this to sit for an hour or so before eating. I don't think this tastes as well though if it sits overnight as opposed to the previous 2 salads.