Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 1st Anniversary - Lessons Learned (long)

I'm not writing this to be congratulated -- I've already had so much support from you guys. It seems lately that I'm always writing posts about something I've accomplished and I don't want you to think I'm looking for compliments. I'm just at that part of my journey where I'm very close to my goal. My purpose in this post is to share what I've learned this past year and I hope that it will inspire someone who may be struggling a little or may think the road ahead is just too long or too difficult.

On July 18, 2006, I woke up and weighed myself. The scale said 275. I'd decided the day before that I would try counting WW points again. I got the new materials from a friend who was going to the meetings, and I already knew what to do. Part of me thought this was it, that I was really going to make it this time. But another part of me remembered the hundreds of times I'd thought that in the past, only to be disappointed when I gave up again and went back to my old ways. Oh well, I thought. Here I go again.

It was getting hard for me to walk around at that weight. That day I probably put on some 2x sweatpants that were tight in the waist and a 3x men's t-shirt that clung to my belly. I don't know if I exercised that day, because I didn't start logging that until August, but if I did it would've been a 20-minute walk and I would've struggled to get through it.

Today I got up at 5:45 and put on size 12 running shorts and a large size t-shirt from one of the races I did in the spring. There was enough room under it to strap my fuel belt on with 2 bottles of water. My sister-in-law met me here to run the first 3 miles with me, and then she got in her car and I finished the other 6 miles to complete my 9-mile run. It was difficult and it took an hour and 51 minutes, but it wasn't even the longest run I'll do this week. When I got back, I weighed myself and the scale said 169.

When I think back to the person I was a year ago, I want her to be able to see into the future, to see the me that's running down the road and thinking back over all she's accomplished. Even with that part of myself that believed I could do it, I would never have imagined that a year later I'd be training for a half marathon, buying size 10 pants, and mulling over a decision to be a cross country coach. I'm sad for that girl I was a year ago, because she had no idea what she could be.

On my run today, I heard pieces of songs on my iPod that really spoke to where I am today. One song said "challenge what your future holds" and that's exactly what I did. I was looking at a future of laziness, obesity, shame, and eventually illness. Now I'm looking at a future of health and happiness. That same song said "solve the puzzles in your own sweet time." That made me think quite a bit about how we often regret not doing this sooner. I started this journey when I was 34, which means I spent my twenties and half my thirties living as an obese woman. But for whatever reason, I wasn't ready to do it until now. There's no need to worry about WHY that's true -- it just is. I took my own sweet time getting here, and now I just want to enjoy the fact that I'm HERE. I was a skinny kid, a chubby teenager, and an obese adult. Now I'm a healthy, athletic adult. These are all just parts of the story of my life, and as much as I would prefer NOT having been obese, I'm grateful for the lessons I've learned. I'm grateful for knowing what I can accomplish and how strong I really am.

Another song said "the rest is still unwritten." I can do whatever I want with my future. I could even go back to my old ways, stop running, eat whatever I want, and go back to being heavy. Lots of people do that, and I can certainly see how it happens. Or I can keep running, get stronger, get down to my healthiest possible weight, and accomplish all my goals. After this past year, I know what I can do, and it's totally up to me to do it. And if you're reading this and you're struggling now or you think you can't keep up the good habits long enough to see these changes, trust me: the time passes fast, and your life gets better every single day.

Last edited by LisaMarie71; 07-18-2007 at 09:44 AM.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Not only have you accomplished so much for yourself in the past year, but that post is really wonderful and inspiring!!!!! Excellent job!!!!

And happy anniversary!!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

what a beautiful post, you said alot of things I can relate to, wearing men's shirts that were tight, being obese throught the 20's and 30's, and you are right we can do whatever we want with the future. I don't think you are looking for compliments, these posts help those of us here who are just beginning, I started near your starting weight , and reading your success confirms that this is possible if I stick with it. So I will say thank you for your posts , like robin, you are a great inspiration to me daily, and Congratulations on the weight loss and the miles you have run.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #4  
Meg

Lisa, I know you don't want congratulations, but congrats anyway!! What a fantastic post -- reading it sent chills down my spine. I've lived the dream too and you captured the whole experience perfectly. I know that a year from now you'll be right back here, telling us about your successful half-marathon and your fabulous life as a slim, athletic woman.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

LisaMarie, thank you so much for that post. It was brilliant. It made me weepy and smiley all at the same time. I related to it on so many levels (except that I've got 9 years on you).

I know your future holds many more miles being spent running and continued success.

You have much, much, MUCH to be proud of. Enjoy your vast accomplishments and thank you so much for sharing yourself so openly to everyone here at 3FC.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Lisa , what an awesome post and one that I desperately needed to see right now. Thank you. This will help so many of us that are struggling.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you, Lisa! Your post does give hope.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #8  
Skinny Minnie in Training

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/149

Wow -- thank you for that amazing post. Just what I needed to read this morning!
queenjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #9  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for a wonderful and inspiring post.
You are truly an inspiration and you tell the story so well.
Good for you and Happy and Healthy Anniversary!!
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Aw, your post almost made me cry. Thanks so much for such a beautiful message of your journey!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Happy anniversary. Thank you for posting that. And even though you said you don't want pats on the back, I want to give you one! I'm very glad that you've shared your experiences here, and I know you've given lots of hope to all of us. Congratulations!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Add me to the list of people who teared up reading your post. And a huge congrats to you. Thank you for sharing and being a great inspiration. Wow, my list of women from this board that I aspire to join the ranks of just grows and grows!
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #13  

Height: 5.6

Okay - you can add another to the list that teared up. You have made an amazing and inspiring journey and thank you so much for sharing - I hope and pray that one day I will get to share as well.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Wow, that was really awesome. It's funny that we don't always know why the last time is any different than the time before. You post made me want to go running!! Maybe I'll just take a walk instead.

Thanks for the daily inspiration...and Congratulations!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307/250

On those long days when I think I can't continue, I want to re-read your post. You gave me such hope that 1 year from now,I could post a really good report, too.
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote