Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #16  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie76 View Post
I absolutely love the movie the Commitments-anyone else? It cracks me up, I love the musical performances....I bought both soundtrack cds and play them constantly.
I loved The Commitments! I still have the soundtrack that I bought about a dozen years ago - in fact, it's in my car stereo right now!

I was pissed about the CoF ending, too. Typical Hollywood, just had to give it a 'happy' ending.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #17  
For my HEALTH...

Thumbs up OverWeight young woman increases her self-esteem

There was a TV-movie on quite a few years ago that they repeat every once in a while on cable. It was called "BabyCakes" with Ricki Lake. Ricki played an overweight young woman (with very low self-esteem) who works at a funeral home applying makeup on corpses. She figures that working in the back room where no one can see her is the best kind of job for her. During the course of the movie (several tribulations and learning experiences and starting to emerge from her shell) she manages to start to slowly increase her self-esteem. She starts to dress more stylishly and uses her gift for make-up application to apply to Beauty School. She decides it's time to come out of that back room of the funeral home and hopefully wind up in a Beauty Salon soon. Through sheer determination and hard won self-esteem and a quirky endearing personality and new-found style, she also wins over the hunky guy she had been dreaming about from afar. It is a off-beat quirky -ultimately happy and hopefull little movie with really good upbeat soundtrack music.

Edit: I haven't figured out how to do that whole "link" thing but I just noticed the "Babycakes" DVD is on sale at the Amazon website. I also just noticed the saying they have on the cover of the DVD = "Love doesn't come in Sizes" It looks like it was made in 1989. Ricki was very young in the movie. The Reviewers on Amazon give it 4 1/2 stars.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

BTW it's not a movie, but I feel that the TV Show "Ugly Betty" belongs in this thread too ! It makes me feel upbeat and inspired and it is funny & outrageous too. --Pookie

Last edited by POOKIE88; 03-29-2007 at 12:58 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 AM   #18  
Pending Email Confirmation

i loved Igby goes down. I went on a Kieran Culkin kick and watched all his movies. I love him.

movies that make me feel better Bridget Jone's Diary, Elizabethtown... and number one when I want to feel better... Harold and Maude.
"go love some more.." sigh. I need to dust that off and watch it again.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 274/270/230

Height: 5 foot 3

Thumbs up Cool Titles

You guys have a bunch of movies I love to watch. I love Shirley Valentine, I can't find a copy of it anywhere if any one has an Idea please let me know.

I also love Under the tuscan sun I have the movie poster framed in my office. The big sunflowers make me smile.

Another one people may not know is A Year in Provance it is 4 tapes and it's about what it says giving up their life and spending a year in provance. It goes through the 4 seasons and it is truly inspirational about starting over.

Keep the suggestions coming I love watching movies while on the tredmill I eventually get through them and help me do it because I want to find out what happens he he.
Inspire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:33 AM   #20  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

I watched a movie last night that is not particularly inspiring, but it´s fun and upbeat... it´s called the first wives club...

Liziness, I dated a guy last year that told me a couple times the movie Elizabethtown reminded him of me ... I don´t know why I didn´t see it yet, will definately try to get to it this weekend !
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 250/233/137

Height: 5'6"

I can't believe how many of you put "the mirror has two faces", I also love that movie but no one else I know has even seen it!

I also like In Her Shoes - especially as I am a lawyer with a much cuter (although much nicer!) younger sister and so I like to think that she could be me.

And Pookie, I agree, Ugly Betty should be in this thread too, even if it isn't a movie.
Lillibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #22  
No description available.

Last night I watched Rocky Balboa and I found it as uplifting as the first one. There is a speech he gives his son that I am going to watch again.

Also, Mystery Alaska! Love it for soooo many reasons. Master and Commander as well, for its scope and vastness.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #23  

Thought of another one last night - can't believe I forgot it!

"Bend It Like Beckham"
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #24  

Inspire Me this is for you (and me, too, since I've been looking for it for ages, too!)

http://www.amazon.com/Shirley-Valent...5181377&sr=8-1

And only $9.99!! Pre-order here I come, LOL!!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #25  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Lizziness – Definitely Harold and Maude.

Midwife – I am also a Master and Commander fan, mostly from the books. I Jack and Stephen.

My contribution is Shall We Dance – the Japanese version. It is such a sweet movie about finding passion in life.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 297/267/150

Height: 5'7"

The Commitments is one of my favorite movies too. The soundtrack is even better -- I even have 2 of Andrew Strong's (the lead singer (who, trivia buffs, was 16 at the time of filming) solo album.

I just bought the book "Barrytown Triliogy" by Roddy Doyle, which the movie is based off of one of the stories.

Make me feel better movies? I dunno, probably the Princess Bride, or Labyrinth. They just take me back to my childhood. I love Maverick with Mel Gibson. Bridget Jones is definitely a great one. "That was it. Right there. That was the moment. I suddenly realized that unless something changed soon... And so I made a major decision… I decided to take control of my life." And I love Gladiator and Braveheart. Even though they are sad at the end, I feel like I can accomplish anything.

I generally turn to music when it comes to inspiration though.
reds ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #27  

Stacey,

When did Andrew Strong's solo cd some out? I had heard about it, but could never find it! In 1993, my husband and I went to London for our honeymoon. Andrew Strong was supposed to have a concert in London while we were there, but it was canceled.

Maria Doyle was in a band with her husband called Black Velvet Band, but she only sang background vocals-what a waste!

I bought the Deluxe version of the DVD that was released one or two years ago-it comes with an extra dvd that has updates on the cast members and behind the scenes about the filiming.

Oh, and the show "In Concert" that used to be on ABC late Friday nights has a "commitments in concert special that was an hour. I'd better tranfer my vhs of it to dvd before the tape falls apart!

There is a second sountrack cd, just called Commitments 2-I don't know if it's still in print, though.

What other music do you like? Not to take over the thread, but I could discuss music endlessly...one of my favorite bands is the Irish band Hothouse Flowers. They're playing in PA next month-I hope to go see them.

Sherry

I also love bend it like beckham as well.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #28  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Oooh. Loads of mine have alread been mentioned

Shirley Valentine
Circle of Friends
The Commitments
The Princess Bride
Under the Tuscan Sun

My favourtie, favourite would probably have to be It's a Wonderful Life. I know, I know - the ultimate in schmaltz but i can't help it

Never heard of the mirror has two faces. What's the plot?
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote