Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I have been following this thread with interest and hoping things would go well for gina, but I didn't want to chime in until after she flew because I didn't want to freak her out anymore. I fly a lot for business trips and last spring at 5'4" 245 lbs, I was at the very limit of the seatbelt on a lot of those planes. It's very stressful for a heavy person, along with those looks you get as you're walking down the aisle and you know people are thinking "I hope she's not sitting next to me!" I was always getting my seat assignment early and at least trying to make sure I was an aisle or window, not the dreaded middle seat, and always sitting in the back of the plane because those are the seats that fill up last.

I think these is really one of the things that got me motivated to start losing weight. I remember just before I started I got on a plane behind a heavy lady and she asked the stewardess very quietly and with great embarassment for an extender. The stewardess very rudely told her to find her seat and then ask for one if she needed it. I felt so badly for her and also was very scared of being in that position myself one day soon.

I am happy to report that the last time I flew, a couple of weeks ago, I was able to snug that belt up a good ten inches! Gina, I was sweating it out for you, but I'm so glad it all went well! Here's to more comfortable flying for us all!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #17  
Ms Lili

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Just to add on to the discussion - a few years ago I used to do work that required flying quite a bit. On several occassions, I actually faked a limp all the way to the check in desk, and asked them to book me in a window or aisle seat with an empty middle seat, because I had injured my leg and if at all possible, needed to sit where someone else wasn't bumping up against my leg. That way I didn't have to deal with the embarassment of feeling like I was making someone beside me miserable by being squished up against them. I also have done the "blanket trick" more times than I can count, and actually bought my own seat belt extender in order to not ever have to ask for one again. With God's help, I will soon be a size that will never make me do something so miserably embarrassing again! Glad it went well for you, Gina.
Miss Lili is offline   Reply With Quote