3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   As a flight attendant.. I NEED help ASAP.. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/108309-flight-attendant-i-need-help-asap.html)

southernleftylady 03-27-2007 04:01 PM

As a flight attendant.. I NEED help ASAP..

Ok it is SO hard for me to eat healthy when I am flying... I need some ideas for some snacks and tips on how NOT to be hungry all the time...
any ideas ladies??
any constant travelers with me?
(p.s yall will soon relize that I am a HORRIABLE speller and my computer doesnt do well with new downloads so I cant download the spell check... sorry.... but I thought I would give yall a heads up ;) )

sugarlove 03-27-2007 04:16 PM

What kinds of flights do you do - long haul or short haul? :)

If short haul, I would make sure to eat a healthy, filling meal before you leave...in the morning, something like steel cut oats with fruit and yogurt would keep you going for a long time. For lunch or dinner, something like a stir-fry with about 3 oz. of chicken breast and LOADS of veggies over some rice (like 1 cup) would be super filling, and the taste is satisfying too. If you get a solid meal in before you fly, it will make it a lot easier to get by with some quick snacks.

Snacks will be more satisfying if you can mix some protein with your carbs. You could cut up an apple, spread each slice with a little peanut butter, then kind of reassemble it and wrap it up - that way you could just grab a slice or two quickly when you need a bite. Cheese strings and some kind of nuts (almonds, walnuts) are great - you only need about 1/4 cup of the nuts to get some decent protein, and they're easy to munch quickly.

My son is diabetic, so we always have to have a snack bag with us when we travel - we do the above snacks a lot as they don't need refrigeration and aren't messy to travel with. I'm not a big fan of nutrition bars, but that could also be another option for you - something like a Luna bar can be quite filling and not too bad calorie-wise, and they certainly travel well.

southernleftylady 03-27-2007 04:19 PM

great ideas!
sometimes im away from my home for 3 to 4 days.. so thats when it gets hard :(

sugarlove 03-27-2007 04:26 PM

Ahh - definitely! :)

When I travel, I almost always hit a local grocery store once I arrive - it started for my son's benefit, but I quickly realized it was a benefit for me, too. I typically buy bottled water, some fruit like apples, oranges or bananas, a few yogurts, etc. Things that can keep easily in the mini fridges in hotel rooms (I always ask them to empty the fridge for me). Even if the fridges don't typically come with the room, you can always request one - we have to do this for my son's insulin, and it's never been a problem to get one if we ask. Shopping locally makes it MUCH easier to cut down on restaurant food - we've even bought sliced chicken breast and whole wheat buns before, and just made up little sandwiches in the room. Add in a yogurt and a piece of fruit, and you're good to go.

Non-perishable snacks like the cheese strings, nuts, bars, etc. can be packed in larger quantities in your case so you always have some of those on hand, too.

And don't forget that it IS possible to make good choices when you eat out. It will never be as perfect as cooking at home, but even fast food places have salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, apple slices instead of fries, etc. With some planning and dedication, you should be able to do well. :)

royalsfan1 03-27-2007 04:39 PM

I used to travel a TON with my job before I became a SAHM. Back then, calories and cholesterol weren't that big of a deal to me and I found that my favorite and most filling travel snack was a hard boiled egg. Sounds wierd, I know, but it always seemed to just keep me going. I always REFUSED to pay airport prices for food or drink....so during layovers I'd eat my egg and a piece of fruit and be perfectly content until I could get somewhere for a decent priced meal. String cheese was another favorite of mine.

maryblu 03-27-2007 06:26 PM

your own snack/trail mix

here is my contribution to your effort......ziplock bags with some Kashi Go Lean cereal and some almonds, and a few dried cranberries or raisins. The almonds as are really recommended by Dr. Oz and Roisen of You on a Diet. It tastes good, too.

melsfolly 03-27-2007 07:17 PM

When I used to travel I always made a stop at a local grocery store to pick up some fresh fruits and if my hotel room had a refrigerator (it didn't happen often) I would buy real food that didn't require an oven. But I always took some of the individual packs of tuna, raisins, almonds, instant oatmeal packs, animal crackers (in case I got a sweet tooth) and protein bars.