Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the welcome's!

mj5- I try to walk on the treadmill every day but I have been so lazy for so long and have a bad ankle so if I make a mile it's like 'wow, I can't believe I did that!' which I know is really bad but it's all I can manage right now.

I am havng super stressful days right now and really having to fight off binges, but I see a break-up looming in my future and if that happens it's gonn get ugly.
southern_sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #17  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, everyone!

First of all, thanks to all of you for your incredible support. It feels so good to know that I am not alone in this. And, yes, CC, the crying was really good for me. I get to feeling so "tough" that it's really helpful to remember that it's okay for me to have weaknesses. Only when I acknowledge that is it possible to build strength.

Happy to report that I had a GREAT day yesterday. Calories were a little low - around 900 - but not horrendously low. Exercise was through the roof. I did about 35 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes on the stationary bike, and 6 minutes on the Stairmaster. I haven't tried the Stairmaster in five years - and when I did, I could never do even a minute. So, six minutes is kind of an accomplishment for me, especially because I started doing it when I was already tired. Then, last night, I ran four miles, which is my record. I was a little sore, but not too bad. And just as the icing, I rode my bike for all of my errands except the grocery store (for obvious reasons), so I probably rode for about ten miles. And to my great surprise this morning, I was four pounds lighter than yesterday morning. I know that it's getting rid of retained water from high sodium foods and getting rid of a lot of retained stool from my Saturday binge, but it felt amazingly good to be back to where I was before this started. I never imagined it would come off in one day, though. So, my challenge for the day is to stay every bit as focused as I was yesterday. It's too easy for me to become overconfident and screw everything up.

MJ - Thanks again for the words of support. Way to stay on track with the exercise. I know you'll be pushing that cardio hard today.

Rhonda - Sorry you're feeling so poorly, and even sorrier that you can't just skip work and recuperate. I know that this won't deter your newfound (and effective) determination, though. Let those starchy things call - you've got your phone turned off. And thanks as well for your encouragement. The ability to demand what I need from my family has actually been a wonderful side effect of my weight loss journey. It makes me feel better, which means I'm much more pleasant to be around, and it helps them learn responsibility and consideration, which will be important for the rest of their lives. Thank you for reminding me of the importance of that.

Cheryl - What a demanding cat you have! Hope you decided to catch up on some rest, and hope that it had a healing effect on your sinus issues. It is so tough to stay on task when you're not feeling well. I absolutely agree with you that my kids don't need the garbage any more than I do. And the ironic thing is that I can't keep any fruit stocked in my fridge except apples. Oranges, grapes, kiwi, pears, strawberries, raspberries, etc. all disappear the same day that I buy them, regardless of the quantity I purchase. So, my silly guilt feelings when they can't have everything they might want are ridiculous. Chances are good they will have weight issues when they grow up, so it's an investment in their future to help them eat better now. Thank you for helping me remember that.

CC - Hope this means that your sleeping issues are now somewhat resolved. And congrats for making a new commitment to your exercise program. Nothing makes me feel better than coming home after a good workout. You have been so supportive of me through all of this, and I can't tell you how much it's appreciated. I feel like a big whiny baby, so I appreciate your patience and your wisdom. And I have made it an official goal to make this only a setback. It really was threatening to turn into so much more. I still can't believe I almost gave up Onederland for food that I can't even type because it really makes me want to vomit to even think about it. Thank you for being so steadfastly in my corner. It makes such a difference.

Diane - Thank you, too, for your wonderful support. Great work on maintaining when your regular schedule was turned inside out. Those seem to be the toughest times for me.

Nicole - Congrats on the weight loss. I know it wasn't what it promised to be, but I suspect that only means that you'll have a really good weigh-in next week! Your job sounds really stressful, so it's admirable that you're able to maintain your weight loss commitment despite all of that stress. Incidentally, my 3YO daughter is now fixated on Australia (not sure why), and every time she talks about it or does a really bad Aussie accent, I think of you. I really do appreciate how supportive you've been during my little crisis as well. Thank you.

And another incredibly long post. I suspect once I start feeling more normal again, they'll shrink back down to manageable size. For now, though, I'm not apologizing. Long posts are a much less egregious sin than the other "diet sins" that I've engaged in recently.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #18  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Hi again! I was just starting to create 'reasons' not to go to the gym tonight, but came here instead! I AM going to the gym. I AM going to push myself doing cardio. I AM taking my dogs for a walk after.

Sunshine--Sounds like you have a great plan! Yea, the easy part...ha! I was just sitting here coming up w/ excuses not to go the gym tonight, BUT I came here instead and I am still going!

Nicole--You do sound busy! Have fun at dinner tonight! And I have always wanted straight hair! The last time I had a cut, my stylist did straighten it....it looked good, but weird too. It took me years to appreciate my curly hair!

Casey--That is great! Don't put yourself down, if that is what you can do right now, then that is what you can do! Keep up the good work!

Laurie--Great job!!! Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth...last year I became SO overconfident and did screw things up. That's ok, though, I am back at it now!

Time to go to the gym! Have a great night!

mj
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #19  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone. Today is going very well, so far. I haven't had a completely successful day for a long time. Doing well on food... went walking at noon... and I should be able to get all of my water in today. I'm such a slacker sometimes and lately water is last on my list. My noon walking friend and I were talking about how mad we get ourselves when we get off track. Part of the reason we quit walking was because it was so hot, but I struggled finding any other time to get exercising in. We had to laugh because if you really think about how much better you feel when you are eating right, drinking lots of water, and exercising, why in the world do we let ourselves get off track? I think that with me, if I have too much going on, exercising and self control are the first things to go. Stupid!!

Anyway... back on track at least for today. One day at a time!

Laurie: Glad you are feeling better. As you can see from what I said above, it happens to everyone. It doesn't make sense when you look back at mistakes you've made, but you just have to look forward. Sounds like you are doing just that. Good for you!!!

MJ: Funny how we can convince ourselves that we don't NEED to go to the gym or work out or whatever! Just have to remember how good it feels to make sure we do the right things!

Sunshine: Good to "see" you again. Boy, life can get so darn busy. I know I'm struggling with that. Last night we ate at 9:00. I'm sure that was really good for weight loss......

Nicole: I'm with you, I only wish I had curly hair. Actually, I kind of wish I just had brown hair again!!! I have to keep it colored all the time. The grays are coming in so think now. Kind of goes along with the bi-focals in my glasses, I guess!

CC: I've been admiring how supportive you have been for everyone. I always look forward to reading your posts!

Casey: Sorry to hear about the stress. Nothing like relationship stress to make you go crazy. Been there! Stay strong and let us know how it is going. We're here for you.

Cheryl: Cats!!! I have plenty of my own, but now I have my MIL's cat because MIL had a stroke (long story). That cat enjoys meowing at 4:00 in the morning. My MIL was a very early riser, so I'm wondering if the cat is expecting us to get up at that time. Bad kitty!!!!

Rhonda: Hang in there, pal! Isn't it just terrible when you can't afford to get sick? And by saying "afford", I mean that you can't afford to take the time off to take care of yourself! How is everything else at your house???

C ya!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #20  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Laurie -- Thanks for your post, it was actually very inspiring to me. I've hit a few snags, yesterday I exercised but right about when I probably should have retired for the night, I got hungry, ate a tuna sandwich (granted, it wasn't BAD food, but it was still more food than I should have had right before bed) and now the scale is 290, instead of 289. Of course, it has been teetering between 289 and 290 for the past 2 days, but yesterday, my day that was supposed to get me back on track backfired. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself but I felt inspired by your post, and as soon as I get some more work done I'm going over to the exercise room and getting on that BIKE and see if I can't turn this around today!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #21  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh, Laurie, you made my day!!! We're so similar in this. I'm just at a different point in the cycle of highs and lows that make up weight loss. I don't doubt at all that at some point (or many points) in the future, I'm going hit a low and be here saying all the same things that have been pressing on you lately. So I'm gonna need to hear everything I've sent your way! That's the wonderful thing about having all of you to do this with. Oh, and I'm a "big whiny baby" more times than I care show here. Why do you think I'm in therapy?

I am so happy you are feeling more in control today and that those pounds took a hike!

Diane, thank you! Even with all the different weight amounts to lose, and the different stages of life we're all in, I see myself in so many of the posts on the 100lb Club. I felt so alone in my pain and frustration before finding 3FC, that it's unbelieveably reassuring that others have shared the same thoughts and experiences as me. Sometimes when I'm answering a post, my inner voice is saying to me, "When are you going to take some of your own advice, missy?"

And Diane, Congrats on your in control day!!! It all starts with one. And your question about why we let ourselves get off track when we're feeling so much better is THE question, isn't it? Self-sabbotage is mind-boggling and yet we all do it, time and again...

MJ, good luck with the haircut! I never know what to do with mine, hence I've probably had about 3 hairstyles in my 35.75 years. One of these days I'm gonna shock everyone with hairstyle #4. hee hee. Good for you for going to the gym. I'll promise you that I will walk tonight. How's that for a deal?

Welcome Southern sweetheart! Sorry to hear about the potential break up. Be sure to lean on us if you need help sticking with your plan.

Nicole, you've got the right attitude about the pizza! Just move on! Here's an ignorant American question for you, are you having the same interest rate/mortage problems in New Zealand as we are here?

Glad you're back, Sunshine!! I love fall too (spring and winter also). Someday I hope to love summer once I'm wrapped in less "insulation". New goals are a great way to get back in the swing of things!

Rhonda, I hope the sleep thing wasn't contagious! Hang in there!

Cheryl, you poor thing. A selfish kitty who can't tell time and a sinus/cold illness? I'm inspired by your commitment to not let it stop you! I rarely have such a valid excuse not to exercise, but I can produce one out of thin air like Vegas magician. Take care of yourself!

Rakel, try not to get too hung up on the day to day fluctuations of the scale (This is the pot calling the kettle black, mind you!). Think of the scale as a source of neutral information. How you use that information makes the difference between feeling like a failure (if what you see isn't what you expected) and learning about your body through the ups and downs we all experience. I write mine down everyday and try not to get worked up about it. I do my job (eating right, exercising - when I'm not making excuses) and I let the scale fall where it may. And despite up days and stay the same days (or weeks) I can look back and see that the general trend is DOWN. And that's all that matters to me. Looking back and seeing that two months ago I had a rough scale spell and it worked itself out eventually makes the same event this month or next month less frustrating and scary.

As for me, yesterday was fine. I ate well and went to the grocery store to refill the fridge. I didn't walk (she says with embarrassment), but I will tonight. No, really.

Hope you all have (or had) a really good day!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 09-18-2007 at 06:51 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #22  
is recommitted

CC -- Oh yeah, I know, it's just I've been having a real hard time for the past 2 weeks -- WELL, here's what happens, I do pretty good then, then I steer from my plan and the scale jumps up a little, then I boil down and do better and it goes down. I haven't really lost any weight off my goal for awhile now, I'm just losing what I keep gaining... so yes, overall the scale is heading downward and I'm happy about that, but I think I could definitely be doing better and not stalling all of the time! I need to stay on plan every day!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #23  
is recommitted

update: I just did 30m on the exercise bike, burned 510 calories (I really pushed myself!) and only stopped once. My total miles were 8.1, my average heart rate was 143 (though I spent a good amount of time up in the 150s - 155). I'm pretty happy with that. I was going to go for a dip in the pool after I was done to cool off but it was closed. I could have actually gone swimming, b/c the weightroom has a door that leads to the pool, but there were signs that said "POOL CLOSED" so I figured I would obey :P
Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #24  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Good morning, Everyone!

Well, I'm dragging my butt around again this morning. I didnt get to bed early enough last night...I know, I shouldn't do this to myself, but I had great reasons to stay up late. I had to watch the finale of Big Brother and the next episode of Biggest Loser, which was 2 hours. Tonight, its time to get my priorities in order again and get to bed by 10:30. I know how important sleep is to my weight loss efforts and my sanity.

Nicolen, Stay away from the pizza!! (I'm trying to be like Jillian on the Biggest Loser...is it working?)

Casey - I'm sorry to hear that your relationship is going through some tough times. We are here for you.

Hope everyone has a great on-plan day.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-19-2007 at 08:03 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #25  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

good morning everyone,
Thanks for all the well wishes, it is official I have a cold, I feel horrible, but did all my exercises yesterday, today I did my 39 minutes on the elliptical, but didn't do anything else, I just couldn't. Hubby is out of town on a job, so I am all alone to nurse myself, but I am not giving up. The scale is still moving downward, so I am happy with it, and am looking forward to being out of the 220's in the near future.
Hope everyone has a great on plan day.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #26  

Just a quickie this morning.

Casey - So sorry to hear about your personal difficulties. During the highly emotional struggles, it's easy to turn to food. But I hope that you know that staying on plan will help you feel more in control of your life, will help you feel good about yourself at a time when it's easy to lose that, and the exercise is a much better stress reducer than all of the chocolate frosting in the world. Good luck with your decision.

Rhonda - Hope you're feeling less ill today, even if the tired is still there.

Cheryl - Sorry to hear that you're suffering from a cold, but congrats on tackling the exercise anyway. I've read that working out through a cold actually makes it go away faster. Hopefully, it will for you.

Rakel - Thank you for your sweet post. Hopefully, your on-plan days will start outnumbering your not-quite-on-plan days significantly. Congrats on pushing yourself on the bike, too.

CC - Hope that the walking will go well today. And thank you for making me feel less conspicuous about my cries for help. With luck, you won't face the same issues, but if you do, I have your responses safely tucked away in my brain, waiting to spew them back at you or anyone else needing them!

My calories are starting to come back to where they need to be, though it's still hard for me to be happy about the increasing number, even when I'm working intentionally to increase it. Yesterday, I consumed 1136 calories. I am going to aim for 1200 and try to keep it there. My exercise was pretty good. I did 12 minutes on the Stairstepper (and way proud of it!), 32 on the elliptical (and continuing to increase the resistance), and 20 on the stationary bike. Instead of walking/running, though, I did an hour of water aerobics and about 15 minutes of lap swimming. Not an even exchange, but it does help to shake things up. I also had trouble with my VCR, so I short-changed the strength training, although I did do abs. Not bad. I do wish, sometimes, that those exercise machine read-outs were accurate. My elliptical always tells me I burn 550-600 calories in the half-hour I use it. Wouldn't it be great if I could really burn 2 candy bars in a single half-hour? **SIGH** I have to admit I love to see the number, even if I know it isn't accurate.

So, another on-plan day, and the scale is continuing its downward movement. There's a small chance I'll see the next decade before next weigh-in. I would love to say goodbye to these troublesome 190s!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #27  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Rhonda - Unbelievable. I missed the finale of BB8. I didn't even think about it, but we were busy last night again, so that's my excuse. Sheesh!

Rakel - Hang in there, it sounds like you've done well with your exercise. But, to let a silly "Pool Closed" sign stop you???? (Just kidding!)

I'm having a good day so far. I didn't get all my water in yesterday, but it was close. I'm looking for a better effort today!

Gotta run.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Hello world.
Gosh my world is all so dramatic these days! So far so good today. Had a bit of a snack attack last night but nothing too terrible...better than it has been. Watched most of the new Biggest Loser....love it, so motivating. Anyway no gym last night but I'm going tonight. Just trying to get to that place of control again. I'm most of the way there!

Sorry I don't have time for anymore right now....the drama is calling!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #29  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Morning everyone!

Stressful day at work yesterday. I'm not really prepared to post all the details on a public forum in case my company decide to go looking for things, so yeah. In a nutshell, we're majorly behind, and management have decided we're going to have a "workathon" today. Seriously, what do they think we do every day? Sit around doing nothing? The new system is also causing issues in that policies are auto-cancelling for non payment before the client gets all the paperwork, and sales are basically taking an attitude of "That's the client's fault. Not reinstating!". Given that there are acknowledged issues that we all know about, I'm finding their service appalling. I'm insured with my company, and I'm going to see what happens when my policies renew in February and see whether it's worth keeping them as my insurers...

Laurie, fantastic stuff on yesterday! Go you!

Diane, the excuses are easy to find and then when you think it through, you realise how self-defeating they can be, don't you?

CC, our interest rates are very high at the moment. Looking at my bank's website, the floating rate is currently 10.5% with the fixed rate being about 1% lower than that. My mortgage is on a fixed rate below that because my father told me about a year ago to change it to a fixed rate - he was an accountant, so at times like this he's very handy! I'm just thinking about starting a thread comparing prices between countries of the things we all have to buy like insurance, electricity etc. That could be quite interesting...

Rakel, keep it up! You're doing well!

Rhonda, the pizza is in the rubbish. I chucked it out yesterday morning and I have no intention of going hunting for it!

Cheryl, is there anything worse than a cold? You feel miserable, even though you know it's only for a couple of days. Get well soon!

OK,I'm going to have a positive, on-plan day today. Yes.

Take care, everyone
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #30  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hey all!

Glad the overall trend is for a good day for all of you today!

For me:
Food:
Exercise:
Sleep:

Yay!

Nicole, re the rates... OUCH! Good for you for getting a fixed rate. We're having all sorts of problems here with people getting into to-good-to-be-true mortages last year and defaulting on their loans like crazy now and being foreclosed upon. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Laurie, way to go getting back on plan!!

Have a great day everyone

Last edited by CLCSC145; 09-19-2007 at 03:23 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote