Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #16  
Ice Cream Slave

S/C/G: Waist size: 20/20/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
There are two fruits that I must avoid, grapes and pineapple. These fruits really stop my weight loss.....I think it must be due to the sugar content. On the glycemic index (how a food is likely to cause your insulin levels to spike) grapes are at level 62 as compared to an apple which is at 34 or an orange which is at 47. Of course, a banana is at 89, pineapple is at 94 and watermelon is at 103. Thats why I never eat pineapple or watermelon and rarely eat bananas. Of course, I'm insulin resistant and fruits can really stop my weight loss. You might be blessed and be able to eat these fruits everyday.
Wow. I survive on grapes and bananas, but I'm going to try 1 week without them to see how I do. I'm going to try apples, pears, peaches, and strawberries. Is there a link that will give the glycemic index of any food? I'm googlin', but I can only find limited databases.
JellyBelly1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I chose the Raisin Bran because I know I like it and I totally have room for a little bit higher cals just for the sake of fiber.... But I admit I didn't go through all the nutrition info and even look at the sugar content.... Guess that'll learn me, huh? lol
I just can't stand the Kashi Go Lean.... I normally love "health food" but that was just like dry sticks and leaves to me, lol! I'll try Fiber One this week.... Things sure sre different in my body these days... I never thougth I'd have a fiber problem, lol!!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Kashi Go Lean Crunch tastes a lot better than regular Kashi Go Lean (better texture too).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

nutritiondata.com has all the lowdown on glycemic index, water content, carbs, EVERYTHING! It even reccomends better choices. I go there and read about bad foods just because by the time you read all the data you can convince yourself you don't want the crap anymore. You can also change serving size which is handy sometimes.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think we have to be careful about interpreting the glycemic index, however. It's not necessarily a perfect measure of what a specific food will do in a specific person's body.

For example, the GI of a food can vary depending on the kind of food, its ripeness, the length of time it was stored, how it was cooked, etc. And the foods have been studied in isolation, but eating a meal of different foods may also affect the glycemic index. For example, fats and proteins can make a meal sit in the stomach longer, which reduces a food's GI.

All of which is to say that any of us might react differently to foods, depending on a number of different factors...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #21  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

omg after reading that thread i want grapes so bad now! lol.
i consider myself blessed because i love grapes and can stop myself at one cup... watermelon is another story compleatly!!!
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #22  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

To add what W. said you also have to take into consideration something might have a higher GI but you might only eat a very small bit of it so in essence its not much worse or even better then eatting a lot of something with a lower GI (other then it's more volume) that you might pig out on.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #23  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Wow lots of good information here. Thanks for the big up on the Raisins. I just bought a pack of the little snack boxes. I didn't even think to check out the label. I just thought about throwing them in rice (which is soooo yummy!!).
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleBody View Post
I didn't even think to check out the label.
Reading labels is really a must. There's lots of good information in them. And some surprising info as well. IMO, it's a great way to keep abreast of what we're ingesting. And that's what it's all about really. Being AWARE and on top of what we're eating. The more info we have, the better. When we know better, we do better. I'm ALWAYS learning new things.

I wish everything came with a label, like baked goods and fruit and veggies, meats. Then we'd know exactly the portions sizes and the calorie counts and all the other nutritional info. Gosh, that would be so cool.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #25  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
All of which is to say that any of us might react differently to foods, depending on a number of different factors...
Very true. That is why Southbeach teaches us to eat protein with every meal and snack. The protein helps to keep the insulin levels from spiking too much.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I love to eat fruit. We did a garden this year and hd a ton of watermelons! I love all the high glycemic fruits. Good thing I dont do the glycemic diet :P

I normally dont eat raisings, but I love the good sense yogurt covered raisins. Unfortunately they love me as well. WIth 140 calories and 5 grams of fat in 1/4 cup. I'll use the regular raisins to mix in so the fat count isnt as high.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I love raisins! Yeah, they're high in calories because they're just grapes with all the water dried out of them...but they're also pretty high in fiber. I use them as dessert on the days I'm wanting one...130 calories is much better than 300+ on a regular dessert and to me they're just as sweetly satisfying. In fact, sometimes I don't even eat them all! I think, for most people, they fall into that category of higher calorie "health" foods that can be ingested in moderation. Like granola and trail mixes...
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleBody View Post
Wow lots of good information here. Thanks for the big up on the Raisins. I just bought a pack of the little snack boxes. I didn't even think to check out the label. I just thought about throwing them in rice (which is soooo yummy!!).
I think putting a few in rice is a GREAT idea - they are calorically dense, but they are a healthy food. A few in rice is a great way to jazz up rice and making your food interesting! I make a great quinoa with slivered almonds and dried cranberries!!!

I also think raisins in snackboxes is a genius. More food should come perfectly individually portioned, it makes life easier for me.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I only eat fruit that comes naturally in single serving sizes, nectarines, peaches, bananas, apples. I can't trust myself with anything like melons or berries because the "it's fruit, it's good for you" part of my brain overwhelms the "calories still count" part of my brain.

I was in the store yesterday wondering what I was going to do once the summer fruit season is over. The stuff that comes in during the winter from Chile, or wherever, just isn't the same.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #30  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Re: South Beach... I don't do South Beach but the way I eat is faily close and yeah that pairing of protein really does help keep any sugar spikes down. One of the reasons I can still have lattes!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote