Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #31  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Rhonda, apparently there are a lot of us insomniacs here :P At least we can all relate to each other! I'm too afraid to not get enough sleep than to try and pull my schedule around. I'm not sure which is better at this point!

Cheryl, WOW! congrats on the loss! Wasn't it just 224 yesterday? Keep it up and feel better!

Laurie, you do a lot of different exercises! By the time I am done on the bike I seriously lack any motivation to do much anything else. Monday I was going to do the stair stepper for 15 minutes, and I think I lasted about 30 seconds before I opted to just go home and take a shower :P I'll get there!!!

Nicolen, it seems like service everywhere is taking a nosedive. It's a shame, really!

CC, YAY!

AND, for me, Wednesday is my day off exercising, but I'm going to try meet my calorie goal 100%!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #32  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Good morning all,
I hope you have a great on plan day. My cold is getting better , but the st*pid scale went up 2 lbs . I have not gone off plan, I have been doing exercises, the only difference is I have been taking medicine. Does medicine make you gain weight??? . Today nothing should mess up my routine, going to take my dd to school( hubby is away and I have the car ), and come back to exercise, and eat bkfst. I don't forsee any off plan moments.
Have a great day!!!!!

cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Good morning.

It's been a while since I've posted but I have been reading and keeping up with you all.

I'm so sorry so many of us have sleeping problems. This is not something from which I suffer but I can feel your pain. I know how I am when my kids (or myself) are sick and I can't get any sleep. I can't even imagine just laying there with no reason not to sleep and STILL not sleeping! I hope you all find some relief, somewhere.

I've got 2 exams this morning and then I'm having lunch with a friend. I have GOT to keep reminding myself that I WILL NOT use food as a "reward" for completing those exams! FAT IS NOT A TREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I also think my hip is feeling better enough that I may hop on my elliptical this afternoon and take it for a spin and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Have a great day, everyone!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #34  

Height: 5'5"

Tricia - Great to hear from you! Good luck on your exams - though knowing you, I'm sure you're way too prepared to need the luck. Good luck on the lunch with the friend, too. I have actually not been brave enough to try this yet. I'm sure you'll do great.

Cheryl - I don't know about the cold medicine causing weight per se, but I imagine there are some ingredients that could be troublesome. However, without knowing what meds you took, it's kind of hard to say. I do think, though, that the sleep is an important ingredient in the weight loss formula, and I know I sleep really badly when I have a cold, and I don't have any cats dancing on my face. Maybe that's the connection? I can't imagine that those two pounds will stick around, though.

Rakel - I was wondering about your name. At first, I was guessing it was Middle Eastern. Then, it occurred to me that it might be an alternate spelling for Raquel. How is it pronounced? You're right - I do a variety of exercises. I have read that it's important to mix it up so my body doesn't become efficient at the exercise, which will cause me to burn fewer calories when I do it. I really think that I can excel at this incompetence thing. Plus - it makes it more interesting to do a variety of things.

CC - Yippee on the exercise and the sleep! And the food! Even though the food hasn't seemed to be a struggle for you lately, I know from recent experience that this can go without warning, so you deserves a congrats on all of it!

Nicole - Argghh on the workplace stress. You seem to be handling it well, though. And it sounds like you're staying on plan and staying positive. I really believe that staying on my plan helps me deal with stress. Hopefully, it's helping you as well.

On plan all the way for me yesterday. My calories are still a little low (1092), but I'm slowly moving them up, which is a huge step for me. When I've tried to do that in the past, I've gotten really frustrated and made poor food choices for those "extra" calories, and then it kind of got out of control. So, the slow rise in calories as I try to add additional healthy foods is an accomplishment. I was pressed for time during the day yesterday, so the elliptical for 30 minutes was the only gym exercise I did. I also rode my bike for errands, so about ten miles there. But the big one - I ran FIVE MILES last night. I still can't believe it. My goal was to repeat Monday's four miles, and I even tried to talk myself out of going past the four miles, as I didn't want to keep setting new records that would be harder to break. But, I was just feeling it, and I kept going. I think on Friday, I will go back down to the four, but it's great to know that I can do five. And if the scale movement continues, I will be in a new decade on Monday. Hopefully...
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #35  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Good morning, Everyone!

Tricia - so glad you checked in. Hope you do well on your exams. I'm sure you're super prepared and will fly through them with ease!

I so very happy to report that I slept soundly all night long and am feeling very well rested this morning! Maybe it was my 60 minutes on the treadmill yesterday....yep, I finally got back on track with the exercise. Or, maybe it was going to church last night. I've been ignoring the spiritual part of good health lately and it felt great to have the family in church again.

Has anybody watched the 'How to Be Slim' episode of 'The Truth About Food' series on Discovery Health? The show was very interesting and its was nice to get verification that the 100lb club posters are some pretty savvy weight loss buddies. We already knew most of what they said...exercise, eat low fat dairy, eat protein and keep a food journal. Now, I havent been doing all of this...I eat low-fat dairy and protein, but I've not been keeping a food journal or exercising every day. My goal for today: Another hour on the treadmill and start tracking my calories again.

Hope everyone has a great on-plan day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #36  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Morning everybody!

I'm feeling a lot better this morning than yesterday, so a huge thanks to all of you for listening to my rants. Of course, the fact that it's Friday might have something to do with that!

I had the most horrible headache all day yesterday, and I really wanted to go home sick, but there was a meeting I had to go to. I don't feel like it achieved much at all - it was supposedly a look at why people think there's no opportunities for career advancement - and I get the feeling that the feedback we gave will be completely ignored. A pity really, because there was some good stuff there - such as people being told that they need to get their "brand" out there and recognised when they've been working with the company for several years and that person then finding out that the job they applied for has been offered to a person who's been with the company for less than a year. Nobody's quite sure what that means, but the reality is we're there to do a job, not go around saying "look at me - aren't I fantastic". Fun fun fun.

CC - go you with the sticking on plan! Well done! We haven't had issues with mortgage companies going bust - yet - but we have a real problem with finance companies going under. They tend to offer finance to people buying cars and there have been 7 go under in the last year, including 4 in the last 6 weeks or so, and there are rumours of another one going under. Unfortunately, credit is far too easy to get here.

Cheryl, ignore the scale. You'll be retaining water with the cold - presumably you've been keeping up your fluid intake while you haven't been well - and you'll be fine on weigh in.

Yay, Tricia's back! Good luck with the exams and here's hoping you get no pain from your hip.

Laurie, way to go on the running. That's brilliant! I want to start running - I should look at that C25K programme that everyone talks about. That might just have to be this weekend's job, I think. Can I ask how long you've been running, or is it something you've always done?

Rhonda, sounds like you had a great day yesterday and fantastic that you're sleeping again. That does make a difference, I think.

Have a great day, everyone!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #37  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Good morning everyone!

I'll get me out of the way since it's short and sweet.

Food:
Exercise:
Sleep:

I'm on a roll!

Cheryl, I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Don't sweat the scale. Mysterious gains can leave as quickly as they arrived.

Hi Tricia! Great that your hip is feeling better. Food as a reward has long been one of my issues, so I know that impulse well. You can resist it! Good luck on your exams!

Laurie, your exercise blows my mind! Good job bringing those calories up, keep going - you want to continue to have all that energy for those workouts!

High five on the sleep, Rhonda! And the treadmill - WOO HOO!!! You are doing so great. I watched two of the Truth About Food shows, but I'm not sure which two. My cable desriptions are all messed up for that show, so I may have missed a few. I saw the one about people eating 11 pounds of fruits and veggies a day (makes me bloat just thinking about it) and the one about couples having trouble having babies. I'm just going to record them all (repeats too) and just delete the ones I've seen. Glad to know we're doing things right! I have to say I like that they are using Europeans in their segments - I know the US is a fat country, but we aren't the only ones that struggle.

Have a super day everybody!

Edit: I missed Nicole... We had the same struggles at my own company that you are having there. Funny how we're half a world away and struggle with the same things! Glad you're feeling better today. Your weekend is almost here - YAY!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 09-20-2007 at 01:53 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #38  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Hi everyone! I have not been doing that great the last two days (food wise)....not terrible, but certainly room for improvement. No workout yesterday, not time for the gym today, although I may get a walk in later.

On a positive note, I LOVE my hair! My hilights are caramel (if I can't eat it, I might as well have hair that color ) and I am going to *try* growing out my bangs a bit....we'll see....I actually left it down and let the curls do their thing today. I have gotten SO many compliments!

I'll get caught up w/ everyone this weekend!

mj
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolen View Post
Morning everybody!
Laurie, way to go on the running. That's brilliant! I want to start running - I should look at that C25K programme that everyone talks about. That might just have to be this weekend's job, I think. Can I ask how long you've been running, or is it something you've always done?
Actually, from high school on, I've always envied runners but never had the guts to try it. One of my best friends ran cross country, and I always wished that I could do it. I started out in the middle of May walking about two miles. I quickly expanded that until I was walking about six miles every day by the end of May. Slowly, I added in some running to these walks - just whenever I felt like it. I then posted a question about running on 3FC, and learned that Lisa and Tricia (and a few other 3FC'ers) both started running at weights that were as high or higher than mine at the time, and I was inspired. I started by just running a quarter mile, but once I found I could do that, I quickly increased my time to about 2.5 miles within a few weeks. I was already doing so much cardio that I transitioned much more easily than I ever would have anticipated. It's only been this week that I decided to get serious about it again, though. I had built up to about 3.5 miles through the summer, which I had done several times, but I went 4 miles on Monday and 5 on Wednesday. I am sure that my previous training schedule has not been the best one, so I would encourage you to check out the Couch to 5K program that you mentioned and that I've heard about, but not seen, or another, better-planned training program. I don't know that I love running per se, but I love the fact that I CAN run. Goddess Jessica has also inspired me to do a triathlon, which I will complete before another year has passed. It is amazing what we can do when we stop listening to the negative voices and allow ourselves to be inspired by what so many people here are doing. Good luck - and let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm probably not the best source of answers, but I'd love to try to help.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #40  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

You're an inspiration, Laurie. I have been trying to get my running/jogging going. I just added a little bit here and there while walking. I have a really long way to go with it, but I figure I'll just keep trying to add it in. It does get my heart rate much higher than just walking. I was doing better when my son was with me in the mornings, before he started football practice. Then I told him he would be getting enough running in with that, so I would go at it alone. I'm not as disciplined by myself, but I'm trying to keep it going.

MJ - I love caramel color for highlights. I am sure it looks great. I have a few of those, too, along with the other colors. Now you need to go work out because you'll look great doing it!!!

CC - Good to hear you're on a roll! Good for you!

Nicole - Hang in there with the job. It gets tough to deal with it all sometimes, because we all spend so darn much time working! Do as I say, not as I do: Try to leave the stress at work when you walk away at the end of the day. It is tough to do that, but we all need a break from it!!

Rhonda - Sleep is good! (especially when you are our age!!) Glad you got some. You know, I have no trouble going to sleep at night. But if I get woken up early in the morning (like around 4 or later), I sometimes have a terrible time getting back to sleep. I start thinking about the things in my life that are bothering me or stressing me out. Then I'm out of luck in getting back to sleep.

Tricia - How'd the exams go???

Cheryl - Glad you're feeling better. Hang in there. The scale will have to cooperate soon! I'm sure it is just some water retention.

Rakel - How's it going??

As for me, I'm doing pretty good today. I got my walking in at lunch, but my shins are bothering me a bit (shin splints). I might need to get some new shoes. I'm getting there on drinking my water, but I have to focus or I'll run out of time again. My daughter has a volleyball game today, so I'm leaving work early. Sometimes I forget to get the rest of my water in when I'm at my kids activities.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #41  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Cheryl -- could be water weight maybe? If that keeps happening maybe you are plateuing or maybe you should try something different? I dunno! You know better than me! BUT, I do think some medicines can cause you to gain weight, so if you were losing weight before it, that just may be it.

royals -- I HEAR ya! Sometimes I start thinking in terms like that and I have to scold myself. Sometimes it's hard to unlearn something you've been using for so long! Oh, and LUCK!

Laurie -- Hee, a lot of people ask about my name as you could imagine! You're guess is close. Rakel is actually the norwegian version of Rachel, whereas Raquel is Spanish. It does have a different pronunciation as well -- "Rock-ul" AS for the exercise, good point, but then doesn't your body get used to doing different ones? Aye, there is so much for such a young grasshopper to learn! Congrats on getting to 5 miles! I know biking is a lot different than RUNNING, but the first time I got on the exercise bike I was amazed at how many miles I did. I kept thinking the bike made a mistake, lol. I'm no where near running yet. I was having a hard time doing DDR and not killing my ankles so I'm trying to stick to some low impact sports until I lose some more weight. I would do some walking but....... well, I just don't burn that many calories doing it, to be honest. I'm trying to burn about 500 every time I work out (which right now is 4 days a week, but I feel like I may need to push it to 5 very soon).

Rhonda -- YAY! way to get back into your routine I haven't seen any of the Truth About Food episodes because I totally SUCK at catching TV programs (hectic schedule) ... does anyone know if I can catch these on the web somehwere or if they will be reairing this? I would love to know!

mj -- Sounds cute!!! Any pics? I'm sure we would all love to see your new 'do! And if you've already posted them... SORRY I MISSED THEM! LEt me know where they are so I can gush

Well, I guess the trick to getting in replies to everyone is to open up notepad and start writing your responses there. Is that what you guys do? I was trying to remember everything when I just hit reply but that was like... IMPOSSIBLE. I don't *MEAN* to be so self absorbed I promise! :P

As for me, I'm doing GREAT! Well, the scale isn't moving much (the scale fluctuated between 290 and 289.5), but I'm getting back on plan so I know it's just a matter of letting the scale catch up! Yesterday I actually went a little under my calories. The last thing I ate was some popcorn John didn't finish and I didn't measure it so I'm not sure how many calories it was, it couldn't have been more than 2cups, so I'll say it's about 80 calories, which whould bring me to a total of 1435. So, not much under, but it's not OVER and that's what I'm happy about! Today I came in 4 calories short of 1500, and did about 33m on the exercise bike went 9.3 miles and burned about 500 calories with an average HR of 145.

I'm trying to include healthier foods in my diet. It's one thing staying under my calories, but I feel as though the content of those calories can constantly use improvement. Today I made some devilled eggs with light mayo (I LOVE THEM). I calculated the calories out and they are 50.62 calories per 1/2 an egg... and to be honest I ate a bout 3.5 eggs throughout the day. The old me would have probably plowed through more. I don't eat eggs that often, and deviled eggs are one of the only ways I like them prepared. Plus, there are only 3 of us so we can't keep them around for long or they'll get icky, so I'll have a surplus of eggs for about 3 days and then I won't make them for a few months, that's always how it goes! At least I got a lot of protien today :P

Actually, I think I did better today than I have been, but I am still lacking on the FRESH VEGGIES [and boy do I NEED them!]. I bought some fresh broccoli and green beans and hope to eat some of those tomorrow and make a HUGE salad. I really need to be eating a salad every day, but you just have to cut so much stuff up and then we don't always have a big bowl clean to put it in (we only have 2 and they tend to get used up quickly. we have some other bowls but they are seriously massive and I definitely don't need to fill those up :P) and if you don't have one of those then your toppings just go everywhere and UGH I am good at making excuses. I think maybe I'll buy some more salad bowls though, and solve that problem right quick :P

Another one of my problems is that I eat VERY fast. I eat food like it's going out of style. I TRY TRY TRY to pace myself but the next thing I know, it's all gone. I tend to eat at the computer or in front of the TV a lot, but I have found that whether I am doing that or sitting with John at the table or a restaurant, or sitting by myself even, it doesn't matter. I turn the blinders off and plow right though the whole meal before you can even blink. Does anyone have/had this problem? What did you do to re-train yourself? I could use some pointers! I eat like, way faster than anyone I KNOW. Blah

ANYWAY, man this is long. I hope everyone did GREAT today!

Last edited by rakel; 09-21-2007 at 02:00 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #42  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Morning everyone,
The scale went back down( sigh of relief), I guess it was the medicine( Therma flu.. It is almost like a tea that your drink).. I am almost better, now dd is sick,so I am taking care of her. Laurie Congrats on the running. I wish I had time to respond to everyone today, but don't, but I do hope everyone has a great day.
I am going to exercise in 60 minutes, eat breakfast, and hopefully stay on plan today.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #43  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Good morning, Everyone!

Just checking for a sec....I'm behind on a project thats due on Tuesday. Looks like I may have to put in some work time tomorrow, too. Yuck!
Our upstairs air conditioner quit working...and this is a brand new house that we've only lived in for 3 months....can you believe it?! And, the builder never returned my calls yesterday....argghhh! Today is Hubby's birthday. We are taking him to dinner tonight. I've tried to get him to tell me where he wants to go so I can plan ahead for staying on-plan, but he hasnt given me an answer yet....another argghhh! Then, my Mom-in-law bakes a cake for him yesterday....and, she's baking another one today?!...and brings it into our house and leaves it in the kitchen....why?....I've tried to tell her that Hubby and I are both back to working out and staying on-plan. She thinks that she is being nice and thoughtful. I disagree! And....the stupid scales are showing a slight gain. In my head, I know that its probably water weight from getting back on the treadmill this week and using muscles that havent been getting used much lately. But, my heart is a little frustrated. As you can see, I'm a bit stressed today, but I refuse to use the kitchen as comfort! I have planned my breakfast, lunch and snacks...and I will eat the best dinner possible. Hopefully, the scales will get friendly on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great on-plan day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Hey All,
well things are going well. Food is doing better, as for the gym....well I don't know what is wrong with me... maybe I'm adjusting to the cooler weather or the getting dark earlier etc. but I can't seem to drag myself out of bed in the mornings our out the door in the evenings... I'm just exhausted. I'm sure a lot of this is work too... I opened like 9 of Pandora's boxes at the office this week, it's not pretty. I'm supposed to speak at the Harvard Club on Tuesday... my person there has given me nothing, I have put together nothing and I'm an awful public speaker if I haven't prepared...and really the last thing I feel like doing these days is hauling my butt on stage in front of god knows how many people. I want to go hiking this weekend but can't seem to bribe anyone to go with me. I'm not familiar with any of the trails and roads at the places near where I live so I'm a bit hesitant to go by myself tomorrow...maybe it'll be good for me...but it can also be dangerous so we'll see. Anybody know anybody north of Boston who wants to be my hiking buddy?
Anyway regardless of the hiking I'm going to have a low calorie high energy weekend and try to get myself out of this exhaustion rut. I'm so happy it's Friday....the day can be over fast enough.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #45  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Sounds like lots of stress out there! Hang in there Rhonda and Sunshine! It's never fun to be under stress. I'm right there with you.
Rakel, don't worry about responding to everyone. It's kind of fun to do sometimes, but it is really hard to do all the time. Hopefully we aren't so sensitive that we'd get our feelings hurt!!

My day yesterday was pretty good, but still didn't make my water goal. I'm hoping to do better today and through the weekend.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote