Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I loved Kite Runner....very powerful book.

Christine - I loved She's come Undone as well.

Another really amazing read is "Cane River" by Lalita Tademy. I read that in two days while camping, my husband was getting all mad at me because I refused to put it down!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Cane River was great!

I also really like Barbara Kingsolver. "The Poisonwood Bible" was absolutely hilarious! I still can get a giggle when I think of it....but it isn't a comedy...just very well written with some very humorous characters.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I just read the Red Tent by Anita Diamant for an online book club. It was pretty interesting. I just finished The Fifth Vial b Michael Palmer over the weekend. I signed up for the mystery book guild and got a ton of books for 99¢. I too love the Joanne Fluke series. I'm next in line for her latest book at the library. I read Leslie Meier but I didn't like her as well.

I'm currently reading Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass.

As for a book forum. That sounds great. I found some great reading books/series from a harry potter discussion here a bit ago.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #19  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Yesterday, I went to the local library and picked up several books on weight loss. I know, it's out of order ~ first I lost the weight and now I'm reading about how to do it. Mostly, I want to reinforce that I must continue with the healthy lifestyle in order to keep the weight off.

The book I started reading last night and would recommend is "The Business Plan for the Body" by Jim Karas. It talks about setting a 'Mission Statement' for your weight loss. Mine is "to maintain my healthy weight by continuing to eat well and exercise every day." I'm going to post it on my monitor so I see it every day.

He talks about the need to 'Go Public' with the announcement that you're going to succeed at losing weight or in our case maintaining our weight loss.
He recommends that we get a 'Management Team' to support us through our goals. That we should sit down with everyone important in our lives and explain our 'Business Plan' for losing weight/maintaining loss.

He has a chapter on 'The Competition' ~ what other fad diets are out there and why they won't work for long term success. He refers to the formula of Calories In - Calories Out = Body Weight as 'The Financials'

Now I'm on Part II Taking Action. There are three chapters in this section. One on calories and the need to keep a food diary, one on exercise, and one on setting realistic goals.

Part III is on Success. It's why I picked the book up in the first place. I want to reinforce the knowledge of how to keep the weight from returning.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #20  
missaprylj

I *love* the JoAnne Fluke books too.... Key Lime Pie Murder just came out! I think my sister got a copy from her library. I'm right in the middle of Cherry Cheesecake. *heh* Love love love.

I've got Barack Obama and Sidney Poitier's books staring at me, too. (I basically only read non-fiction) but I have to say all the books I have to read for my classes right now basically run my life.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #21  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

I loved the kite runner, I read it on my flight from Brazil to Madrid (it´s an eleven hour flight) and it was great, this crazy swiss seat next to me and wouldn´t stop talking, when I got the chance to open the book and start reading, the guy still kept going, he only stopped when I started crying ... I cried almost from beginning to end of the book...

I read recently the Time traveler´s wife, great one, a bit heavy though... The Cathedral of the sea, beautiful (I read it in spanish though...), one hundred years of solitude, a classic

Also, The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty, a great read

I also love When Nietzsche Wept and The Schopenhauer Cure by Irwin D. Yalom

On a lighter note, I thought both Bridget Jones diary books where great fun, and better then the movie, specially the second one...

I love reading and could go on and on...

Thanks for the tips girls, I´m always looking for suggestions of new books to read !!
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #22  

Oh, yes! "The Time Traveler's Wife" was great! I'm going to check into some of those other books you mentioned, Carol. Great titles always grab my attention! "When Nietsche Wept"....that's a great title!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #23  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43 View Post
I just read the Red Tent by Anita Diamant for an online book club. It was pretty interesting. I just finished The Fifth Vial b Michael Palmer over the weekend. I signed up for the mystery book guild and got a ton of books for 99¢. I too love the Joanne Fluke series. I'm next in line for her latest book at the library. I read Leslie Meier but I didn't like her as well.

I'm currently reading Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass.

As for a book forum. That sounds great. I found some great reading books/series from a harry potter discussion here a bit ago.

I loved the Red Tent. It is one of my all time favorite books. Another cute mystery book (which will be a series) is Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot. It was a fun read. Kind of a chick lit mystery.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #24  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you for this thread ~ the suggestions are helpful. I used to read more ~ probably spending too much time on the computer now ~ LOL. I used to read when I went to bed ~ helped me relax and fall asleep ~ but wear glasses now ~ can't see to read without them ~ am afraid I will fall asleep with my glasses on and bend them or something.

