Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #1  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Having to find a new place to workout

I walk into Curves today and found out that next Friday they are shutting the place down. I was shocked!! Not to mentioned that they just cashed my check, which I prepaid for the next three months!! So, I not only have to hunt down the elusive owner and badger him for my money back, but I have to find a new place to workout.

This is very stressful and not a good timing at all, since I start back with classes next week and didn't need this unwanted aggravation.

Anyway, today we went and looked at two gyms. One is brand new and owned by the a hospital. It is a wellness center with state of the art equipment. It's not too big and the staff seem very friendly. there are even classes on Pilate's, yoga, and strength training. The other was a regular gym that was very big and way to intimidating for me. So, I guess I know what my choice will be.

Tell me it will be OK and that I will like walking on a treadmill, taking classes, being where there are men. Will I be able to learn those freaky looking weight machines? Will I be the one with the biggest butt??? I don't think I'm ready for a real gym, but I know that exercise is a must if I am going to get the weight off. Drat!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #2  

If you commit to it, you WILL be able to do it. And no, you won't be the one with the biggest butt, yada yada yada. It can be intimidating, and if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. But as you said, exercise is a must. So if it isn't there, it has to be somewhere! I say go for it, get into a routine, and before you know it, it will be as easy as walking into Curves. The timing of it sucks. Adding stress is never a helpful thing. But you can do this!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Personally I find men at my gym to be a lot friendlier than the women. You're going to be fine. Smile, say hi and go about your business. Don't worry about the machines, that nice staff will be happy to help out.

Enjoy it! You may find that you like all the options at a regular gym more than you liked Curves.

And good luck with getting your money back. Nothing like a business that's closing to try and screw you; they've got nothing to lose.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

UPDATE
I have shortened my original post because it was so long and I wanted to put in an update.

To make a long story short. The woman that had invited me to Curves talked to the manager of that Curves. I received a call from the manager . She said she had been on vacation and sick leave for almost 2 full months and had just got back to work the day after I had been there. The employees that were there that day, were fired. The women that I had seen there were not even members but friends of that employee. She found out from other members that those woman were there all the time sometimes up to as many as 25 of them and none of them were members. The other members talked about how they were talked about and treated terrible. She said If I could like to come back she would give me a 3 month guest pass.

ORIGINAL post ( Shortened because of length )
I was given a guest pass for 2 weeks to Curves. I thought this place was for over weight woman to come and exercise, get healthy and lose weight. When I got there most of the people there were sticks. I am not talking thin I am talking sticks.

I had no idea how to use the machines and there was no employee there interested in showing me how.

Lucky for me the woman who invited me was there and kind of showed me the ropes and asked one of the lady's that worked there to help me get together a routine since I hadn't been to a gym in years.

The woman who worked there acted like I was something she was disgusted to even be near and left the group of stick woman to give me about 5 min of instructions.

The whole time the lady and I used the machines we could hear the sticks talking about how they would kill them selfs if they ever looked like us. I hadn't really thought about anyone watching me or caring one way or another how I looked. Boy was I wrong. Yes I am over weight but jeez I am not the elephant lady, I don't have 3 eyes and I sure don't have 5 arms. Nothing special to draw attention to myself except that I am over weight. Thought that was the reason for Curves in the first place.

As I was leaving the woman that invited me asked if I would be going back. I said I didn't think so.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-23-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  

Just a thought, if the gym seems like too much -- our local high schools with tracks (indoor and outdoor) and even our schools have times set aside for walkers. Also, the local malls open early as well for people to walk and have rooms set aside just for them for coffee, to drop off coats, etc.

I belonged to the YMCA for over a year and I will admit I was terrified of "being watched" but you know, the people there are interested in themselves, getting a good work out and could usually care less what you are doing.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #6  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I tried Curves for a week and frankly, I didn't really like it. The exercise machines were so limiting, and also, the one I was going to was just a bunch of mostly older women (I can say that since I'm one of the older women at age 56) who were into being social. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I really didn't feel like listening to idle chit chat while I was trying to work out. (I'm sure I'm in the minority on that and that Curves meets the needs of the majority of people who go to it - it just wasn't what I felt I needed.)

I was afraid of going to a "real gym", but decided to try 24 Hour Fitness (I got a really good deal on the membership). I don't even notice that there are men there, it doesn't bother me at all...but that could be because of my age (at age 56, I really don't care what others think of me - well, like that anyway). I'm going there for myself, and I assume others are doing so as well...that we're all there to get fit and healthier. I have been working with a trainer that I've paid extra for, but it's just to help me learn what all I should be doing and to also learn how to use the machines there. I will be doing core strengthening exercises, stretching exercise, cardio (and going to classes in addition to the cardio machines), weights, and then the exercise machines (like ones similar to Curves). Also, there is a swimming pool and sauna, etc. All this for less than what I would have been paying for at Curves.

I think you'll be happy at another place, so don't worry. You'll find good people everywhere and just make your mind up that you won't feel intimidated with men being there. The ones I've seen are just focused on their work out anyway. I just ignore everyone and do my own thing. One day my trainer was showing me a real challenging stretching exercise and a guy walked by and said, "That's a hard one!!", and I said, "Yeah, I think I'll just watch my trainer do it"...then we all laughed.

It's fun and I didn't think I would be ready for a real gym (that's why I thought Curves would be better for me)...turns out, it's been nothing but a great experience. I still have a lot of the machines to learn and other things, but I'm making progress and it's going to keep me very challenged.

Good luck and ENJOY!

Last edited by Cheree; 09-22-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:28 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Rennie -

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. How horrifying! I have been to many a gym, and have been far more overweight than you have when going, and never had anything close to an experience like that. (Actually, if it makes you feel any better, I think of you as pretty darn skinny!) In fact, most of the other patrons have been extremely helpful and friendly, especially when I was trying to learn how to use the free weights. Even the 20-year-old gym rats with their pumped-up metal blaring in the background have always been very kind. How sad must the lives of those poor stick women be if they are shallow enough to treat you like that!

Pita -

I have never been to Curves, but from my understanding, they are pretty limited. I also read that many of the machines they have aren't truly very helpful. (There is a sticky thread on the exercise forum that talks a little bit about exercises that aren't worth doing.) I have never been, so maybe someone more informed about Curves could correct me if my information is not accurate. But I think a gym with a variety of exercise machines and classes is a great opportunity to expand the exercises you do and really learn what you love to do. While some of the others have come up with good ways to exercise and not pay for a gym membership, I know that I like to use the monitors on the exercise machines to set goals for myself and to push myself, and I like classes occasionally just for the social aspect of it. Plus - many of them have trainers on staff (mine doesn't, unfortunately) that can help you learn proper form and make sure you're getting the most of our your exercise time.

Good luck!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #8  
Believe

Pita, I'm so sorry that this has happened! If you have another Curves around you, I would at least get a pass from the Curves you are a member of to give you a little extra time. But I have to say that I know a couple of people that go to a wellness center owned by a hospital system and they absolutely love it because the people there are so helpful and they make sure you are using the machines correctly unlike regular gyms where you actually need to pay for a personal trainer. And as one that hesitated on joining a gym I can honestly say that after the first few trips I didn't worry about the other people around me. You'll do just fine!!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #9  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Pita--That totally stinks! I hope you are able to get your money back. I know when I first started going to 'my' gym I was worried about what people thought. Then someone pointed out that people are usually so focused on themselves that they don't care who is there...and they are right! Every once in a while I get that feeling that someone is looking at me, but let 'em look! I am there to do my thing and get in shape! I still get self-conscious from time to time when I go in to the free weight room and I am the only female and the only person who isn't already in shape. But I walk right in anyway!

You can do this!

mj
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Rennie, I am so sorry that you were treated that way. I have been going to Curves for a year and fortunately we have had terrific girls working there, and the members have all been friendly and supportive. Even the stick ones. Although, most of the members are mostly in their 50s to 70s, and there were lots of days I know I was the youngest there at 41.

Curves has become limiting for me. When I started with them I was brand new to any kind of formal exercising routine. Now, I stay for a full hour instead of the 30 minutes and I totally do my own routine, which works me much harder than the normal 30 second switch they do in the circuit.

So, it comes to me facing that this is a blessing because I really do want and need a place that will give me more. I have decided to go to the wellness center and pay for a month to really decide if I like it. I think I will. The machines have built in TVs, which is cool. Or I can bring a textbook and study for that hour I'm walking on the treadmill. The place is on the second floor of the building and is surrounded by windows that over look the beautiful Georgia trees. I will love that!

I am going to have a positive attitude, and you know if I just bite the bullet for a few more months this body of mine is going to keep on shrinking. Soon I will be fit, thin, and healthy. That is the purpose after all.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey there Pita. What a bummer. But I like your attitude!!! I have heard this time and time again, how Curves is fine in the very early stages - and then shortly it becomes too unchallenging. The problem is, we get so darn comfortable doing what we're doing, that even though we know we probably SHOULD make a change - we don't. So, that you're looking at it as a blessing in disguise doesn't surprise me one bit.

I think that Wellness Center idea for a month try out sounds perfect. I'm sure before you know it, you will be loving it - and so happy that you were forced to make the change.

Good luck to you. PLEASE let us know how it goes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #12  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree with mj5. I really don't think that most people are worried about what everyone else is doing. I know it might be intimidating with men there, but keep in mind (and, yes, I'm generalizing) that many men are only concerned with their own little world. They're probably comparing themselves and how much they can lift/workout with other men.

You have a great attitude and I admire that! Hope it works out for you!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #13  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

My aunt has a slight over exercising problem and anorexia and goes to Curves. She even refused to go to the doctor when she heard something snap one day at a Curves. She still continued to workout from the last thing I heard.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #14  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Pita
Thanks you.

Daimere
lol I couldn't careless what I look like around men. When I got married I no longer cared what men thought about how I looked. My husband is the only one that matters to me. Woman on the other hand, well just like most women, I would rather not look to terrible around them. The gym is another matter. I am not there to look good. I am there to get good looking

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-23-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote