Old 08-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #46  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

So I have this thing called sensory processing disorder (and frankly it sounds like some of you all might too!) It's vaguely related to OCD... basically my brain thinks certain types of sensory input are threatening even though they're not- certain textures, sounds, whatever just initiate a fight or flight reaction where I need to either get away from the sound/texture or I get more and more panicky and uncomfortable ("teeth hurt" "nails on a chalkboard feeling")... ends in nasty panic attacks if I can't get away. Anti anxiety meds help a lot - celexa for me - and there's an excelletn book on SPD in adults called "Too Loud, too Bright, too Fast, too Tight" - anyone who is interested should check it out. On to my quirks -

-I can't stand the sound of birds chirping, ever - cooing is ok, but high pitched chirping freaks me out.

-It bothers me beyond all reasonableness that my pinky toes are bent. EVERYONE'S pinky toes are bent, but for some reason I have to stretch them out straight on the floor constnatly. I really want to find a doctor who will break them and reset them straight for me.

-I also hate my food touching, although this one has gotten much better over time.

-Things have to be even on both sides of my body - if I hit one knee, I'll hit the other knee. This is much worse when it comes to my fingers and toes - everything is worse around my fingers and toes. Still, much better than it was when I was little.

-I need the skin under my nails to be pushed back constantly - it freaks me out to no end when people have their nails bitten down so far that the skin pokes over the top. Makes me want to die a little inside.

-Sand on my toes, or anything dry against my feet when they are dry. AWFUL.

I have no clue how my boyfriend deals with all this. Some nights I yell at him because he breathes on me. Poor boy.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Perhaps related to sensory processing disorder....

I cannot stand the idea of biting down on/having my teeth touch a popsicle stick... and I can't deal with biting the fuzz on peaches.

Makes my teeth clench just typing this! *shudder*
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #48  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I think we all are normal.....
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I have quite a few, but the ones that popped immediately to mind are:

1. I love the smell and taste of vitamins. I really wish I could get the Flinstones kind so I could chew on them, but I do break my multi in half and let it dissolve a bit before swallowing because I really enjoy the taste.

2. I count two random things--syllables in words (not all the time, but when I get going...)--I tick them off on my fingers and don't like it when the count doesn't end on a thumb or pinkie. I also count how many credits are listed before the title of a movie is shown to see what the longest is. Right now, of what I've seen, it's Robert Altman's The Company.

3. I have a crippling fear of pigeons. I don't know what it is, but I loathe and fear them.

This reminds me of that episode of Sex and the City where they talk about "Secret Single Behavior."

Quote:
I cannot stand the thought of touching my belly button!! Or anyone else touching their belly button infront of me!! Totally freaks me out!
This is one I don't have, but my mother does and is the same way--even talking about the idea of having her bellybutton touched freaks her out. When I was little I used to touch mine just to see her react because I thought it was hysterical.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

Rhonda I have the exact same issue with the bed covers. My husband used to think it was funny to get into bed and mess the covers as much as he could - OMG! After I totaly lost it a couple of times he stopped. My covers have to be perfectly straight when I get into the bed or I can't rest. If someone takes a nap in the bed and doesn't make it up I'll make the bed before I get into it. I'm so glad I'm not alone
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

All righty, I read through everyone else's and here are some of mine. So glad to know I'm not the only one! DH calls me Monica (from Friends) because I get so picky about things.

1.) DH always has to have light duty when we go to bed. I'm scared of the monster under my bed...or Jason or something...grabbing me and pulling me under. If he goes to bed before I do, I have to do a running jumping flying leap thing, so the monster can't get me.
2.) All that...and I can't sleep with the lights on. It has to be dark.
3.) DH has a tendency not to close cupboards/drawers. I can always tell when he's been in there, because I have to go through the kitchen (sometimes the house) and close everything. One cupboard is exempt from this rule, because our big plates prevent it from closing properly.
4.) Food can't touch unless it's meant to touch. Mom makes ham for Christmas every year. I get up and rinse the glaze off my plate, then have mashed potatoes.
5.) Wool creaps me out big time. Whe I was little, I put my sleeve in my mouth and the feeling it made against my teeth makes m shudder to this day. Can't do it...ew...ew....EW!
6.) M&Ms, Skittles, Fruit snacks, etc. all have to be organized by color, shape, etc. in order for me to eat them. Sometimes I eat the more plentiful ones until I have even number of them all. Sometimes I take out the smaller numbers and then the bigger numbers.
7.) This should probably be my number 1, but...spit. I actually learned this one from my best friend in high school. She hated it and now I do. Spit is ok...anywhere but my face. You can lick my arm, stomach, legs, whatever. Just not my face. I've freaked out and cried about this before. It's DH's last resort when I'm making him mad, lol.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

A night I have to have the drapes shut COMPLETELY, not even a sliver open, or I feel like someone is outside aiming at me through the slit with a shotgun.

I can't suck on anything chocolate. I have to bite it, no matter how hard I try not to.

When I set the radio to sleep by, I make sure it is not going to turn off right on the hour or half hour. I stagger the sleep time so that won't happen.

When I take a bath I always have to prop myself with my leg somehow and not relax too much because I think if I fell asleep or had a heart attack or a seizure or something I might drown. (Whe I was a teen my roomate drowned in the tub having a seizure).

I check ALL the windows and doors everynight to be sure they are latched, and worry about someone coming in and stealing my children.

Lyn
ELEVEN pounds gone, 99 to go!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

okay... a couple more -

- I HATE the feeling of metal on my teeth! My sister-in-law always slides her fork on her teeth when she takes bites of food.... I can't eat around her at all!! Even the thought of metal against my teeth makes me cringe!

- It really irks me when people use the words "done" and "finished" in the wrong way.... Food is done, humans are finished!!!

- I have a fear of bridges (even worse since the MN tragedy). It all started when I was little, and my grandparents lived on a farm. In order to get to their house, you had to go over a rickity OLD wooden bridge. My grandpa would take all the grandkids for a ride in his truck, stop on the bridge and have us all get out of the truck to look over the side (I know.... he was a REAL "safety" nut...haha!). So, ever since then - when we go over ANY kind of bridge - my butt clinches and my heart speeds up - no lie.
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

I would drive you all nutty because I do just about everything you all hate lol.

The only ones I can think of is I need to check all the locks on my work truck before I leave it at least twice sometimes 3 times. That means both doors and all 3 boxes.

I sleep better if the room is dark. I can't stand noise while trying to go to sleep once I'm a sleep I'm dead to the world. Case in point our neghibor house caught on fire and there were 5 fire trucks on the sence never heard them.

I like the air to move while sleeping. open window, fan, ac don't matter Its hard to go to sleep without the air moving.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Wow...I can't really think of anything.

* I don't like my bellybutton, temples, right below my sternum or Achille's tendon touched
* Terrified of spiders (not sure if this is a "quirk" or just "normal")
* Like to pay my bills online the second I get them
* I notice gas prices at every gas station and keep an idea in my mind what is the cheapest price of gas
* Very very concerned with healthy eating, but that's more of a lifestyle change
* I'm also not wild about certain food touching (like cranberries touching turkey or mashed potatoes), but I'd rather go get a bowl for the cranberries at Thanksgiving than rinse a plate (because of the next quirk...)
* Hate soggy things, particularly: wet cardboard, wet towels, wet tissue - food definitely can't go on a wet/damp plate (I also hate lettuce when the dressing makes it soggy, or soggy bread if there is too much spread)
* Dislike the feel of paper bags, cardboard
* Would never share my toothbrush, prefer not to share towels
* Love movie theatre trailers and count them, if I don't get at least five before a movie, I am disappointed!

Last edited by Glory87; 08-27-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #56  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

I just thought of another quirk. Cotton. I HATE pulling out cotton of a aspirin bottle. That always freaks me out!
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #57  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

This one will drive those whom hate their food to touch nuts. So prefacing with... I'm Sorry!

When I was a little girl and the wonderful world of letters the A, B, C's and then the corelation of words starting with them. I'll never forget that excitement! But it started a quirk which turned into a habit that took drastic measures to break.

I started eating Alphabetically.

My parents of course thought it was cute. But once my older brother caught on then my cousin's. Ohhhhh goodness was I teased! The only way I could stop myself from doing this was to mix all my food together till I could no longer tell which was which. I also think this is where ending my meal with a glass of milk began. Had a nasty lil incident with zuchini and needed to clean my palate so to speak.

I just thought of another. ( Go figure.. LOL )

My monies must be neatly aligned, along with all the numerals facing in the same direction.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #58  
Almost the Big 50!

another one ... I always wanted to sleep in winter with my window open, I cant, no matter how hard i try, I have nightmares if i do ,about someone pulling me out feet first thru the window.......
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #59  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I dont make the bed after I get up in the morning, but I have to make it before I go to bed. The sheet has to be completely flat and the blanket has to be even on both sides. My husband gets really annoyed, especially if he is already laying in bed and I say... Come on lets fix the bed. LOL
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #60  
Almost the Big 50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
I dont make the bed after I get up in the morning, but I have to make it before I go to bed. The sheet has to be completely flat and the blanket has to be even on both sides. My husband gets really annoyed, especially if he is already laying in bed and I say... Come on lets fix the bed. LOL
When i was married, my husband would wake up and go to the bathroom, when he came back the bed was made and perfect, I always told him not to mess it up....hummmm maybe thats why i am divorced lol ohhhh well