My favorite series lately has been the Southern Sister's mysteries ~ by Anne George. Sadly she passed away and there are only 8 in the series.

I also like the "Cat who......" mysteries by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Do any of you know of more like these? I enjoy the light funny kind of mysteries.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #25  

Hi Gayle, I haven't "seen" you in ages. I'm sure I can come up with a mystery series for you, but my brain isn't on yet (it's six am!) If I think of anything lataer, I will post.

Take care,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #26  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Gayle, I loved the Southern Sisters series - so funny. So tragic that there won't be any more of them written.

The Bones Series by Carolyn Haines that I mentioned reminds me of those somewhat in the humor and setting.

Another one - The relationship between the sisters is similar to that if the main characters in the Bed-and-breakfast mystery by Mary Daheim (I haven't read the entire series, just picked them up mid series - so I hope the entire series is like this).

Other light, funny mystery series that I can think of are the Pennsylvania Dutch series by Tamar Myers. The Ellie Haskell series by Dorothy Cannell. THe Dead End job mysteries by Elaine Viets.

Lots more but I can't remember the authors right now.... Maybe it will come to me later.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

I also love to read - thank you for starting this thread!

I think my tastes might differ a bit from others in this group as I have some recomendations that don't fit in nicely with the themes above but here goes:

1. Any of the "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child. I did not think I would like these books at all before I read one, but I love them now. Although they are not legal stories, if you like John Grisham books you will almost certainly like these (or at least that has been my experience).

2. The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad - this book is a work of fiction based on truth, the journalist lived with a family in Kabul for a few months to be able to write it.

3. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luis Zafon. Fabulous! I read it in English but I understand the original is in Spanish, so Girl From Rio this could be perfect for you.

4. Life of Pi by Jan Martel.

5. Anything by Marian Keyes - very light "Chick Flick" kind of reading. For those of you who like Irish stories she is a good bet, her stories are always either set in Ireland or involve Irish characters living abroad.
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post

Am currently reading:

non-fiction/ "When I Lay My Isaac Down" by Carol Kent and "Get Out of that Pit" by Beth Moore

fiction/ "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson

I know this doesn't really fit in with 100 lb weight forum but I would LOVE to share book recommendations with anyone!!!
Ok, I finished the "Isaac" book and would not recommend it. It really didn't suit my tastes at all. I was looking for something particular and thought this might be it....not.

I'm almost finished with the Kate Atkinson book and LOVE it! Talk about GREAT dark humor. I highly recommend it. Can't wait to see if there is more at the library by her!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Oooh dark humor? I'm on it! Amazon... *click* hehe.

I was an English major in college, and since I graduated a year ago, I think I've only read two book. Terrible, huh? I got so sick of having to read 3 books a week that I just snapped. I am still in the same mentality of dogearing a page as a "goal" that it just wasn't fun for awhile, haha

I've been reading "Paint it Black" by Janet Fitch, which is pretty good.

For school I had to read "The Power Book" by Jeanette Winterson.... if you can deal with a disjointed writing style, you'll probably love it.. I did! Umm "Fall on your Knees" is another good one... even though I don't like Oprah, her book recommendations are usually spot on, IMO.

I also highly recommend The Hours (I never saw the movie, but the book is wonderful). And if you're into short stories (I've read a lot because of the above problem, hehe) try out Lorrie Moore or Sherman Alexie (his novels are great too).

Thank you ladies for all the recommendations!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Oooh dark humor? I'm on it! Amazon... *click* hehe.
Seriously funny dark humor! I have laughed out loud NUMEROUS times. My kids think I'm nuts. It's a first person narrative told from the point of view of a child (starting on the day of her conception!). GREAT insight to a little kid's mind. The dark part is how horrid her family is. But so far...really great...couldn't wait to get the recommendation out there.

I have to disagree a bit on the Oprah books. I've found them a little hit and miss. Loved the books "Beloved" and "Cane River" (although I read them before she picked them) but really didn't like "The Corrections" and "Song of Solomon" at all. Those are the ones off the top of my head that stand out...but I've read others of "hers" and find that some I really like...and others...not so much.