Flying

• I'm flying in 5 weeks and I am a little scared of fitting in the seats. Anyone want to share their flying while large stories?
  • Unless you are very bottom heavy, you should be fine. I have full hips and I could fit in seats at my highest weight but I did need a seat belt extender. When I got down to about 300, I didn't need one any more. I really like window seats myself so I always try to get those.
  • Now, I always try to get an aisle seat because I can sort of 'twist' a little if I need a bit more room

I only needed an extender on a Virgin Atlantic flight - my hips used to measure 57 inches - and I could manage every other seatbelt.

I'll tell you one thing - the stress I used to put on myself getting ON the plane was always far worse than any seating problems!!

Remember, most planes have armrests that lift, so do that if necessary - and definitely if you know the person next to you!

Heather
  • I haven't flown in several years, but isn't it crazy that I'm still apprehensive about a flight I have to take in July? When I look in the mirror now, I see the girl I always saw, even at my highest weight, but when I try to visualize something like airplane seats, I see the girl I really was 8 months ago. My brain must be more screwed up than I realized!
  • When I was around 270-280, I fit fairly comfortably. I too always asked for an aisle seat so I could lean out a bit, otherwise I always felt I was encroaching other people's space a bit. (I am ALWAYS on really full flights; as when I travel it is at peak business times). I didn't need a seat belt extender at that weight, and I tend to carry most of my weight in my stomach/butt/hips area...I'm pretty much a complete pear.
  • I always end up flying on Southwest (if that helps for reference), and am taking a short flight to Vegas this weekend. I’ve been avoiding flying as my weight has crept up over the last year. I’m 5’9 with my weight pretty evenly distributed, and even at 300-ish the seatbelt fit, but since I’m about 20 pounds higher I am going to ask for a seatbelt extender on this trip. I always take a window seat and cram every part of my body up against the window for the duration of the flight (not fun!) to avoid spreading out against the passenger next to me, all the while trying to appear relaxed and comfortable. Thankfully my husband will be sitting next to me this trip so I won’t have to hold myself in as much. I’ve tried the aisle seat, but I felt extremely self-conscious (and HUGE) getting my arm bumped every time someone walked up the aisle from behind.

Some may disagree, but try not to focus too much on losing weight for the trip, as that kind of pressure on yourself can backfire (it does on me!) Just focus on overall health and being good to you. Judging by your height and weight, I would just ask for a seatbelt extender from the flight attendant greeting you immediately when you step on board, just in case. I know you’ll stick to your healthy habits and be even smaller in 5 weeks and probably won’t even need it! Enjoy your trip and don't worry about the flight!!

Christine