3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Trying to fight the temptation (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/124758-trying-fight-temptation.html)

cara1980 10-10-2007 02:47 PM

Trying to fight the temptation

I have 2 pkgs of oatmeal for breakfast, HC meal for lunch, banana for snack. I think thats really great.......My coworker has chocolate on her desk that she showed me yesterday. I really want a piece but Im not hungry. I thought about what someone said about eating like a spoiled child and it made alot of sense. I want to eat like a spoiled child but Im not one, so Im trying VERY HARD to resist getting that candy. Its weird almost like Im having a very hard time controlling myself, I feel like a dog who really wants that rabbit thats running around but is bound by his leash.

Maybe part of the problem is Im trying to stop smoking as well. Too much at one time.

hellokitty81668 10-10-2007 02:50 PM

Hi,
I would have some healthy snacks in reach , so this doesn't tempt you. maybe some veggies, fruit, or some mints, or gum. something to take your mind off this. Good luck with quiting smoking!!
cheryl

chick_in_the_hat 10-10-2007 02:52 PM

Candy dishes are hard to resist. My strategy is avoidance. I go the long way around them. You can do this - sometimes I tell myself that I will have one piece on the way out of the office. This usually stops me from getting into it all day. Sometimes I even forget to go over there on my way out. :D

chick_in_the_hat 10-10-2007 02:53 PM

Oh - and :bravo: on quitting smoking!!!

I also forgot to mention that I am addicted to Altoids sugar free smalls...keeps my mouth busy. I'm a former smoker myself.

GirlyGirlSebas 10-10-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cara1980 (Post 1888105)
Maybe part of the problem is Im trying to stop smoking as well. Too much at one time.

No, don't tell yourself this. Its not too much at one time. There is a small blurb in my November issue of Prevention magazine that talks about this. Studies have shown that its easier to quit more than one thing at one time, than to finish one thing, then have to deal with a whole new issue.

Your co-worker has every right to have candy on their desk, but, do you have the kind of relationship in which you can ask them to move it out of sight? I've done this at my previous employers' and my co-workers were very understanding and very supportive. Not all are, but its worth a shot.

LaurieDawn 10-10-2007 03:02 PM

I don't know if you've read RockinRobin's goal post, but remembering what she wrote has done the trick for me the past few days when I've been presented with off-plan food. I just think about what she says about the trade we're making. If you can look at that chocolate and decide that eating a piece of it is important enough to you that you will have to either adjust your plan to accommodate it or concede that you may not have a calorie deficit for the day, do it. But enjoy it when you do, because I keep remembering that I'm trading in a little piece of my dream for that piece of chocolate. If eating the chocolate means that I keep my sanity, it's a good trade. But if it just means that I'm allowing myself to fall back into old habits of eating without any control, it's a horrible trade-off. So - is it worth it?

Lovely 10-10-2007 03:07 PM

Sugarfree gum has stopped more cravings of food for me than anything else. It usually turned out I was just interesting in chewing something than in eating something.

Good luck with both your habit changings

deedee10 10-10-2007 03:15 PM

Really good one about the trade-off thoughts LaurieDawn. I'm going to use that in the future because I have the worse sweet tooth. I'm going to ask myself if the piece of candy, cake, sweetbread, etc., etc., is worth me not being able to feel comfortable wearing a bathing suit to the beach in the summer which is my most favorite thing to do or is it worth me not being able to wear the kind of clothes I want to wear. Like being able to tuck my shirt into my pants and not have to wear a jacket to hide the rolls.

Sandi 10-10-2007 03:33 PM

When I am really trying to squash a craving, sometimes a Diet Soda will do the trick. Especially a Diet Dr. Pepper!

cara1980 10-10-2007 04:00 PM

I chewed up my sugar free gum, drank my sprite zero, drinking my propel, went to the library a block away (Took a break) now Im down to 15 mins left b4 I go home!!!! No chocolate yet!!!!!!

It doesnt bother me that she has chocolate on her desk, I had those party mints and when I wanted something sweet I would eat some of those. If she didnt come tell me she had chocolate and show it to me I wouldnt have known it was there. But doing good so far, If I dont fail tonight and eat a healthy dinner, Im going to post on the NSV.

I plan on a baked chicken breast with BBQ sauce, brown rice and veggies.

Hubby even made me a gallon of tea 2 days ago and I havent touched it. He didnt even realize I had quit drinking tea almost 2 weeks ago.

MetaChick 10-10-2007 04:08 PM

I spent more than 30 years chasing willpower and self-control over food. I lost hundreds of pounds doing countless diets, only have the whole thing eventually break down over and over again over some 'temptation'. I loved myself in times of strength and despised myself in times of weakness. The binges I've had would curl your hair.

People who do not struggle with weight or with food would never define their relationship with food as one of willpower or self-control. Never. For them, eating is a nearly effortless natural cycle that is almost exclusively driven by internal mechanisms and not by external rules. THAT is what I want now, and after practicing it for over 8 months I know that over time I can have it. It has been joyously liberating.

Fretting and obsessing over a candy dish is an awful, awful feeling and one that almost always ends badly, with a handful of far more than we need in a sweaty and guilty hand. Chocolate is a lovely treat, and one I enjoy almost every day. These days it's usually in the form of one square of a rich, dark 85% Cocoa bar (good for you!) but that has been an evolution that began with a large bag of every kind of chocolate treat in my desk that I allowed myself to have freely and without limit, as long as I was physically hungry. Imagine my utter surprise when I discovered that with no rules whatsoever what I chose to have was ONE. When I could assure myself that this would always be here, and I could have it whenever I wanted, one little chocolate treat eaten after my lunch was enough.

I have many stories like this, where I found I had to go through the food to make peace with it rather than tiptoe around it. One as recent as the other day, when I chose to have a cinnamon danish cookie after dinner. I felt that familiar tug of obsession and I wanted more of that cookie taste in my mouth. After a second of fear and despair, I calmly and peacefully told myself I absolutely could have more cookies - as many as I wanted. In that mental and emotional quiet I was able to listen to all my feedback systems and I realized I neither needed or wanted more. I've learned from experience to make a point of eating that type of cookie again after subsequent meals to completely eliminate the threatening feelings. It works every time, and I haven't even thought about them in a couple of days. Once again, they're just cookies and I might eat one and I might not. Might have a peach instead. Who knows, and it doesn't matter because your body CAN self regulate if you truly, joyously, fully trust it. If I have too many cookies this week, soon enough I'll be craving peaches.

If you do decide to have a candy from the dish, I would suggest you have it as part of your midday meal or other snack. Make it part of satisfying a true physical hunger and give it your full attention and truly try to enjoy it. Savour every second! And if you want, do that every day until the day comes that you could take it or leave it, and then leave it until the next time you truly want that little treat.

You can't control all the candy dishes in the world, and you can't directly control the longing you feel for foods that easily lead to weight gain if overeaten. You can control your actions, but that path can be fraught with unnecessary stress and unnecessary disappointment. Trusting yourself and your body can be a wonderfully empowering thing, and a great tool no matter what plan you are following.

Good luck with everything! :)

Jen415 10-10-2007 04:09 PM

Well done, cara!! :):)

JayEll 10-10-2007 05:11 PM

MetaChick, you have a fantastic loss! Good for you! :bravo: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Jay

cara1980 10-11-2007 10:44 AM

I did have some chocolate when I got home but for dinner I ate a few bites of chicken salad and some sort of cheese crisp crackers. I didnt eat much dinner b/c I wasnt hungry. I did drink a glass of sweet tea though. This morning I had lost a little bit of weight, tomorrow I should read a larger deficit.

MetaChick 10-11-2007 10:57 AM

Thanks JayEll! I'm thrilled with the changes in my life and I still have over a hundred pounds to go! So many more good things to come I hope. :)

Congrats on your loss Cara...hope you enjoyed your chocolate. :)