3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Does anyone actually count down the days until they get to goal? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/108933-does-anyone-actually-count-down-days-until-they-get-goal.html)

Dawn2Dusk 04-03-2007 06:16 PM

Does anyone actually count down the days until they get to goal?

I have this habit. I actually take a calendar, and at the end of the week (usually my weigh-in day) I write down the number of lbs I'll lose if I keep at my plan. I do not go more than 2lbs per week. Then if I lose more, I readjust my calendar and the days to my goal become smaller.

I know some might argue that it's kind of setting myself up for failure. Like I'm putting too much expectations on myself. But it's actually fun. And I feel it makes me want to stick to my plan and not go nuts on binging.

So... does anyone else do that?

Dawn2Dusk 04-03-2007 06:18 PM

Also, I feel it helps for some reason if I look at the day as my goal rather than my own weight on the scale. A little screwy, isn't it?

Penney 04-03-2007 08:41 PM

I don't think it sounds screwy at all - I have done something similiar in the past - figuring out how long it would take me to lose X amount of weight. Now I just need to get my body to work with plans.

Sounds to me like you have your eye on the target and you are not looking back. You have a lot of control over your weight loss efforts.

Actually - I think it sounds pretty cool!

Dawn2Dusk 04-03-2007 08:42 PM

I didn't in the past but I feel as if things are changing now. :)

adaem 04-03-2007 08:47 PM

Thats pretty neat! I just might have to steal that idea from you!

SexyRevealed 04-03-2007 09:10 PM

I do. I weigh daily, and I track my daily, weekly, and monthly weights. Sounds a bit obsessive now that I think about it, but it's in a nice little spreadsheet with graphs and charts. It's actually motivating looking at the downward trend and seeing where I'm at with regards to my goals. So no, I don't think you're weird. ;)

kaplods 04-03-2007 09:22 PM

I used to do that alot but I would get really discouraged if I got "behind schedule."

It worked really well for quite a while. I think my mistake was in not inventing a new game at the point it became discouraging. It wasn't that the strategy was a bad one, just that I wasn't flexible enough to switch to something new when it stopped being fun.

I still like creating games for myself, to make the dieting and exercise fun. The longest running game is my sticker chart for weight loss. Twenty boxes per page. One box for each pound, and when I lose that pound I put a sticker in the box, and at the bottom of each page I have a space to put the reward I'm choosing for filling the page. So I reward myself every 20 lbs.

I also do mini-sticker charts periodically for things like drinking my water, or exercising, whatever I'm having trouble finding motivation for.

I joined a yahoo group for people interested in fun-dieting, but it's not a very active group. Maybe we can start a thread here. Keeping it fun and interesting really does help me keep on track.

Penney 04-03-2007 09:35 PM

Colleen -

I think a thread like that sounds great.... I am always looking for different ways to motivate me..........

Dawn - Houston has some great things there - but to live, I honestly would chose San Antonio over Houston......

Dawn2Dusk 04-03-2007 09:51 PM

I think I'm gonna graph my results as well. :D Make a downward sloping line for my 2 lb per week loss and another line for my ACTUAL weight loss per week. It would be so motivating to compare those two :D

I second Colleen's suggestions. Something that's fun and actually shows our progress in a fun way.

kaplods 04-03-2007 09:59 PM

My inspiration for my charts was from a post a while back. Someone posted a blog of a friend who made a similar chart for 100 lbs that she posted at work (now that takes guts), and every pound was "sponsored by a coworker, friend, or family member." Each sponsor made a promise to reward the woman in some way when she reached "their pound." I thought that was such a terrific idea, but I haven't been able to find that post again. I wish I had saved that link. Anyone remember it?

kaplods 04-03-2007 10:05 PM

Omagosh, I can't believe I found it. I googled a bit (which didn't work the last time I tried to find the blog) and not only found the blog, but that the woman had recently been on the rachel ray show cool, huh

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/?q=spo...ht-loss-pamela

http://www.vegetablestastelikedirt.com/

So fun!

LitChick 04-03-2007 11:32 PM

That's a pretty cool idea - I wouldn't have the guts to post something like that at my job, though! Anyone else think that RR could have coughed up more than $1K for clothes shopping? :D

I think creating fun projects as a way of tracking our progress is a wonderful idea! I think I'll steal that sticker one and put something up on my fridge - one sticker for every pound or something like that. Perhaps that will help when I go to the kitchen for some late night snacking!

Cheryl14 04-04-2007 07:34 AM

I have the PC version of Fitday. It keeps track of my goal weight and there's a red line denoting where I am at any given day along the way. It is a challenge for me to stay on or below the red line. It also tells me how much I need to lose each week to get to my goal by the time I selected. It also tells me how many days until my target goal date.

I'm glad that I got the PC version of Fitday because it has helped me to keep track of my efforts AND makes it easier to know at a glance how I am doing.

I LOVE the idea of making a thread for "games" to inspire and encourage. I'm always looking for mew ways to keep up my interest and can use more incentives!

Cheryl

LisaMarie71 04-04-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk (Post 1638604)
I think I'm gonna graph my results as well. :D Make a downward sloping line for my 2 lb per week loss and another line for my ACTUAL weight loss per week. It would be so motivating to compare those two :D

That's exactly what I did at the beginning of this, and I LOVE that chart. I key in my weight every Tuesday morning and it plots the point on the line graph for me. I remember what that chart looked like at the beginning -- it seemed like SO far to go, and now I'm most of the way there. I'm all for charts and graphs and anything that's motivating. I also log all my runs on a website called runningahead.com and it tallies my daily, weekly, and monthly mileage. Good stuff.

RitzyFritz 04-04-2007 11:21 AM

Oh, yes...I do this! I am constantly using the calendar to figure where I can be by certain dates. In fact, this is basically how I pace myself. I think it helps to not just focus on the scale number because then it gives you a little motivation to stay on plan each day so that by such-and-such date you will be such-and-such weight. :smug:

Here's wishing us all continued success!!