Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

Default Question for the gym go'ers...

I was just wondering if any of the gym go'ers out there are feeling what i'm feeling in terms of the gyms getting crowded..

I'm in MN, and i can tell the weather has changed, cuz now my gym is packed to the roof with people, every machine is taken, and there are people everywhere.
I have gotten used to seeing the regulars and such, but now there are so many new people in there, and i feel their eyes on me, it makes me real uneasy.
So i think i'm going to have to do home workouts from now on..
CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

A few years back I got a membership for a gym for just ONE month (mom gave it to me, I think it was a hint, lol), but I only went maybe 4 times, because I HATED how crowed it was. There would be no machines, and I was just stuck there waiting...and waiting...and waiting. When it was finally my turn, I felt like everyone was looking at me. I think I lasted an entire 2 minutes on an elliptical. I was so embarrassed that I only used treadmills after that. I now workout at home, but my interest in going back to the gym is growing! I am now committed to this lifestyle, and I wasn't before. I'd like to try some aerobics classes, but it's a matter of having the time. I am a mother of 2 small children AND a full time student, so time is a MAJOR issue, especially since I would want to go when there are fewer people there. I dunno.

Gosh, look at me rambling. Sorry about that! I can understand what you're saying though. If you're more comfortable working out at home, go for it! Exercise at home is just as beneficial.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Have you thought about looking for a less popular gym? I know I used to go a Y & it was busy like you are describing but now I go to a gym in the basement of a hotel & it's NEVER that busy. There has been maybe one time I couldn't get on the machine I wanted right away. Yes, aesthetically the place is not as wonderful but it has absolutely everything I need & I can go their & feel comfortable & get a great workout in.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

It's just the opposite where I am in Northern California. We had a couple of cool days and the place is empty. It's like people know they get to cover up for the winter and don't care anymore.

I do prefer it empty. I hate waiting around for the weight machines when people just sit on them like they're waiting for a bus.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You know, a lot of you feeling they are staring at you might be in your head. It seems to me that much of the time people are paying less attention to us at the gym than we think!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I go to the Y. It is not busy at the times I usually go. Between 5:30 - 8:00 a.m. and noon - 2:30. Timing is everything. Otherwise I don't go then but I have been told from 7:30 - 9:00 p.m. also is quiet. Some people like the 24 hour places because they can go at odd times.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #7  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I go to a 24hr gym, and it's nice because the limit the membership to just 125 people. It wasn't my original first choice of a gym, because there are no classes offered, but since DH's insurance pays for the membership there, I had no excuses not to join.

I've only been once or twice where it was crowded (more than 5 people), normally I'm either the only one there, or one of two or three.

However, you might also consider joining a "women only" gym. I used to belong to one of those, and it was nice and comfortable. Even if the gym was crowded, there were ladies bigger than me, and less experienced at the machines than I was. It felt like this forum, like a community of support.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #8  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I was reading in the paper today that fall is actually more popular than New Year's Day for people starting new diet and exercise programs. I think it has to do with kids being back in school and routines being established. Chances are though that some people will stop coming as the motivation runs dry. Also I really don't think that people are staring at you, I know what you mean though having been a gym goer on and off. Most people are too wrapped up in their own workout to be staring at anyone else.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Gyms don't work for me because of the time involved in traveling to/from and waiting for the equipment. Even the less popular gyms become impossible in January. I'm not so concerned about what other people think. For me it's about making it as easy as possible to work out.

I have an exercise bike and exercise DVDs at home. When the weather is nice, I walk. When it's not, I work out at home.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #10  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Crazyrai, let me tell you, I've almost fallen off of the elliptical and crosstrainer so many times. I've spilled nearly an entire bottle of water on myself while on the elliptical. My MP3 player went flying off of the crosstrainer holder under the treadmill this lady was using (The last two things happened just this week!). All occurences happening while the gym was moderately packed. After each occurence I'd look around and no one was laughing or even looking at me. Mostly everyone is in their own little world, like me, I don't pay too much attention to other people when I'm working out.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

I have to agree with Kim. At the gym everyone really is in their own little world. A lot of them use that time to really focus on their own performance & to keep from falling off the machines themselves. Look around again, they all have Ipods or MP3's plugged into their ears & are watching television or trying to read. They're not there to socialize. If it does seem to be a gym full of people that only socialize, look around for another place to workout.

There's nothing at all wrong with a home workout, just make sure you reach the same exertion level that you would have achieved at the gym. I call this plop factor. Did my sweaty tee shirt 'plop' when I dropped it on the floor? There's a lot of decent videos & training ideas that can help you achieve that right in your living room. I've noticed there's more distractions from working out at my house than at the gym.... thus I head back to the Y to get it done.

Either way, it's all a good journey.... take care of yourself!

Marylynn
Dulaneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 299/299/225

Height: 5'5

I'm sorry i should have worded things better, my main concern wasn't really people staring, but i know for a fact that they do and it's NOT in my mind, as my husband notices it as well...
And i can say that i would have to say at myself too being as it's unusual too see a BIG girl like myself, running on a treadmill and then hitting the weights with the boys in my part of the burbs....
My main thing was i have never been a part of a gym before and i was just seeing if this is common for this time of the year for gyms to get crowded..
I actually work out after 9pm and there are still a ton of people there...
which is why i will be doing my workouts from home..
CrazyRai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #13  
hara hachi bu

I used to care about what people thought of me at the gym when I worked out. I assumed they were gawking at me too, and then I realized something. Nobody was ever commenting to me, so at the end of the day the outcome was the same: I can go in there and imagine they're watching me and get all uncomfortable about it, or I can go in there like nobody's business and have a great time listening to my iPod. I find I prefer the latter.

My gym has gotten busier since school started, too. Oh and BTW - I work out at a YMCA, which is filled with very, very average people, families, elderly, etc. I don't have a bunch of Mr. Universes and Miss Americas there, so I can't say if my other comment would hold true in a more "meat market" environment.

Last edited by phantastica; 09-21-2007 at 09:03 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #14  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I have only really been to my gym twice to work out, but it's not been too crowded. I go to the Y because I get a free membership from work. I went once at about 3:30 and once at about 7 and both times it was pretty slow... BUT I don't live in a huge city and there are hundreds of gyms around here. Most of the gyms are either "fashionable" gyms where people go to be seen, or specialized gyms like Curves or She's Shaping Up, or hardcore body building gyms like Trion. That's why I do like the Y, its not fashionable or trendy and it's downtown right in the business district so it's mostly just businessmen working out during lunch and families in the evening. I also like that they have a gameroom so my kids can play while I am working out and I don't feel like I am just moving them from one daycare to another.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #15  
Mommy of 6, 4, almost 1!!

S/C/G: 194.6/179.2/155

Height: 5'1"

Try going at a different time of the day. I know that the YMCA is busiest 9-11:30 than like 3-6. Other times I could sweat and flood the place and nodoby would drown.
shoupfamily is offline   Reply With Quote