attention all crock pot gurus

• I went out and bought a brand new crock pot just for ME!! It has the removable pot and everything!! Now the only thing I know how to cook in it is pot roast. Any suggestions?

I'm hoping to dump some things in it right before my son and I go off to school in the morning, so it will be simmering away for approx. 8 hours. Some days are longer. I know that's a looong time to hang out in the pot, which is why I usually do a sturdy roast.

Heeelllp!!
  • Chicken thighs cook great in a crock pot. You can season them up pretty much anyway you like. I have found most of my crock pot recipes online. I have also done pork ribs and they turned out great too. I love my crock pot. Let me know if you'd like me to pass on some recipes I've tried.
  • There are quite a few crockpot recipes in the South Beach Recipe Area.
  • I love my crock pot!

McCormick makes some slow cooker seasoning packets. My favorite is the beef stew - it tastes so yummy! Everyone in my family loves it. And Weight Watchers has a slow cooker cookbook (at least they did, not sure if it's still available).
  • I've got several great crock pot recipe books and I would certainly recommend getting one. You will LOVE it. I use my crock pot for soups, chili, roasts, chicken and rice, beans, etc... I'm even becoming more adventurous with it. I have an overnight bread recipe that I'm wanting to try.

Also, check out www.allrecipes.com and search crock pot. Great website with FABULOUS recipes!
  • I make chili, roasts, stuffed cabbage, meatloaf, pork chops, corned beef, beef brisket, and applesauce in mine. I don't make chicken in it because the chicken tends to get too rubbery being cooked that long.

Cheryl
  • Chicken thighs are much better in the crock than breasts, and if you put them in frozen, 8 hours is often just about right. They do tend to fall apart, which is why I like to make "pulled meat," type recipes where I pour the finished meat and sauce mixture over brown rice or use on whole wheat buns for sandwhiches.

One of my favorites is the Weight Watchers diet cola/catsup recipe, where you mix equal parts diet coke and catsup and pour over the meat (for the crockpot, about 1 cup of each works pretty well). You can use the diet soda/catsup recipe in the crock pot, in the oven, and in the skillet.

I made wonderful orange beef the other day with catsup/diet orange soda, a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, a sliced onion, sliced green pepper, and dried minced garlic. I made it in the skillet with thin sliced sirloin, but it would be great in the crock pot with a roast, and then just pull it apart into the sauce when the meat is tender.
  • Hi!
    I love my crockpot too! I don't seem to use it as much as I would like to. I was on a soup kick for awhile and making it in the crockpot. I am always looking for low fat/low cal recipes for it. I have seen the Weight Watchers Slow Cooker cookbook on e-bay. I don't think you can find it anywhere! It was going for $50-$60! I can't pay that much for a cookbook! I have found some on the internet. Also if you google low fat crockpot recipes there are alot of people that share weight watchers recipes too.
    It would be great if we posted some low fat/low cal crockpot recipes for all to share! I am going to look this weekend. I 'll find a yummy one!
    If anyone wants to share let me know,
    Lisa
  • Lisa- share away!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. A more healthful alternative to thickened stews and heavy foods.

Thanks everyone!! I've been burned by internet receipes in the past and so I tend to be a bit conservative about trying new ones. There's nothing worse than making a yucky dinner and then finding out you don't have a back up. That's when the bad things happen!! Like the realization that you have everything in the house (somehow) to make nachos. Yikes!!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • Quote: Lisa- share away!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. A more healthful alternative to thickened stews and heavy foods.

Thanks everyone!! I've been burned by internet receipes in the past and so I tend to be a bit conservative about trying new ones. There's nothing worse than making a yucky dinner and then finding out you don't have a back up. That's when the bad things happen!! Like the realization that you have everything in the house (somehow) to make nachos. Yikes!!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
    I know what you mean! That's why I like allrecipes.com. I ONLY make the recipes that have about 50 reviews (or more) and have at LEAST 4 stars! I read the reviews to see why some people didn't like it and then decide if I want to attempt or not. So far, I've never been burned....and I've gotten about 5 recipes that have become "mine" at potlucks. People now think I'm an OUTSTANDING cook! hahaha
  • i use my crock pot all the time.. i have this book called " 5 ingredient slow cooker recipies" its great... by taste of home i think? its about 200 pages of recipies and the ones ive tried are really yummy.. just thought id share
  • I love my crockpot. It makes my life so much easier Here are a couple of my regular recipes (Note: I have a very small crockpot and cook for one so you will probable want to double or triple the recipe):

Chicken Soup:
    1 can chicken soup
    1 cup hot water
    1 chicken boullian cube
    Hand full of baby carrots cut in half
    Couple of stalks of celery cut into small pieces
    1 small onion cut into small pieces
    1 medium potato, skin removed, cut into small pieces
    1 large raw chicken breast, cut into bit size pieces

Put all ingredients into the crockpot and let simmer all day. Before serving I add salt, pepper, and parsley.

If I want chicken noodle soup or chicken rice soup then I cook the noodles/rice separately and just add them in before serving.

Salsa Chicken:
    1 can black beans
    1 small can corn
    Chicken Breast (however many you are planning on serving)
    1 bottle salsa

1. Drain and rise beans
    2. Drain corn
    3. Mix corn, beans, and half of salsa in the bottom of the crockpot
    4. Place chicken over the bean/corn mixture.
    5. Pour the remaining salsa over the chicken
    6. Leave all day

Chicken Salad:
    Place several chicken breast or boneless skinless thighs into the crockpot with enough water to cover the chicken. When the chicken is done remove it from the water and let cool. Once cool shred the chicken into small pieces, add light miracle whip, chopped up celery, chopped up onions, and seasoning salt. Serve on toasted light wheat bread.
  • I just copied several crock pot recipes of the WW section. It has the chicken and Diet Coke as well as many others that sound good.