Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 03:16 PM   #16  
hot mom wanna be!

Angry hey jennelle!

Yes, I am on the internet on Christmas-who would believe it? My son went with his dad at noon and my mom had a brunch today but now that's all over with. Whew! My sister and brother in law are coming over later and we are going to see the new Russell Crowe movie. (they were gonna go anyway and they probably figured I could use the escapism of it all). It hasnt been as bad today as I thought it would be. I actually haven't eaten much at all considering I usually overdo it on holidays. Maybe I will weigh in tommorow morning!!

I didnt realize you were serious about the ADD-sorry!! If you think you are maybe you can visit your doctor who will prescribe ritalin or adderall (my son takes adderall). They may refer you to a psychiatrist first though for an eval. Basically they want to make sure you've had these symptoms since childhood. If it's true ADD then it starts very early-most kids now are diagnosed in 1st and 2nd grade. But some adults have lived their whole lives with people telling them to "get it together" "try harder to pay attention" etc.. like they are trying to drive others crazy, but they aren't. ADD patients arent doing these things on purpose, they just have a harder time focusing on one thing at a time. I'm sure you know all this, I'm just in a writing mood I guess!

I'm not glad you've been divorced but it's nice to know others have been through this before. I guess my family is odd. I only have two aunts out of my whole extended family who've been divorced, so most of them don't know what to say or do. It's tough for them too I quess. I didnt realize you had grown children. I was thinking you would be my age for some reason! LOL! funny how we picture things in our mind, huh? (I'm 33).

Merry Christmas and just think...only one week before the real challenge begins!!

Violet-I'm not forgetting about you!! hope your holiday is going well
lorelei
Old 12-25-2001, 10:52 PM   #17  

Talking christmas is almost over!

Hey,chickies!

Hope Christmas was good for both of you. Mine was really nice. Finally, my depression mostly lifted thank you Lord!

It's only my mom and I in my immediate family here in OH. My only brother and his wife and 4 kids live in the Dallas, TX area. We haven't spent a Christmas with them since 1980. My oldest niece is married and has a 8 1/2 month old baby girl whom we haven't seen yet. Heaven only knows when we'll get to meet her. They haven't been here to visit for over 10 years except for my dad's funeral and then only Terry and Lori came. We can't afford to go there. We went for Jennifer's wedding two years ago and I can't imagine when we'll get back down there.

Well, anyway, my best friends are our "family" up here. I'm sure I'll be talking about Debby a lot. She lost 100 lbs in about 15 months. She's kept it off except maybe 10 lbs in the last few months. She and I will be in that weight loss group I've mentioned before. She'd like to lose 25 more lbs but she looks really good even now. We're both about 5'9" so we can carry more than some, but I think my 330 stretches that theory just a little too far!

Of course, that was before the holidays, so it probably will be substantially more than that by now! But I'm ready to "give 'er ****" after the 1st of the year!!!

Think I'll close this book and retire for the evening. I'm 'wooped'!

Good night.

Love,

Velvet

Last edited by velvet; 12-25-2001 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:04 AM   #18  

Hi there. I am new here too and would be interested in joining you. I too am almost ready, but want to wait until the first. In fact, I have company until the 8th so I will probably start really slowly, as I don't want them to see me struggling to work out LOL.

I am not even getting on the scale for a few more days. I think I am about 225-230. I should weigh 120-130. Being 100 pounds overweight sounds so awful, doesn't it?

This is my first post, so I hope it comes out okay.

Angie
Old 12-26-2001, 01:08 AM   #19  

Dear Angie,

Welcome to our growing(in a manner of speaking--in numbers NOT lbs!!) group.

I'm new to the internet thing and threads and stuff like that. So, here's my latest flub: I had this great reply going to your post, Angie. I was telling you these really inciteful tips and such. Well, I punched the wrong button somewhere and my reply disappeared into oblivion--God only knows where!! I wonder who's reading an unfinished message....

Anyway, as I was saying, before I so rudely interrupted myself, after the 1st, I will be attending a weight-loss group here in my town every Monday. I'll share any good tips I get from them.

One of my standard tips ('specially to myself) is BABY STEPS! I will strive toward 1200-1400 calories and easy on the fat grams. Oddly enough, when I get into diet mode, I have a hard time even making 1000 cal. But, if we don't get enough cals, our bodies think they are starving, and hang onto all the fat it can! Aren't we lucky to be addicted to something our bodies NEED everyday?

Well, I'm gonna close this book. As I said before, I'm tired! (Now if only I could convince my mind to turn off, I'd be all set!) Well, anyway, welcome again and goodnight.

Velvet
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #20  

lorelei..Looks like we have quite a few members here! Woohooooo!!!

Welcome everyone! Sounds as if your all looking for the same thing we were all looking for when we came here. Support, understanding and encouragement. Came to the right place. This club has been my "piece of heaven" in my life for a long time. I've made some lifetime friends too. It's a wonderful place, and am so glad you found us. Make yourself at home...

My only "advice" is water, water & water. Oh, and keep posting and reading. It will keep you directed and strong.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:21 PM   #21  

Angry Hi Jenniffer

Hi, Jenniffer,

Shortly after Jennelle Leigh started this thread, she and I were lamenting that no one else seemed to want to join her challenge! I guess we just weren't patient enough! It's getting to that time of year where we're all looking to the 'new year, new you', huh?

I, like everyone else, need all the help and tips I can get (and, hopefully, even USE some of them!). I agree with you about the water. When I had my last successful weight-loss period, water was one of the MOST important components. In fact, even though I've yo-yo'd myself back up to WAY above my beginning weight (another story you may have read here somewhere), I STILL have my 22 oz. tandard-like glass beside me all the time.

Jennelle, everything OK with you? Seems like ages since I've heard from you. Jan. 1st is gallopping at us full-speed. As I said before, I'm excited and scared. But, you know what, after I get into the swing of the diet (or, as the ladies in my support weight-loss group like to call it, a DO-IT ), I wonder what the big scary deal was and really get into the pride and enjoyment of weight-loss!

Lorilei, how is your little guy? Did he have a good Christmas? I sure hope so. I was also glad to hear you say that the day was going better for you than you expected. Hope it was that way all day long. Sounds like you are maintaining VERY well. I need your secrets for THAT part of this life-changing journey! We'll get there! ALL OF US, huh?

Angie, I'm hip (pun totally intended) about not wanting to start struggling with exercise with guests in the house. THAT'S probably going to be the very hardest part of my re-entry into this life-style change:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, IT IS DO-ABLE. I've done it before and I can do it again!!

So, friends, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, now that I've crossed your eyes with this epistle, I think I'll release you!!

Love and luck to you all (y'all),

Velvet
Old 12-26-2001, 06:17 PM   #22  

Thanks for the welcome. There isn't any excuse for me not to exercise as I have a treadmill and an exercise bike. Also, I got a recumbant bike for my birthday at the end of Oct. I really wanted it and asked dh for it, but I have hardly used it. I think he is disappointed. I tried it a couple of times, but as usual, I tried to do too much at once. So, after my guests are gone, I want to try a few minutes a day on it. Perhaps starting slowly will lead to success.

I agree about the water. I did lose weight successfully in 1988 (53 pounds) and water was a very important part of my success. If I don't force myself, I don't drink any. However, this is another thing where I try and start drinking 8 glasses a day overnight and it just isn't possible.

Two positive changes I have made and maintained are the switch to caffeine-free diet Coke and I have worn a pedometer daily for a year and a half. I had reached a point where I was achieving 10000 steps a day and I had hoped to get to 100000 per week, but instead I have slowed down to 7000 steps per day or less. It is much harder on the weekends.

Angie
Old 12-26-2001, 10:06 PM   #23  

Angry I'd Like to join u all, if u don't mind...

I too am starting my weight loss journey on January 1, 2002! I have been the "fat girl" for as long as i can remember. At 13 i was 5'5" and 150 lbs. not really overweight then, unless you factor in my age. This time around i am using the Michael Thurmond 6 Week Body Makeover. All in all it looks like it's going to be a great program. I am posting my starting measurements in hopes that you may all do the same so we can motivate each other. I will be weighing in and measuring once a week...so every Tuesday.

Starting weight: 306
Chest: 53"
Waist: 47 1/2"
Hips: 53 1/2"
6 wk Goal: 235
Chest: 51"
Waist: 42"
Hips: 48":?
Old 12-27-2001, 12:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 248/206/199(first goal)

Height: 5 '7"

Default hello all

Just happened across yuor thread. Would love it if I could join you all in the challenge. I am 220 lbs. and have just under a hundred to lose. I have been on the LC plan for the last week and I am looking to get into a group that will help me lose lose lose and reach my goal. I am new at this and need all the help I can get.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:44 AM   #25  

Welcome girls to our 'little club'

Titania..do you realize that by setting a goal of 71 lbs to lose in 6 weeks, that
would mean a loss of 11 lbs per week!!
Which might be possible for the first
week of stenuous dieting and exercise,
but that would be VERY VERY DIFFICULT
over a 6 week period. I dont think even
Michael Thurmond himself could do that!
Don't set yourself up to fail. Goals should be attainable while still being a challenge. I wish you the best of luck.

Baby Blue...what is LC plan??
low calorie...low carb??
good luck to you too.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:09 PM   #26  

Default Wow!!

Hello EVERYone! Wow - I'm off the board for a day 'n come back to all these messages (how cool!!)

Welcome Angie, Jennifer,Titania, Baby Blue & Susan!! New people on our thread, YES!! Woo Hoo!!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas - mine was good though extremely quiet.

Lorilei, yep - I'm almost 100% sure I have ADD ... Dr. has already diagnosed me as being manic depressive (Bi-Polar) and many of the symptons are the same. I need to have a plan for anything I do and also take small steps that I can feel I can do or I get overwhelmed (ugh!) (By the way - I'm 45 *LOL*)

Velvet, I'm here 'n I'm fine Was online yesterday a little but DH and I arranged the livingroom and then I cleaned some as well so kept kinda busy.

Hey Angie, I have one of those pedometers too but have never used it since I bought it (not sure why except I just haven't). Maybe I can find mine 'n start using it too the 1st of the year and make a game of how many steps I can take. Worth a shot, right? *Smile* BUT - that's depending on the fact that I can 'find' it again - should be somewhere around here (I think? *Grin*)

I haven't decided exactly what my first goal weight will be but think I am going to try something different this time and will take it in 5 pound increments and see how that might go. My first one will be 5 pounds PLUS any excess pounds that are not even. Such as if I weigh 237 then I will make my first goal to lose down to 230 ... 5 pounds plus the extra 2 pounds which will take me to an even increment.

Not much longer now gals 'n WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!! Thanks so much for being here, you guys!! *HUGS*

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-27-2001, 01:44 PM   #27  

Talking How exciting

Hey, everybody!!

This is soooooo cool that so many want to join in this challenge! Thanx so much for starting this, Jennelle. Good to hear from you.

Jennelle, sounds like you and DH were pretty industrious yesterday. Wish I could say the same. (I can't even get mysel to rearrange the magazines on the coffeetable!)

Everyone else: WELCOME This should be GREAT with all this input.

Titiana, Susan Taw, Babyblue, I'll be looking forward to getting to know you better. It's so cool that we have people from the WHOLE WORLD joining in!!!

* COME ON 1/1/02! VELVET IS READY *

Love,

Velvet

Last edited by velvet; 12-27-2001 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:02 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 248/206/199(first goal)

Height: 5 '7"

Default hi all

Hi all..

Thank you for the the welcome. I am really looking forward to having some friends to make this journey with me. Today I am feeling a bit down because I have not lost any weight for the last 4 days. But I am determined to stick with the low carb plan because I know that it works for me.I am just not used to stalling so soon.
Barbara

225/220/130
Old 12-27-2001, 02:20 PM   #29  

Default Barbara

Dear Barbara,

Hang in there, hon - it might not come off as fast as we'd like for it to but atleast you didn't gain any, right? :-)

As for me, I'm not even going to weigh myself again until the 1st of January (well - maybe I will at midnight on New Years Eve *Smile*).

Atleast you are doing something NOW about losing weight, as for myself - I haven't started anything whatsoever with cutting down or anything -- I figure I'll have enough time to do that and am going to eat what I want to right now 'n then start on the first with a nice fresh start :-)

Don't know if any of you would be interested in keeping a diet diary but I found one online that is free if you'd like to check it out. The url is: http://www.dietdiaries.com

There is a place you can put your weight in and also any measurments. I might do the measurement thing but not sure yet if I will or if I'll just keep track of my weight instead.

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-27-2001, 04:27 PM   #30  

Jenelle:
A lot of the girls also use a diary on
fitday.com
It measures calories etc for everything
you eat.....check it out.

Baby blue...
Just take it slow...one day at a time.
Sometimes our body takes time to catch
up to what we've eaten. Thats why sometimes we pig out and the scale doesnt show it that day or week. but
suddenly a week later...BOOM !!
Just stay on program.
And be patient....
I've been stuck for 2 months now...
gaining 2 lbs, losing 2 lbs, gain 1 1/2 lbs,
lose 1 lb, gain 1/2 lb, lose 3/4 lb.
I'm ready to pull my hair out, but then I'd
be bald and fat l
Closed Thread