My worst day (nutritionally speaking)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I was aware that yesterday was a crazy day and that my calories/fat would look terrible in FitDay, but boy howdy did it REALLY look bad!! It was almost double what I allow for my calories and more than double what I allow for fat on "normal" days! And guess what? All was fine until I went to Golden Corral and had 1 cup of their steamed carrots (which unfortunately had butter in them) and some of their sugar-free desserts (which are TERRIBLE in calories and fat - according to their web site)!! Their ranch dressing is also terrible in nutritional facts. And the deal is...I ate very little because we were under a tornado warning and had one touch down just down the street from where we were eating. Needless to say, I had very little to eat because I was sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to run to the back of the restaurant! WOW..............I cannot wait to "right the wagon" and get back to my good eats. I know it is just one day, and it WON'T derail me at all, but it is really an eye opener when one starts counting the calories and fat of their food intake! How did I ever live this way before - on a daily basis at that!?

Thanks for "listening." I just had such regret when I put all this stuff into FitDay just now, but I DON'T have a feeling of despair. I know I have what it takes to lose, and one day won't get me off track...but I just had to post this because it was bugging me so much how foods can be SO extremely unhealthy - and to think I used to live this way DAILY.

Everyone have a blessed, on-plan weekend!
  • Well you're 150% right. One bad day does not spoil a great plan and the great job that you're doing. Not even a little bit. I know that you know they are bound to happen from time to time. And I am so glad you're not beating yourself up over it. Because we all know that's just pointless.

It amazes me just how badly we feel after we veer off track a little. Just amazes me, because like you said in the past this is how we ate all the time. And quite frankly for me it was way, way, way worse then that. I haven't a clue to just how many calories I was consuming in the not so old days. Several thousand I am sure. How in the past did I not give it a second thought and now it's like "OMG, the absolute horror, how could I have done this?" It is just a wonder to me how easy it is to really and truly reprogram the brain. What once was an every day occurence and ACCEPTABLE, is now a rarity or totally out of the question and totally and completely UNacceptable.

Getting back to the restaurant aspect - isn't it shocking that they would put butter on a poor unsuspecting carrot? Yuck. Oh and those sugar free desserts, they just load those up with extra fat.

Anyway Ritzy - here's to better days. I know for sure you've got lots and lots of them in your future. Most of um' in fact. (And I'm real proud of you, you're doing fantastic. Yes on the scale, but most definitely in the all important *head*).
  • Ritzy - By golly, I think we've GOT it! You saw what it was you did, and you got right back on track and moved on. GREAT JOB! As Robin said, getting our heads on right about how to do this is the big deal, and YOU are doing it! It is that stuff that is going to guarantee we get to our goals this time - {{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you, and you have a great weekend!
  • Great attitude, Ritzy! It's so good to hear you say that!!

Restaurants are tough. I especially try to avoid Golden Corral, which makes my kids whine. (Too bad, kiddos!!)
    Fortunately, we don't go out very often because it is often easier to just go home and eat so that we can care for our animals (mini ranch). Time is very precious to my family because we have so little of it free!! The unfortunate side of that is when we do want to go out, fast food or pizza usually makes more timely sense. Boy, there is not a lot of choice there when you're trying to make healthy changes!!
  • Ritzy, I had a bad day yesterday too. We went to an early morning funeral (the police officer shot in line of duty in Ft. Smith, thought you may have heard about it since you are also from OK). Had lunch out and was doing OK. Then went to Braum's - not OK and the day just went downhill from there. You inspired me to go ahead and put my cal's in Fitday and fess up to what my eating really was for the day. I came in at 2400 cal's. I have been eating 1400 daily , so I was WAY off. Hugs, I'm right there with you on getting back on track today.

BTW, I've also been known to fall for those Sugar-Free desserts at golden corral. I got carrots the other day at Fire Mountain and one bite told me they had butter and some type of sugar on them.
  • I had a similar day like that on Monday... all was going great until two small slices of pizza from Pizzeria Uno. And, I wound up using basically ALL of my points/flex points (WW) on that one meal. I was really, really really upset. But, instead of saying "to heck with it" I had a healthy dinner and STILL went to work out. We can do this!!!

Good job getting back on track, everyone.
  • Hi Everyone!

It's wonderful to read that we're all getting better about not beating ourselves up for a slip. That shows we're making GREAT progress toward a LIFETIME of healthier living!! Congrats, all!

Cheryl
  • The thing thats hard for me is I work in a Card/Gift Hall**rk store and we have a candy case. So all of us are snacking on it throughout the day and it ads up. I've been trying my best to be good though.
  • Well, I guess this thread just shows that we ALL have those not-too-great days, but as has been mentioned here, our REACTION to those days is what matters most! I'm sorry for those who had a bad day, but I'm really glad that you all talked about it; it helped me to know that I'm "normal" and this is just a slight detour. We are doing it! Thanks for all the encouraging words, and here's to you all to keep on keeping on!

It is April 1st tomorrow! It seems like it was JUST January 3rd (the day I started this new lifestyle) only yesterday! So....with the days going by this swiftly, we will be reaching our goals in no time at all. I cannot wait to look back in 3 more months and see where I am then!
  • Quote: Anyway Ritzy - here's to better days. I know for sure you've got lots and lots of them in your future. Most of um' in fact. (And I'm real proud of you, you're doing fantastic. Yes on the scale, but most definitely in the all important *head*).
    Quote: {{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you, and you have a great weekend!
    Thanks, Robin and Mrs Quadcrew! Those made my day!
  • Quote: Great attitude, Ritzy! It's so good to hear you say that!!

Restaurants are tough. I especially try to avoid Golden Corral, which makes my kids whine. (Too bad, kiddos!!)
    Fortunately, we don't go out very often because it is often easier to just go home and eat so that we can care for our animals (mini ranch). Time is very precious to my family because we have so little of it free!! The unfortunate side of that is when we do want to go out, fast food or pizza usually makes more timely sense. Boy, there is not a lot of choice there when you're trying to make healthy changes!!
    Slashnl: Thanks for the pat on the back! That goes a long way!! I don't care to go out to eat because of my lack of control of how things are prepared. However, our crazy schedule usually ends up putting us at a table somewhere around town that isn't our own. At least at our Golden Corral they have steamed veggies and actually have a tag on the buffet showing how many calories is in a serving! They have a little "heart healthy" indicator on items that are "diet friendly" and this really helps. Other than those items, I pretty much stick to the salad bar only. My hubby and kids like all the other stuff, but I just stay away from it. I guess it was my nerves on edge with the bad storm that caused me to go for the desserts....should have known better BUT....on to better and brighter days!
  • Quote: Ritzy, I had a bad day yesterday too. We went to an early morning funeral (the police officer shot in line of duty in Ft. Smith, thought you may have heard about it since you are also from OK). Had lunch out and was doing OK. Then went to Braum's - not OK and the day just went downhill from there. You inspired me to go ahead and put my cal's in Fitday and fess up to what my eating really was for the day. I came in at 2400 cal's. I have been eating 1400 daily , so I was WAY off. Hugs, I'm right there with you on getting back on track today.

BTW, I've also been known to fall for those Sugar-Free desserts at golden corral. I got carrots the other day at Fire Mountain and one bite told me they had butter and some type of sugar on them.
    I'm sorry to hear about the police officer! I didn't hear about it, though I'm surprised that I didn't! I'm also sorry to hear about your bad day but glad you went ahead and did the recording. That kind of helps keep it in perspective, doesn't it? I'm glad I'm not the only one who has fallen for the GC SF desserts! LOL!! I'm sure you were able to get back on track right away. You have had tremendous results, and you are an inspiration to us all!!
  • Ritz...I had one of those "day"s last night! We were going to an egg-coloring party/cookout at a friend's house. I had planned all day for it but something went wrong and I went off that plan. I didn't go "crazy" but I didn't do what I had hoped I would do. Logged everything when I got home and was nearly at 2000. That makes me so sad! Especially since my scale isn't moving much this week (I'm thinking I'm holding some weight because TOM comes this week...I'm hoping that's it!). However, I got up this morning, got on my elliptical, ate my on-plan breakfast, and am ready for a new week!

Holy week blessings to all!
  • Tricia: I'm sorry you had a bad night, but I know you have what it takes to get back on track. In a culture where food is all around us, and many times not in the real healthy variety, I think we are doing great! Keep up the good work....it will pay off in the end.
  • I had a restaurant shock yesterday. Usually, I'm pretty good about this stuff but I told DH to get whatever sandwich at Panera he wanted (without mayo) and we'd split it. He got a Sierra Turkey sandwich. This morning, I looked it up. 950 calories... Luckily, we split it so our share was only 425 calories. Imagine though someone going to Panera and getting that sandwich, a bag of chips and a soda. Might as well go to Burger King and get a double whopper with cheese which is 990 calories. Oh well, live and learn. I told DH and he said he'll never order that sandwich again.