Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:07 PM   #1  

Default Newbie

What a great group you all have here!! I stumbled upon this site a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying reading all of your posts, and finally have had the guts to join in.

I am 36 years old, 160 lb. overweight...at 327 lb. today. I have been overweight all of my life (except for maybe a few years when I starved myself thin). I put my education on hold for the past 18 years because I was too afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it through nursing school....but after all this time I finally found it in me to at least go and take the entrance test last summer. To my amazement I was accepted into school and have just completed my first semester. I stick out like a sore thumb because the other students are all much thinner than me, and I really have to struggle to keep up with them when we are working in the hospital. Not only do I need to lose this weight for my health, but if I want to be a good nurse in 1-1/2 years when I graduate I better get my butt in gear now.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and sharing in your successes.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:22 AM   #2  

Marianne, good for you for going back to school. The most important thing about being a good nurse is having compassion. Don't worry about the other students being smaller than you. You will get there.

Angie
Old 01-06-2002, 07:00 AM   #3  

All the best, Marianne. The best advice I could give is to keep on plugging away, and one day you'll get there. Welcome, and good luck.

Karen
260.5/173.5/140
Old 01-08-2002, 01:14 PM   #4  

Default WELCOME

Just a note of welcome to our little club.
Now you must decide which plan is best
for you to lose the weight and we'll be
with you all the way. All of us are on
varied different programs. And congratu-
lations on returning to school.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Marianne, I am a RN, graduated 2 1/2 years ago. I was also overweight and a mature student when I started school. During school I gained weight because of working almost full time plus school, it led to a lot of take out and no exercise. I wish you the best in this battle to lose weight. I know you will find it much easier to work in the hospital if you are in good shape. Right now I am on maternity leave until September and I'm hoping that I will lose as much weight as I can before returning to work. It was very rough even before I got pregnant as I work on a ward with a lot of lifting and moving patients. It is hard work and being overweight just makes it worse. My feet would usually feel like they were ready to fall off by the end of my shift. I hope you will keep up posting here as it can be very helpful to have the support of people who understand what you are going through.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:35 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I went through 4 pregnancies as a floor nurse RN also but i have 18 years of work behind me. I know the feeling!!! great on going back and stick to your guns. studay hard and you will do fine. You may feel self concious but that will pass, and soon all of you will be friends no matter what your and their size.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:13 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Angry Welcome!

Marinanne, how wonderful that you are following your dreams. Welcome to our little group of gals. Everyone here is so wonderful. Feel free to jump into any of our discusions.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #8  
gbo

Through the best of times, this is the place to be, through the worst of time this is where you need to be. Everyone here is a true Warrior in the best sense of the word. We have a battle to win and sometimes we all fall but... we climb right back on and keep going. Sometimes one of these precious people will kick you right where you sit to keep you on track but I promise you it is in love and with total understanding of your own battle, because it is our too. Post everyday you will find it is extremely helpful and after a short time you will find you can't wait to get back here.
We all keep each other accountable for our choises. This is the greatest cheering section you will ever find so hang tough and read and post. Take care
Pam
Closed Thread