Can anyone help me with my schedule and exercise?

• I am having difficulty with planning out my exercise. I have a short window and not sure how to balance house duties a husband, work, my dog & ME. The following is my schedule any suggestions would be great.

Sunday off - no problem just motivation
    Monday leave house 7:30 home 6pm
    Tuesday leave house 8:15 home 6 pm
    Wednesday leave house 7:15 home 6 pm
    Thursday leave house 10:00 home 5pm (this day not so bad I can do my treadmill in the morning and walk dog after work)
    Friday off for now can work out
    Saturday off - no problem just motivation

Okay now I am toast by 9:30-10pm and go to sleep. I often think of exercising late but have heard that going right to bed after defeats the act. My morning routine is approx 1 hour so add that to the mornings. I tried getting up @ 5 or 6 am and just felt nauseated and couldn't last the day feeling tired more hungry and ill and very cranky towards my clients. I also cook supper clean up get ready for the next day and I have to fit in cleaning and walking the dog and spend a little time with the hubby. I know I should take some time for me but how do you balance all these duties. I can't even imagine you ladies who have kids and still fit it in.

Please talk to me and give me suggestions. Thanks so much Jenn
  • I am also struggling to fit in exercise as I start work at 9 and when we have a deal on often work past midnight, so I've reclaimed my lunch hour (which I've always spent at my desk) and started to use it to go to the gym. I'm going to have to do cardio one day and weights the next to fit it in but I think it might be the only way, I can then do a longer workout on Saturday and Sunday.

Would your schedule allow you to go either during lunch or immediately afterwork without going home first? That way you could maybe do a workout on Friday and Saturday, or Friday and Sunday and then another on Thursday either before or after work plus another workout at some point in the week. Also, if you are going to be walking the dog could you extend that and include some hills etc so that becomes a workout? Maybe your husband could join you walking the dog so you get to spend a little extra time together?

Good luck fitting it all in!
  • I know it's a very hard thing to hear but I find that morning BECOMES easiest. It may start out very difficult but it has been my experience that I just pushed through the tiredness and the crankiness that I initially felt and after a couple of weeks I was feeling that way if I DIDN'T exercise right away. I have been getting up at 5:00 and doing an elliptical workout every morning since January 21. I KNOW exactly how you're feeling....in fact, I started weighing just about what you do....so I really do know how you're feeling and I seriously empathize. I hope this helps a little.
  • That is a myth that exercising before bed defeats the purpose! Any time you can exercise is a great time.

I am very busy like you. Work FT with 1 hour commute, go to school PT, DH & son, new puppy, etc... I exercise at night when I get home. I'm not a morning person. I've tried getting up an extra hour early, but it's just not for me. So when I get home from work, I exercise. Then I tend to the needs of everyone else. DH usually cooks dinner so that's not a problem.

You just have to claim your time and use it. You deserve it!
  • Just a little thought here....is it possible to take DH and dog on a walk with you? This is at least "killing two birds with one stone." I agree with the others...it is something that we just have to make fit. I have also heard my pastor say recently "We all really make time for things we WANT to do." So, maybe (if you are like I was just a few weeks ago) you just have to re-prioritize some things in your mind to make this more important than some other things that may be taking up your time. I know really well what you mean by being so busy and an over-extended schedule, but I have found that if I just MAKE myself do it every day, the schedule tends to re-shape and starts to conform to allow my workout. I am confident you can make it happen! I wish I had a magic wand for us all, but alas, WE are the magic wand. I keep reminding myself "If it is to be, it is up to me."

Another thing...could you get up just 15 minutes early and get in 15 minutes then and then maybe do 15 minutes as soon as you come in the door in the evening? I have read many times of late that it does not have to be 30 continuous minutes to have an impact on your health/weight. If you can do this much, maybe by the time you get in a routine your schedule will open up a bit to allow you to increase those times to 20 minutes each, etc.

Take care and keep us posted on how you work it out!
  • I agree with the others. You simply must make it a priority. Like brushing your teeth and showering. You wouldn't dream of doing without those things. That is how exercise is to be looked at if you want to have longterm success losing the weight and then maintaining it. There really is no way around it. You can either do it first thing in the morning, get it out of the way or in the evenings or mix it up. I also think it's important to mix it up a bit, try to keep in as interesting as possible. Walking, biking, dancing, exercise DVD's.

I tried to lose weight many, many times in the past without exercise and I was very unsuccessful. Not only does it burn mucho calories and make everything look and feel better, it just changes your mindset. It's something a fit, healthy person does. If you start thinking like a healthy person and then doing the things a healthy person does ......... you become that healthy person. Make the time, you are worth the extra effort.
  • Robin has a great idea about taking DH on the walk with you. Plus, it's nice to have a "buddy" if he'll go along with it.

It is indeed a myth that exercise is ineffective before bed. As a general rule, I go to the gym from 8-9:15 p.m., I just CANNOT move in the morning and I'd never stick with exercising if I had to do it just in the a.m. Do whatever works for you.

About Saturday, the motivation: I find it very helpful to do it as soon as I wake up, or after I eat breakfast and lounge for a bit (but not too long! ) That way, you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want and "uggggh I have to exercise" isn't hanging over your head.

Good luck!
  • Our schedules are very similar - I work 8:00 - 6:00pm every day. I go to the gym right after work. Home by 7:30, dinner on the table by 8, eat and clean up from 8-9:30, relax 9:30-10, and in bed by 10 or 10:30. The key is coming up with meals that can be prepped the night before and cooked in less than 30 minutes. No, you don't get a TON of downtime...but there is still that 30 min relax window, and most times I don't need me entire 1 hour and 30 minute clean/get stuff done time slot. It IS possible!

I also very often reclaim my lunch hour for exercise.
  • I also out of the house by 6:45 and get home at 4:45. This spring I am going to make walking the dog, my exercise (in addition to water aerobics 2 x a week). I plan to walk him with Jacob right when I get home and then again when Jacob goes to bed. You don't have tro exercise all at once. Maybe 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins when you get home.

It's all about changing our habits. You can do more than you ever thought possible.