white bread or plywood?

• I'm looking for a decent whole grain bread. I feel like I keep standing there in bread row with no idea of what to get. I know less refined flour, corn syrup, etc. But it would be good to just go in, grab, and get out of there before the italian bread picks a fight with me.

Any suggestions?
  • awww . this post made me giggle. I feel the same way when it comes to bread. I'm so used to looking for the cheapest brown bread that it's prob. a phony whole wheat.
  • The bread isle can be so confusing, I also like to just get in, pick one, and get out! I'm sure it's not the best choice, but the Wonder Light Wheat tastes pretty good and it's only 1 WW point for two slices. If you're in a hurry or intimidated in the bread isle you could grab that until you have time to do more research! Good luck!
  • I'm personally a really big fan of Nature's Own breads. I've been buying their Honey Wheat bread. Good stuff.
  • I'm not sure where you live, but aroud here, my favorite bread by far is by Nature's Own. I LOVE it--it's always soft (unlike many other healthier breads), and it holds up well (some lower-calorie breads are so airy they fall apart when you try to spread mayo on them, let alone peanut butter ). They make a 100% whole wheat bread and a 100% whole grain bread with no sugar added. Their ingredients are all natural, so never any HFCS. I prefer the texture of the no sugar added variety--I bought the regular whole wheat one last week, and the bread is almost too soft--it kinda flops around (but maybe I just got a bad loaf). It also only has 50 calories per slice, although it is not marketed as a low- or reduced-calorie bread.
  • Hi,
    I don't know if this is in any of the regular stores or not. If you have a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or pretty much any kind of health store around, they should have a line of breads from the company Food For Life called Ezekiel 4:9. They are just whole sprouted grains, flourless, no sugar, nothing artificial. They have sandwich bread, english muffins, bagels, tortillas, and burger buns.

Another product that I like isn't for sandwiches, but is another unlevened, whole grain bread product so moist it's more like cake or something like what my mother made as banana nut bread. It's called Manna, it's shaped into small loaves like they used to make way back when...and I love the Fruit and Nut variety, just sprouted wheat kernals, sprouted oats, raisins, dates, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, cinnamon (all organic) and water. Yum. They also have a whole grain rye, a multi-grain, a multi-seed, carrot raisin and others I can't remember.
  • Yahooo! Choices. I have tried the WW. I found it a bit too airy for sandwiches. Maybe I got a bad loaf, because some of the slices in the middle had quarter sized holes in them. The taste was good and I can't beat the calorie count.

I'll have to look for Nature's own. That might be worth a trip to an upscale store.

Sprouted? Hmmmm. Does it have a green taste to it? It seems like it should. I saw an ad for that brand somewhere else and I wondered if anyone had tried it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!
  • Pepperidge Farm Natural Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat bread is amazing, but 110 calories per slice.
  • Ouch! I looked at that one on the last trip to the store. I like the ingredients, but one sandwich would end up being half my calories for the day. Open face doesn't work when you're driving.
  • I also buy Nature's Own double fiber bread. 40 calories per slice, HFCS is pretty far down the list of ingredients. I get it at our pokey little neighborhood grocery store, nowhere fancy.
  • Quote: I'll have to look for Nature's own. That might be worth a trip to an upscale store.
    Like jtammy, I don't get it anywhere special. I can find it at any of the regular grocery store chains around here. I'm not sure where you're located, though, as Nature's Own does not distribute nation-wide. They have a rather large reaching area, but they don't quite reach the most northern or western parts of the country (they are based in the southeast and refuse to ship that far for freshness purposes).
  • So, what do you guys look for in your breads?

If I remember correctly the nutritionist said the WW+ bread isn't really *whole*? Does anyone know?

I tend to eat whole wheat Tortillas as opposed to regular bread, personally because of taste.
  • I just saw Nature's own in the grocery store today. The one I looked at seemed to have decent ingredients but I do like my more fibrous "The Baker" bread so I went with that instead. I also looked at some Alvarado street sprouted grain bread but it also had less fiber than my usual so I went with my usual.

I'm a constant label reader though, if I'm looking for a new sliced bread, I can spend 20 minutes in the bread aisle looking at all the ingredients and nutritional information.

What I look for in the bread is the following:
    No sweeteners or limited and preferably natural if anything
    Whole grains only
    Good fiber content
    50-70 calories per slice at most

The bread I normally buy has organic ingredients but I don't buy it because of that. I buy it because it is nice and dense and filling and has overall good ingredients.
  • Quote: If I remember correctly the nutritionist said the WW+ bread isn't really *whole*? Does anyone know?
    From my understanding, "wheat" bread is not necessarily whole wheat bread. The label must say "whole wheat" or else it's 99% likely enriched (processed and stripped). To be sure it is whole, look at the ingredients. The very first ingredient should always say it's a WHOLE wheat flour. If the type of flour does NOT include the word "whole," you can assume it isn't. Check the rest of the ingredients, too, because sometimes they try to be tricky and use mostly whole wheat flour and then add some enriched flour later on in the ingredient list.

Nelie, I have seen The Baker bread you always mention, but I can't seem to find one with less than 100 calories per slice (I used to buy it for Jeff because it was one of the very few whole-grain breads I could find that was nice and hearty and did NOT contain HFCS). Which flavor/type is it you buy that has 70 or less per slice? I'll have to keep checking in my bread isle.