3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   So, *I* am the one!?!? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/122685-so-%2Ai%2A-am-one.html)

RitzyFritz 09-12-2007 11:29 AM

So, *I* am the one!?!?

As most of you have already read, I home school. When I was purchasing things for this school year I came across a poster that I love. When I bought it I was thinking about my youngest son who uses every excuse in the book (in fact, I believe he WROTE THE BOOK!) about why he can't do this or that when it comes to school. ;) I proceeded to buy it and hang it in our school room so he could readily see it daily. Incidentally, I work in the same room as we do school, so I have plenty of time to read it for myself and evaluate my own life.

During the past few days when I was re-grouping and getting re-focused on my weight loss goals, I looked at the poster and it just struck a chord with me again - only this time it was for ME and not my son that it really hit home.

The poster reads: It takes only ONE person to change your life....YOU.

Now, it may not do anything for you the first time you read it, but I challenge you to re-read it. As you ponder your life, think about the TRUTH to this and see if it doesn't make you think about your weight loss efforts (and other areas in your life) where YOU and ONLY YOU can truly change your life. So....back to my initial question - so I am really the one who has to make all the changes? Yep, I sure am! So no one else will do this for me? Nope, they sure won't. And the good thing about this is I really CAN change my own destiny if I just remember that no one else will do it for me - I must do it myself if I TRULY want a happier, healthier, and more productive future. It is really up to us individually, folks. :D

I hope this helps you as it helped me while I re-grouped and re-focused on why I want to lose weight. I have to make myself behave around food and not the other way around! I want to get ALL THE WAY TO GOAL. And guess what? I will be the one to do it. ;)

Have a blessed day!! :hug:

ChristyDM 09-12-2007 11:34 AM

Ritzy, THANK YOU for this!! :hug:

This is something I NEEDED to see today. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jen415 09-12-2007 11:49 AM

Amen sistah!!

Lainey2 09-12-2007 12:01 PM

What a great post! This is what I needed today. I will continue to read this thread and see what others have to say. Thanks!

shelby897 09-12-2007 12:30 PM

Thank you -- I'm a horrible one at blaming someone else -- my mom because she didn't teach me good habits, my husband because he makes me uncomfortable about my weight, my kids because there seems to be no time to exercise. My list goes on and on. You are so right -- the decision, the work, the goal is mine -- mine to acheive, mine to struggle through and mine to enjoy.

I hope you all have a great day.

RitzyFritz 09-12-2007 01:11 PM

Oh, good!!! I'm so glad it is helping more folks than just me! I tell ya, I think we all probably have a tendency to pass the buck at times. But, when it comes to weight loss there just isn't anyone who can better help us than ourselves!!

As the saying goes, "If it is to be, it is up to me!" That is so, so true!!

Everyone keep up the great work!!! We will win this battle once and for all. Then, we will know just what we can do. :hug:

hellokitty81668 09-12-2007 01:20 PM

Thank you for this post!!

cheryl

CLCSC145 09-12-2007 03:51 PM

Great post, Ritzy!!

Mrs Quadcrew 09-12-2007 04:03 PM

Are you sure you didn't have a twin that was seperated at birth and now lives in Ohio??;):D

rockinrobin 09-12-2007 04:22 PM

Great reminder Ritzy. I sat here reading your posting nodding my head up and down in agreement.

I remember thinking that I, was the one who got me into this mess (weighing 287 lbs) and therefore I was the only one who could dig me out.

Thanks for posting this. :)

RitzyFritz 09-12-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Quadcrew (Post 1851556)
Are you sure you didn't have a twin that was seperated at birth and now lives in Ohio??;):D

Not that I know of!! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 1851577)
Great reminder Ritzy. I sat here reading your posting nodding my head up and down in agreement.

I remember thinking that I, was the one who got me into this mess (weighing 287 lbs) and therefore I was the only one who could dig me out.

Thanks for posting this. :)

It is really quite elementary but I think in the hectic life that so many of us live these days AND the fact that it seems there is a lot of passing the buck in our society, we tend to forget those "simple principles" and that the responsibility lies squarely on our shoulders. Now...let's take care of our responsibility - responsibly! LOL!!

LisaMarie71 09-12-2007 07:22 PM

Thanks for posting this. It's sooo simple but sooo true!! And it's easy to lose sight of as well. It's something I stress with my students -- that THEY are responsible for every choice they make in my classroom and in their lives. I have a poster in my room that says "Take responsibility: if it is to be, it is up to me." which is what you posted above, Ritzy! But for years I didn't take responsibility for my own health!

The other great thing about realizing the impact of that statement is that when we DO finally make the changes and choices we need to make, we can be really really proud of ourselves!! When I take a long run or fit into a size 8 skirt, I get to feel incredibly good about myself because I know it was my hard work that got me there, and no one else's. That feels wonderful. So it's our responsibility, but it's also our reward.

RitzyFritz 09-12-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 (Post 1851780)
Thanks for posting this. It's sooo simple but sooo true!! And it's easy to lose sight of as well. It's something I stress with my students -- that THEY are responsible for every choice they make in my classroom and in their lives. I have a poster in my room that says "Take responsibility: if it is to be, it is up to me." which is what you posted above, Ritzy! But for years I didn't take responsibility for my own health!

The other great thing about realizing the impact of that statement is that when we DO finally make the changes and choices we need to make, we can be really really proud of ourselves!! When I take a long run or fit into a size 8 skirt, I get to feel incredibly good about myself because I know it was my hard work that got me there, and no one else's. That feels wonderful. So it's our responsibility, but it's also our reward.

So well said!!! Thanks for your contribution. This is what makes this forum so wonderful!! I love what you said "It's our responsibility, but it's also our reward." That is a great line to think on!

MamaSam 09-12-2007 11:20 PM

wow, this is good! I think I need to look for that poster to put up in our school room... for me!!!!;)

I need to meditate on that for awhile, I know it could change my life. I was thinking somewhat along that line tonight while I watched my VERY skinny hubby who is in his 50s... scarf a HUGE bowl of ice cream with all the stuff on it. Of course, this is after eating kipper snacks and an entire sleeve of crackers for lunch plus fruit and then who knows how many tacos for supper. I was feeling sorry for myself as I ate a handful of grapes when it suddenly hit me. So what that he can eat whatever he wants!! It doesn't have to affect me any more. I need to stop worrying about what he is eating and just learn to eat what my body needs for health and forget it.

Years ago when I was in the Air Force, I would run 3 miles a day over to my MIL's house and then swim laps in her pool for at least an hour and then walk the 3 miles home. I did this every day. I would eat salads and just a tiny bit of regular food in order to fit into my uniform and stay under the weight standards. My husband, never worked out at all and ate huge amounts of food and wore size 28 pants until his mid 40s. I would eat one taco and a salad and he would eat 12-18 tacos in one sitting. We lived like this until I had our second daughter when I guess I just got fed up and started eating what he ate... and slowly packed on the lbs. I would diet off 25-30 lbs and then gain it back +.

I think that if I keep having moments like tonight, I might just make it this time. Maybe I need to make my own poster... " it doesn't matter what anyone else does, I am in charge of my body and my health!" I know this is way too much info, but it sure helps to spit it out! :o

Thanks for the uplifting encouragement! Have you been homeschooling long? We are in our 17th year. I have two that are graduated, married and giving me the loveliest grandbabies including identical twins. :carrot: Two more to go in school, but thankfully they'll be in school 5 more years.

blessings,

RitzyFritz 09-12-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSam (Post 1852063)
wow, this is good! I think I need to look for that poster to put up in our school room... for me!!!!;)

I bought it at Mardels if you have one of those available to you. Otherwise, you might want to search online to see if you could find it there. It is really quite simple to look at but really does have a great message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSam (Post 1852063)
Have you been homeschooling long? We are in our 17th year. I have two that are graduated, married and giving me the loveliest grandbabies including identical twins. :carrot: Two more to go in school, but thankfully they'll be in school 5 more years.

WOW!!! Your 17th year! My hat is definitely off to you!! It is a challenge but very rewarding. I am currently in my 5th year.

As for hubby's eating habits, it IS hard to watch this go on. But, you are so right to realize that you will have to just let him do his thing while you do what it takes for YOU to be healthy and feel better. My husband eats what he wants too (although he ISN'T skinny and really needs to lose as well), but I really have gotten to the point where I don't LET it bother me. Oh, yes it could if I would let it - but I have done what you said - chosen NOT to let it bother me. I can genuinely say that it no longer bothers me now that I have trained my brain for 9 months now.
:D And, I'm liking the benefits I'm reaping from doing what it takes for ME to be what I need/want to be. ;)