Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #31  

Certain veggies are natural diuretics: Asparagus; brussle sprouts; cauliflower; broccoli. Last night I had brussle sprouts and was literally going every two hours. I kept running to my doctor thinking I had a UTI or some problem until she brought to my attention that veggies can cause that effect.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #32  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRue View Post
Certain veggies are natural diuretics: Asparagus; brussle sprouts; cauliflower; broccoli. Last night I had brussle sprouts and was literally going every two hours. I kept running to my doctor thinking I had a UTI or some problem until she brought to my attention that veggies can cause that effect.
Unfortunately I absolutely despise asparagus and brussle sprouts! I do love cauliflower and broccoli, but I have been told not to overeat these because of my thyroid problems. Sounds like a catch 22 doesn't it? LOL!!

Thanks for the tips, however, because I'm sure plenty of others who can (or will) eat these foods will benefit from your sharing!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #33  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Not just asparagus and cruciferous vegetables. Parsley is a diuretic (make some tabbouleh this evening, and enjoy the parsley goodness!), as is celery (good in soup), and melon.

Also coffee and tea are diuretics, though the effect lessens the more used you are to drinking it (much like the caffeine effect).

In addition, some things help KEEP water, like excess carbs and alcohol. The day after a fondue dinner with wine I can tell.. the bread and the wine make my toes and ankles swell quite a bit.

So if you avoid things that make you retain water, and eat more things that help you get rid of it, and drink MORE water, and get moderate exercise to help your body move the water out, and adequate rest to help your body filter it... your swelling should go down soon.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #34  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Not just asparagus and cruciferous vegetables. Parsley is a diuretic (make some tabbouleh this evening, and enjoy the parsley goodness!), as is celery (good in soup), and melon.

Also coffee and tea are diuretics, though the effect lessens the more used you are to drinking it (much like the caffeine effect).

In addition, some things help KEEP water, like excess carbs and alcohol. The day after a fondue dinner with wine I can tell.. the bread and the wine make my toes and ankles swell quite a bit.

So if you avoid things that make you retain water, and eat more things that help you get rid of it, and drink MORE water, and get moderate exercise to help your body move the water out, and adequate rest to help your body filter it... your swelling should go down soon.
Great points! Thanks much! I'm still not sure why I have had this long of a water retention phase. It is usually gone in 2 to 3 days. This time it has been going on for almost 3 weeks.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #35  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Um, ritzyfritzy, after 3 weeks it's not normal water retention... are you sure it's not that your weight has really gone up? Maybe you haven't been on your food plan as tightly as you think?

Jay
Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #36  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Um, ritzyfritzy, after 3 weeks it's not normal water retention... are you sure it's not that your weight has really gone up? Maybe you haven't been on your food plan as tightly as you think?

Jay
Absolutely positive my dry weight hasn't gone up. I measure/count/journal everything. Exercise every day except one. Plus, I know how my feet and hands feel when I am not having water retention problems. Besides, how could one gain 1.6 lbs overnight? That is what happened to me from yesterday to today - as has been the case all week - fluctuations. I have no doubt it is water.

Last edited by RitzyFritz; 10-23-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #37  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

If you are not into the taste of standard water... Try one of the flavoured Stevia.

*gawd I am starting to sound like a commercial!*

0 Cal, 0 fat, 0 chemical aspect like the standard flavoured water. Multiple flavours on the Sweet Leaf site.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #38  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuter w Curves View Post
If you are not into the taste of standard water... Try one of the flavoured Stevia.

*gawd I am starting to sound like a commercial!*

0 Cal, 0 fat, 0 chemical aspect like the standard flavoured water. Multiple flavours on the Sweet Leaf site.
Thank you! I was just on their web site yesterday but was looking up something else. I didn't see these. I will have to try them!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Here is my 2 cents.

Cucumbers also are a natural diuretic. I love them plain or in salads.

I have kicked artificial sweeteners to the curb!!! My morning oatmeal get 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar. I no longer sweeten my tea. I eat StoneyField farms organic yogurt. Yes it has more calories but I am still with in my range and feel much more satisfied. Overall since getting off artificail sweeteners I am more successful in losing weight, I feel better and I think food tastes better.

You might want to give this a shot!!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I've always heard that the more water you drink...the more diruetic effect it has. I've always heard that asparagus are a natural diruretic food.

Here's a link with a few ideas - but, I wouldn't think they would work better than lots of water.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4649.asp
Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #41  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

It seems to me that when your body isn't getting enough water, it holds on to what it has, to prevent a "drought." If you drink plenty of water, your body knows there is plenty and has no reason to hold on to it. Just like with starvation mode, if your body doesn't know that there is enough food, it stores everything that you eat. Our bodies try to keep us alive. They don't like to be starving or dehydrated, if we help keep them happy, they will keep us happy!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I hear ya, it's aggravating when you work out and you come back weighing more than when you started.
Closed Thread