Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7'

Red face Newbie, 2 question. 100 cal snacks and joining or not joining and success

I've only been at this for 6 weeks but there is something different this time in my attitude. I am so glad I found this site!

I count WW points but do it on my own, no joining this time because sometimes, that derails me for some odd reason.

How do you feel about the 100 calorie packs? I wasn't doing any, then I added some. The other day I noticed that I was only at 1,100 caloires but that 300 of the calories were snacks. Is this a problem and should I stop?

My favorites are the little WW cakes.

Now for my second question...

do any of you do better on your own and fail when you join a group like WW, Jenny, LA?? I am doing really well on my own and before I always joined WW and lasted about a month. I think I feel less pressure and am more successful. Does that make sense??

Thank you for any advice!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly,
I don't care for 100 calorie packs (except the smart pop popcorn) because I am trying to teach my body to eat healthier items. Teaching your body to eat smaller portions of items is a good thing and if you feel you need 100 calorie packs to help you lose weight, then use them.

I've lost my weight without following any formalized program. There are good and bad things when it comes to that. Often programs are designed to make sure you are getting the proper nutrients or eating smaller portions or what not. Its taken me 3 years to get to where I'm at right now and it has basically taken a bit of tweaking every now and then.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #3  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Having lost (and regained) about 2000 pounds in my life I've tried it both ways. I lose better when I'm doing formal programs, just because I'm more accountable. I generally go off them for money reasons, and always gain the weight back.

I buy the 100 cal pack sweet things for my grands, but don't eat them myself. I made the mistake of buying some of the baked cheeto ones once, and ate all of them in one day. So now, I don't buy anything that's one of my problem foods (which sweets are not, except for ice cream).

Your stats say you are having good success. Congratulations.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have bought them in the past, the cheese crackers & the Pringles: things I cannot be trusted around in a "normal" sized package. It was not a success for me, since one packet was not enough. Like nelie, I want to teach my body to enjoy better things, so now I have fruits & nuts for snacks, and maybe low sodium Triscuits added to the mix every now & then.

If they work for you, then by all means use & enjoy them! If not, you will find something else that works. Welcome!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't use the packs, because I would eat the entire box. 600 calories not 100. I have been on all the programs, WW,Jenny Craig, NutriSystem and I do not knock any of them BUT I have decided I am not spending another cent on having somebody tell me what to eat. Therefore I am on my own, counting calories and it is working very well for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hello and welcome to 3FC.

I don't follow anyone's plan. I've formulated my own. I count calories, eating mostly low fat proteins and tons of veggies. I needed to elminate a lot of foods. The ones I tended to overeat - bread, pasta, rice, sweets and the like. I figured if I can't control myself with them, I'm much better off without them. After a few weeks, I no longer wanted them- for the most part.

I have yet to buy the 100 calorie packs. I really like getting the most nutritional value for my calories. And then comes into play again that once I start eating "those" kinds of foods, I want more, so I am best to do without them completely. I have found other snacks that I enjoy with much more nutritional punch to them and I don't overeat them. Lowfat yogurt, baby carrots and cucumbers with a dollop of hummus. Strawberries and blueberries. I just recently found 40 calorie sugar free fudge pops, they don't have much in the way of nutrition, but I don't mind since they're only the 40 calories.

We all have to find what works for ourselves. What seems like the perfect solution to one can be a nightmare to another. I think it's important to know yourself, look for your weaknesses and do your best to combat it. There is not one across the board "right" diet plan.

Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing more from you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone! I don't abuse them but the second I do, I'll cut them out.

Nice to see that I am not the only one tired of giving $ to someone to tell me what I already know!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi HocusPocus and Welcome!

I generally avoid the 100 calorie packs. For me (and only me, everyone else is different), if I had spent 300 of my 1100 calories on snack packs, I think my nutrition would suffer, ie, am I getting sufficient fiber, protein, healthy fats in the remaining 800 calories?

If having a 100 calorie pack snack keeps someone from binging, then I think they are a good idea. When I first started losing weight, I had to change a lot of bad habits. I don't think I could have handled 1 pack of those then. I would have had more and more or would have had cravings. Initially, I just had to tell myself that I didn't eat that kind of thing anymore. That was over a year and a half ago, and I am able to eat things like that without having so many cravings now. But I still don't purchase those. I do have a 35 calorie fudgesicle that I eat usually one a day.

I have joined Weight Watchers in the past. I don't think I really worked the program like I should have. I wasn't able to keep any of the weight off long term, but I attribute that more to myself that any failure of the program. This time around, I decided that I didn't have to pay someone else for a program. I have a co-worker who jokingly says that she'd rather take that money and go eat out, I guess I feel that way too.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #9  
missaprylj

Room for one more opinion?

Welcome! As far as the 100 calorie packs go... it's not that I have a hard time controlling myself with them, it's that they're soooo expensive. It's much cheaper to buy a box of wheat thins or whatever and ration them into little baggies instead.

I am doing WW online, and this is the first time I've been OP for more than... a week (I'm currently on week 13) and actually feeling like this whole weight-loss thing is doable. I found that I used to obesess over calories, but for some reason, POINTS don't stress me out. Go figure.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #10  

Robin, we posted at the same time. Your photos are such an inspiration! My weakness is not salt or chips, it's wedding cake. So, I just can't buy any packs of wedding cake or bday cake! For my oldest college graduation party a few weeks ago, we had chocolate cake because I wasn't tempted. lol

JTammy, you are right! Buy a larger box and put them in baggies. I have them at my desk and have one thing per work day. It's helped but if I weren't so lazy, I'd think to cut up veggies. That would be just as attractive at 2pm. Your weight loss is amazing!

Apry, when I found this site, I cancelled my one week trial membership to WW online. I love the weight tracker sig thingy and the interaction. I think you are right about points. I made a points bracelet and love using that to track points during the day. I stay under 25 but could go higher and I never use the extra that you get per week.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
. It's helped but if I weren't so lazy, I'd think to cut up veggies. That would be just as attractive at 2pm.

Thanks for your help!
How about baby carrots? They're good to go straight from the bag. There are many grocery stores that sell already sliced vegetables. Maybe that would work for you. You can also a few days worth at one time. Once you get into it, you'll see it's not so bad. And you'll love the results.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #12  

Thanks! I am going to force myself to go and prepare some right now. I have cukes and carrots.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
Robin, we posted at the same time. Your photos are such an inspiration! My weakness is not salt or chips, it's wedding cake. So, I just can't buy any packs of wedding cake or bday cake! For my oldest college graduation party a few weeks ago, we had chocolate cake because I wasn't tempted. lol
!
Thank you. I'm glad you find the photos inspiring. It's so kind of you to say so.

Okay, so you KNOW your weaknesses. That's fantastic. Like I said earlier, I think that's super important. You know what you need to avoid. Believe me, it's waaay worth it to do without it.

Yay!!! for cukes and carrots. They have been a lifesaver for me. I think we need to get a dancing cucumber .
Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #14  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I don't abuse them but the second I do, I'll cut them out.
This is the road I've had to follow. And it's surprising the number of 100 calorie packs that I can control vs. the ones that I have had to eliminate. There are several out there that I can buy one month only to see that I still have them around 2 months later! I love the wheat thins with a little wedge of laughing cow cheese - I tried buying them by the box instead of the individual packs but that just didn't work.

As far as group vs indvidual plans go - in the past I've found great success with groups like WW's. I'm doing it on my own this time, but without my internet support groups to help keep me accountable I don't think I would have much success.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

I used to do the 100 cal packs all the time, but I have a hard time stopping at just one pack. I no longer use them and don't really miss them much either and for a while, it was a habit to have one (or two, or three) a day. I have it in my head that they are empty calories and I'd much rather eat different, more nutritious snacks that fill me up WAY more. WAY more!
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote