Old 09-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Sweetie, I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. You of all people, who have come so very far and helped so many, you just don't deserve to feel this way.

We are all so proud of you here at 3FC. You, you, you running chickie you. What's a little leg rippling amongst friends, eh? But yes, I know how you feel. Nothing like seeing the old legs IN MOTION to put a damper on ones mood. But hey girl, I know you're a smart one and I know that you know just how much better your life is now then it was prior to your incredible weight loss. Are we perfect - uh uh. Do we need to be - no, of course not. Hold your head up high and be proud of your huge, huge, GIGANTIC accomplishments. A marathon for goodness sakes. I mean, come on, look where you were a year ago. There were no marathons taking place then, no way.

You are a beautiful, beautiful girl. Both inside and out. You have added years to your life. You have added quality to your life. Keep that chin up and don't let some action shots get the best of you.

And I'd just like to mention, that everything that I have ever heard about donating skin to burn centers have always proven to be false.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I guess two things -

One - anyone besides you who looks at those pictures is going to see how amazing you look and how much GOOD you have done for yourself. I'll bet your DH wasn't going, "ooh, look at the skin on your legs!" He was saying, "Jeez, here you are at the 10th mile DOING GREAT!"

Two - Go buy a tabloid, LisaMarie. One of those skinny famous people at the beach in their bikinis with their cellulite showing and their faces with no make-up. You will see that EVERYONE can take awful pictures. Don't let it slow you down, dear!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #18  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I understand. When I see a picture of myself, I think "who is that??!!" I seem to think I'm skinnier and much younger than I really am. I know you're disappointed, but please remember....your pictures weren't airbrushed or put through photoshop! Have you seen this? http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat4.asp?id=6909 and this one http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...nd_redbook.php Its all about perspective. You’ve lost a ton of weight, you run, and you’re a teacher! I want to be like you one day. You’re beautiful.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-10-2007 at 01:47 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Height: 5'5"

I can only imagine how you felt seeing those pics. But, for what it's worth, "in action" shots of most people that I've seen are never very flattering. But beyond that, I think it's awesome how much you have accomplished! And you are such an inspiration to me and so many others here. I doubt I will ever run a marathon, or even a half of one, but I do really look up to you and your accomplishments. I have a list of "who I wanna be like when I grow up." (never mind that I'm already 30. hehe) and you are on it, along with several others here on 3FC. I would try to think of the legs as battle scars, of sorts. They show how far you've come. I hope you are feeling better about this by the time you read my post.

Last edited by ChristyDM; 09-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #20  

Height: 5'5"

I don't know that I have any words of wisdom. Like Trazey, I've been pondering this for some time trying to think of what I can say to make you feel better without making it worse. I'm just going to assume that those pictures were as awful as you say (though they might not have been), and I'm so sorry for that. But, like others have said, I have also seen pictures of some of the most beautiful women in the world that have made them look atrocious. Without being a photography expert, I do know that so much has to do with angle and lighting and lenses, etc. I don't think that others necessarily see what you saw with those pictures when they watch you run. The thing that I fear the most for you is that you'll become self-conscious enough that it impacts your determination to run. Though Seranab makes a great point that you can run in whatever clothes you need to run in, I would encourage you to continue wearing what's comfortable for you.

I know that you said that you didn't want to hear it, but I want to say it. You have accomplished incredible things, and your weigh-in this morning tells me that you're continuing to log amazing accomplishments. So, please don't stay too long in discouragement mode. The blips happen, but you have proven that you can overcome them time and time again. I know that this is only going to be a small setback for you.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Thank you sooooo much, you guys! It means so much to me that you lovely folks care enough to try to make me feel better. And it worked! I honestly do feel much better about everything now, especially after reading your wonderful replies. My legs really aren't that bad, actually!! It's just that wiggly inner thigh bit they managed to capture so realistically on camera! The outer thigh, the quad, etc. are getting quite lean and muscular from the running, but I think I'm stuck with inner thigh skin for the rest of my life, so I'll just accept it and move on, and I'll just be happy that these legs are carrying me all these miles!

Yesterday after I posted about the pictures, I took a six-mile run and my legs felt heavy and tired all the way. I kept apologizing to them and thanking them for carrying me!! I felt bad for calling them ugly when I considered all the things they're doing for me!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HALF MARATHON!!!!!!!

That takes a heck of a lot of time, commitment and determination you should be so extremely proud. I'm happy you can appreciate all the amazing things you and your legs can do!

I totally sympathize with you on the action pictures though. I ran the Marine Corp Marathon last year, and was SO proud of myself. But then, when I went to look at the pictures online the next day... I was horrified! I looked like the pillsbury dough boy if the pilsbury dough boy ran I didn't want anyone to see the pictures, and I got really depressed about it.

It was really hard to convince myself that running a marathon was still an incredible thing, even if I didn't look like a fitness model doing it.

So again

CONGRATULATIONS on the wonderful accomplishment!
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #23  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Urban legend? Really? An acquaintance was telling me that she was going to the clinic (in Florida) for the pre surgical consultation. She had lost about 100 of the 300 she needs to lose. I don't speak to her anymore, so I can't get the name of the clinic. I am sorry.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #24  

I had a similar thing happen. After losing 47 lbs and being lower weight than ever -- I got some photos taken at my nephew's shower and I didn't think I looked any better! I still have massive gaps on my cone legs. So when wearing a skirt they still rub together.

What has gotten me though it is that someone told me once that it takes time for your body to adjust and put the fat where it should be. And that makes sense. Right now I feel my fat is coming off all over the place. Haphazardly. My body needs time to realize there are gaps in places and move things around and tone up naturally.

Kind of like the defragmenter on my computer. Before I run degragmenter my computer bits are all over the place and after everything is moved around and in good order. I think your body might do that on its own but it takes time. And although you can't spot tone -- I think that the idea of Pilaties or something will stimulate your body to move stuff around.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #25  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I can't think of ANYONE that looks good after running a marathon! LOL

Congrats on your amazing feat!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
I can't think of ANYONE that looks good after running a marathon! LOL

Congrats on your amazing feat!
I second that! I've seen some pictures of some pretty thin, muscular women who look AWFUL while running. Don't buy the pictures, they're lying to you - you probably look fantastic!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #27  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

You know what I'd think if I saw a bigger-than-marathon-runner sized person (a) running a half-marathon, and (b) with loose skin on her thighs from recent weight loss? I'd think, "wow, she's incredible! What dedication and effort it must have taken for her to get this far." And I wouldn't be alone. Don't be harder on yourself than a stranger!
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #28  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Don't be harder on yourself than a stranger!
Now that's some good advice!!! Glad you have your positive attitude back!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I had a friend who started dissing what she felt were her heavy legs. Then she ran into a friend who had to have a leg amputated, and she realized that at least she had two good working legs. Sounds like you came to that realization, too. Maybe your legs don't look so good to you in a photo, but, dang, they work so well for you! I mean, shoot, you did a half marathon!! How many people here have done that?

The other day when I was walking hurriedly to my destination, I heard this noise, and realize it was my inner thighs slapping together as I walked fast. Yuck!! But it also made me laugh. My body will never even look as "bad" as Britney Spears' body did in that black bikini. A combination of genetics (where did these large hips come from?), obesity, and age is kind of bringing things down, if you know what I mean.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote