Old 09-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #1  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Default Was this a healthy meal?

I made this for lunch, and wonder if this is healthy and all that.

3 oz salmon, baked with 1 tsp low fat butter and dill. Under 2 tble plain yogurt and dill sauce.

1 cup corn, with 1 tsp low fat butter and a sprinkle of parsely.

1 slice bread with 1 tsp low fat butter.

(three tsp is one tble which is one serving)

1 cup (less 2 tbl) plain yogurt mixed with 1 cup tropical fruit(no sugar added)

I am not trying to diet really, I am trying to get away from totally bad foods and eating to much.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

From my perspective, that seems like a fairly balanced & properly proportioned meal.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Looks like you are putting some thought into your meal. Sounds delicious!

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be have 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup of corn instead of a whole cup, and add some salad, some green beans, or another green vegetable in place of the "missing" corn.

Yum!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #4  
Surreality

I love salmon, and the yogurt dill sauce sounds yummy I never add butter to mine, since salmon is a high fat fish on it's own.

Was the bread whole grain? If not, then you might consider switching. White bread is pretty useless.

I'd probably choose corn or bread, but not both since they are both starches. Plus I'd cut the corn back to 1/2 cup, which is one serving, and I'd use something like Butter Buds instead of butter.

Where's the green? Some broccoli would have been yummy with the salmon, and would provide loads of nutrition. Even a salad would be a good addition, if you use a light dressing.

A whole cup of yogurt and a cup of fruit seems like a large serving. Personally, I'd eat half that amount, and save the rest for a snack later if I got hungry, or save it for tomorrow. Was the yogurt whole fat or nonfat? The calorie difference can be substantial

What's for dinner?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #5  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

Wow carnie, thank you. The bread was white, but I am switching to whole grain, but with money tight, white is cheaper and the girls need bread for lunches.

Corn, 1/2 cup is a serving? I though as long as I got my 5 servings in a day it didn't matter. I didn't think of it being a starch.

Green yes that was what it was missing!

But, over all it is much better than hamburger, mac n cheese and a pint of ice cream! right?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, it most certainly IS much better then hamburger, mac n' cheese or a pint of ice cream.

I eat salmon all the time and I absolutely love it, as does my entire family. Salmon is one of the fattier fishes you can eat, so it really doesn't need butter in order to cook properly. Elminating the butter would save you precious calories and grams of fat. I just bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. I use crushed fresh garlic, a little onion powder, pepper, sea salt, some crushed red pepper, paprika and fresh lemon juice. It's extremely moist, hence no reason for added fat.

You might want to experiment with different spices and methods of cooking.
I find this is a constant learning experience. I'm always learning new ways to make healthy things, even healthier. Which usually means to add as little fat or sugar possible to it.

Corn has one of the highest sugar contents of all the veggies out there, which is why the gals recommended smaller portions of it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #7  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

What is the brand of the low fat butter you are using?
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I concur with what's already been said. It looks like a GREAT start. Any tweaking would be just that....tweaking. Yes, I'd lose a starch and add in some green and orange. Maybe a roasted sweet potato in lieu of corn. If the bread were whole grain it would add fiber. I understand about the expense. I buy Organic Whole grain bread. It is more expensive than regular white. However, when I make the kids' lunches they get regular amounts of meat and cheese but only one slice of bread. The whole grain bread is much denser and more filling than white....so they're satisfied with the sandwich, they learn moderation and portion sizing, and I stretch the loaf further! Just an idea. The brand I buy is Nature's Own. You can get 2 loaves at Costco for $5.50. I have 4 kids and 2 loaves lasts a week and a half, generally. If you wanted to tweak even more...maybe get used to eating dinner WITHOUT bread. Gasp! hahaha I know that was SUCH a foreign idea to me...but I'm completely used to it, now. When we do have bread it's only when I make my own or something...so I know it's completely yummy! But, seriously, the meal looks very good. Much better than your posted alternative meal. Big question...did you enjoy it????
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #9  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

I am using the olive oil spread, 11 grams compared to my usualy whol ebutter or margerine with 13 grams.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #10  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

heh royal (are you a MO girl?) I never eat bread with meals, unless it is bread meal of some sort. I just added it today for the grain. LOL
Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #11  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like a great start to me! The only thing missing to me is the green! I admit, I'm a green veggie junkie, though!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #12  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
I am using the olive oil spread, 11 grams compared to my usualy whol ebutter or margerine with 13 grams.
Cool, then you would say that you're using olive oil spread rather than light butter? When you say you're using an olive oil spread, does that mean you're using liquid olive oil? If not, what brand are you using? I've never heard of an olive oil spread. Thanks!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #13  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

They sell olive oil spread with the margarine. It's very close to the same thing, but they use olive oil instead of vegetable oil to make it.

Kati, that sounds like a great start! I pretty much agree with what the other gals said about adding green and subtracting some fat, so I'll just say keep up the good work!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

If it were me I would lose the fat on the salmon and and corn. Salmon has sufficient healthy fats in already. As I eat low fat anyway, I seldom eat Salmon and prefer to substitute tuna but that's just me.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
heh royal (are you a MO girl?) I never eat bread with meals, unless it is bread meal of some sort. I just added it today for the grain. LOL

I'm from Kansas City...but now live in the Memphis, TN area....
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote