3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Scale inaccurate?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/106537-scale-inaccurate.html)

Berridrops 03-07-2007 08:22 AM

Scale inaccurate??

Hey everyone!

What to do or shall I say which to believe? There was nothing wrong with the scale that I've been using for years, and I always believed it to be accurate, however, I bought a new scale last week with bodyfat measuring.

I weighed in this morning on both scales and there was a 6 pound difference. I'm not sure which to believe. I don't want to believe the lower pounds for fear that I am truly not that weight. Anyone ever had this happen before? Which pound did you go with, higher or lower?

bizlawchik 03-07-2007 08:34 AM

Is the scale you've been using for years a digital scale? Are the batteries fresh? Scales need to be re-calibrated here and there and if you've been using this scale for years, there is very good reason to believe that it's not as accurate as it used to be.

Are you on an official program where you weigh in? If so, how does that weight compare? Do you have any doctor's appointments coming up? If so, how does that weight compare?

That all being said, I would believe the new scale with fresh batteries. Enjoy your lower weight! :)

meowee 03-07-2007 08:36 AM

Almost impossible to find two scales that will weigh you the same. But . . . that really doesn't matter . . . that's only a number. What matters is the direction of the movement . . . as long as it keeps on moving downward; you are doing the right stuff.

That said . . . I feel your pain and confusion :hug: . . . same thing happened to me last Spring. New scale gave me a 5 pound gain. So, since I decided I was going to be using the new one from that point forward, I decided I'd have to consider it to be the correct one. Didn't consider it a gain, though . . . just a little plateau. . . . just left my ticker where it was until I caught up with it again . . .

Have a good moving and shaking day, chickie . . . Pick the number from the scale you intend to keep on using and then forget about the problem and keep on moving forward (and downward) on the long winding road to better health and fitness. :carrot:

Berridrops 03-07-2007 10:12 AM

Thanks ladies....

Both of them are digital and you're right, I may need to change the batteries on the older one. I'll probably drop the old one and use the new one.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with my trainer so I will weigh in with him and see.

Angihas2 03-07-2007 10:32 AM

LOL. I had this happen too. I freaked out! I had 3 scales tell me I was in the 237-239 range, after my scale had been dropping weekly until I hit 220. I hit the roof, I was furious and felt betrayed. So, at my daughters doc appt for surgery consult, I used their uberaccurate scale for anasthesia patients. I know that thing is accurate, all anasthesia is weight based dosages. It wavered between 217-218 and I ran with it. My scale only reads about 4 pounds higher than the doc one, so I keep using mine since it's the one I started with. As long as the SAME scale keeps going down, thats what matters. I know its really hard not to stop and weigh yourself on every scale you pass and to let that decide what kind of day you'll have in regards to how you feel about yourself, your weight and your new lifestyle, but we have to resist. I was getting to wrapped up in the number on the scale and was starting to neglect rejoicing in the NSV's. The smaller clothes, smaller body, firmer muscle tone. Just keep working the plan and the numbers are going to drop :)

jennylou 03-07-2007 11:36 AM

If you're going to be using the new scale, I would take what the new scale reads, but adjust your old weight accordingly (ie, if it makes you 6 pounds heavier, add six pounds to your starting weight). That way, you've still lost the same amount. :)

crazynette826 03-10-2007 04:48 AM

Same thing happened to me. So for a while I weighed and kept track of both scales. I've since realized that this was silly. I was losing the same amount each week, just a few pounds different depending on the scale. So I went with the new scale and put the old one away. Like it's been said, it doesn't really matter what the number is exactly, as long as that number keeps going down!!!