Probably a stupid Fitday question

• So, i'm working on logging my stuff on Fitday and I've been doing okay until it comes down to dinner and a recipe. For example, tonight, I'm planning on turkey meatloaf, so how on earth do I breakdown all the ingrediants, or do I not need to be that anal? Obviously, the ground turkey is the main ingrediant which I would log, but what about the rest...tomato paste, yada, yada?
  • I am that anal. I am not sure if every one is. So far on my plan, if I can't account for EVERYTHING I don't eat it. There was something I saw in a store that I thought looked good but I refused to buy it because there was no nutritional information listed for it. I can't log it so I can't eat it. LOL

I have actually just started with fit day (yesterday to be exact). What I always have done for recipes, before fitday, was put all the ingredients into a spread sheet with their nutritional information. I total up the nutritional information using the sum formula and then divide by the number of servings I am making out of it. Yesterday I took a recipe I had done like that and entered the information per serving into fit day as a new custom food.

I am not sure if I will continue with fitday. There are some things I think I prefer about my spreadsheet I used for the first 10 weeks. I do like fitday because I can access it away from home.
  • I do find the need to court everything. What I do is I will open a new day in fitday and type all of the ingredients of the recipe that I am making. Then I will divide it into the correct amount of portions and add it to my custom foods so that I will not have to recalculate it when I make it next time.
  • Kimberly try calorie-count.com. Click on recipes on the right side and then recipe anaylyzer when it comes up. Then type in the ingredients and the amount of servings. I find this easier then Fitay. Or you can make a custom food on Fitday.
  • Did you look for the whole plate?

I find most things are already there and then I just add any extra ingredients I used. I even found tamal this morning! wich is great since I didn't have a clue as to how many calories those have :P
  • I am this anal also. I even do it for my baked goods. I emailed the head office of my grocerie store to get the nutritional info on the storemade wholegrain bread
  • I am anal about it too. I count every little thing.
  • Thank you! Calorie-count is awesome and I entered the recipe into it to work it out.

Question (I promise I will figure this all out eventually, but I've never counted calories before): Saturated fat is the bad fat, right? So how much fat should I have total in a day? I was a bit surprised that the turkey meatloaf was as high in fat as it was, though I know I'm doing better (at least I think I am) than I would with ground beef.
  • Ground turkey and ground turkey breast are two different things. (I learned that the hard way too.) Ground turkey breast is low in fat. Ground turkey can have just as much fat as ground beef.

And yes, saturated fat is usually the "bad" fat. Most of your fats should be unsaturated. Depending on what plan you are following, your fat calories should be about 15-30% of your daily calories, and the majority of those fat calories should be from healthy unsaturated fats.
  • I read in WW magazine, a couple of years ago, that, since its introduction in the 1970's, the fat content of ground turkey had crept up every year, and now, the fat content that was average for ground turkey not marked with its specific fat content, could be as high as 30%. I would NEVER buy ground beef that was 30/70. So, I don't buy ground turkey unless its fat content is marked.
  • Canadian Mom,

Did the store send you the nutritional information when you requested it?

I learned something new at Sobey's tonight. I bought some meat at the deli and they print the nutrition label with your price tag sticker thing. Co-Op and safeway don't do that. I already had figured out my fat free turkey breast so I didn't need the information, but nice to know.

Does everything in the US have nutrition labels on them including bakery section items? I know that Superstore has quite a few things that are labeled. It makes it nice. Usually when I am shopping there is something there that is tempting. If there is no label I think, "Hmmm, better not." If there is a label then I look and go, "Holy cow! No way is that going in my cart"
  • I bought some chicken cordon bleu from the deli - and I requested the nutrional info and they printed it out for me.

I love blue diamond almonds. On their label it listed the total fat and sat fat but didn't break down the balance. I emailed them and they told me the mono and the other fat too.

Thanks for the tip on starting a new day to key in a recipe.. great idea!!
  • Kimberly I'm glad you liked calorie-count.com. I can't take credit for it though. I got it from somebody here at 3FC. It really is a great site. Another great site is nutriitiondata.com. They have lots of interesting stuff too. And please I am telling you, don't EVER hesitate to ask any questions that you have. Really.
  • Quote: Canadian Mom,

Did the store send you the nutritional information when you requested it?

I learned something new at Sobey's tonight. I bought some meat at the deli and they print the nutrition label with your price tag sticker thing. Co-Op and safeway don't do that. I already had figured out my fat free turkey breast so I didn't need the information, but nice to know.

Does everything in the US have nutrition labels on them including bakery section items? I know that Superstore has quite a few things that are labeled. It makes it nice. Usually when I am shopping there is something there that is tempting. If there is no label I think, "Hmmm, better not." If there is a label then I look and go, "Holy cow! No way is that going in my cart"

Yes they did it took a couple days oir them to email the info but they did.