Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Karen,

I agree that there are some drawbacks of losing quickly. I do have gallstones now and if I eat something that is high in fat, the gallstones start moving out of the gallbladder and that is so painful. I haven't had any trouble since I've regulated how much fat I eat but I know others who have lost weight quickly have had worst complications with their gall bladder.

Also, if you lose quickly you will probably notice more loose skin than someone who hasn't. The loose skin will tighten up a bit over time but when you lose quickly, it doesn't have too much of a chance and it appears to be more noticeable.

The other reason I think of being cautious of losing quickly is weight loss and weight maintenance takes a lot of patience. If you lose quickly, get to your goal and then think, what do I strive for now? The scale isn't moving anymore but I still have to continue eating like this. How do I deal with my new body without gaining the weight back? I think it becomes largely a mental struggle at that point and some deal with it well while others may not.

Last edited by nelie; 04-08-2007 at 09:33 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #32  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantforgetthis View Post
By the way, I have to say i'm always blown away when I look at what "Rockin" has been doing!
Thank you so much Karen. I must tell you though, I'm pretty blown away by what you've been doing as well and so many other of the incredible women around here. I feel truly blessed to be able to share in everyone's weightloss experiences here at 3FC and to be able to be so open about my own journey and get such wonderful, postive feedback and possibly help others as well.

I just want to repeat something again, because I don't think it can be repeated enough times. We all have to find what works for ourselves. We should not be comparing ourselves to one another. Sure we have so very much in common and can relate to one another on sooo many different levels. We have all at one time or another been morbidly obese and experienced so many of the same things. . But we all work differently. Our bodies all respond differently. We're different ages, and have had different experiences. We all have different resources and situations. And different mindframes. Therefore, naturally our journeys will all be different. Please I urge you to not worry about speed. When you change your lifestyle for the better, weightloss will occur. Some people change everything all at once, some more slowly. Whatever works best for you. Just find something and stick to it. And don't let those bad meals/days throw you for a loop. There really is room for error here. It's bound to occur in fact. Most importantly - don't ever give up. Ever. Ever. It's just too important. You're just too important. You deserve this.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #33  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantforgetthis View Post
Today i'm losing at about 1/2 pound a week and that's fine. I actually feel like my mind has to "catch up" with my body.
I'm right with you and wyllen. When you're looking at having to lose a large amount of weight, it is difficult to continue full force indefinitely. After a year and a half, I HAD to take a maintenance break which started about 3 weeks ago, (and I've lost three lbs since then ). My mind needed a break, as well as my body. Both mind and body needed some time to relax and catch up.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Nelie, my post took a long time to type and we therefore posted at the same time.

Losing weight "too quickly" is really all relative. Who is to say what IS "too quickly"? When your life is in danger, is there really such a thing as "too quickly?

As far as loose skin goes, there is absolutely no way on earth to know for sure just who will have the loose skin and who won't. There is absolutely no way to know for sure if the pace of weightloss would have made any difference whatsoever.

When I get to goal, what do I strive for? Hmmm, let's see - STAYING THERE. Maintaining the life I have carved out for myself. The utter pleasure and joy of knowing that I've done THE most important thing I could possibly do for myself. Waking up each and every day to a fitter, healthier, more active body. The wonderful "Feel" of being "small". The excitement of having a wardrobe full of clothes that I want to make sure fit me forever and ever. My children's delightful hugs and then them saying "Mommy, you're sooo small" "We're so proud of you". My husband beaming when he looks at me. And on and on and on. So, yes I think there will be much to strive for when I get to goal. The same as everyone else. Getting there faster will somehow make this more difficult????? I kinda don't get that. Not even a little bit. But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #35  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Robin,

I agree that there are definite benefits to losing weight fast. If your health is in danger, you are getting out of the danger zone. I just wanted to post about a couple of the possible drawbacks.

As with loose skin, I was trying to portray that loose skin is more visible in general when you lose faster and it can sometimes be demotivating. Our skin can tighten up a bit but it does take time. So say if you lost 100 lbs in 5 months or 5 years. The person who lost it in 5 years probably wouldn't notice much loose skin (depending on genetics and all) especially immediately. The person who lost it in 5 months would probably notice it a lot more. Although at the end of 5 years, the same person would probably have the same skin tightness. I wasn't trying to say losing quickly makes more loose skin but rather losing quickly generally doesn't enable your skin to catch up with your weight loss so it can appear as if you have more loose skin.

For me, loose skin was very demoralizing when I lost a lot of weight quickly. After 2 years, it has tightened up quite a bit from where it was. It took time though.

I'm not really trying to say getting to goal will make things more difficult but I think we each have our own battles to face. Some people view weight loss as a single event rather than a lifelong one.

Also I wasn't trying to say there is a measure of losing too much too fast because there isn't. Just there may be some experiences those that lose quickly would encounter as opposed to those that move at a slower pace.

Last edited by nelie; 04-08-2007 at 12:37 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #36  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm pretty blown away by what you've been doing as well and so many other of the incredible women around here. I feel truly blessed to be able to share in everyone's weightloss experiences here at 3FC and to be able to be so open about my own journey and get such wonderful, postive feedback and possibly help others as well.

I want to reiterate this as well. There are SOOOOO many people on here that inspire! But who could name them all??? The only reason that I mentioned Rockin is because she seems to be, uhh...what shall I say...so "prolific"? She seems to be EVERYWHERE I go on here and frankly, she wears me out!
Woman, I don't know how you do it!

Nelie -- I agree on the skin, as well as the mental state. The last time I lost so much weight 120 pounds, I couldn't deal with it. Before and while I was doing it, I had the impression that everything would be great and all my problems would be gone. (Note: WAAYY before my education on 3FC). Well....NOT. I felt cheated, where were all the good feelings, where was the great life I was supposed to have? My mind still saw the fat body and of course all the skin didn't help. Losing weight can change your life, but not always, it isn't a panacea for all life's problems, especially if there is a lot to lose. We have to be ready for that and i'm sure that's where a lot of people run into trouble.

Have a great Easter if you celebrate it!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantforgetthis
The last time I lost so much weight 120 pounds, I couldn't deal with it. Before and while I was doing it, I had the impression that everything would be great and all my problems would be gone. (Note: WAAYY before my education on 3FC). Well....NOT. I felt cheated, where were all the good feelings, where was the great life I was supposed to have?
I think this is an important point to emphasize, especially for the many people who have a lot of weight to lose.

We sometimes discuss Onederland as if it is Wonderland -- a place where everything is wonderful and all our problems go away. It can be quite a blow to realize that life continues with all its baggage.

That's not to say my life hasn't changed enormously from when I weighed 295 pounds. It IS very different and completely worth the many changes in my life. But there are still many struggles and problems, and my life did not become a Disney movie (too bad, because I could use more dancing brooms and singing animals! )
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote