Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Question about carb/protien/fat placement

So, I try to stay between 1400-1600 calories. Some days I hover around 1200, some days I'm closer to 1650, but mainly I average out. I do notice, the heavier my carb breakfast is, the more hungry I am, ALL DAY LONG. Today for example, feel free to check my fitday, make comments etc, but I had steel cut oats for breakfast, with a banana, tsp of smart start and tbsp of honey. But I was hungry in an hour. I've noticed that it seems to be an ongoing problem for me, if I have a carb<even healthy carbs> heavy breakfast that my hungar seems unbated ALL day long. Tomorrow I'm trying a breakfast more heavy in healthy fats and protien, eggwhite and egg omelet with mushrooms, cheese, corn torilla and salsa, and have the more carb laden meal as an afternoon snack. Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, does nayone else have similiar experiences? Have you worked around and if so, how? And does anyone have suggestions on alternative ways to balance out the cabr/fat/protien equation per meal?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #2  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Angi,

My eating plan is to balance my meals approximately 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I usually end up a little higher in carbs and lower in fat though (45C/30P/25F). I eat 5-6 meals a day, averaging about 1700 cals and over 100 grams of protein a day.

I never eat any meals without some sort of protein, and the only time I'm hungry is when it's time to eat again. If I were to eat a carb alone, I will be starving in 30 mins. When I eat oatmeal, I usually mix some protein powder in it, or will have a side of egg whites. Snacks are fruit or veggies with a low fat string cheese or some chicken.

Protein really does help curb your hunger. I've also read that it's the most thermic of the three groups... you burn more calories to digest proteins than carbs or fats.

Edit: I looked at your Fitday and the rest of your meals look pretty good. I think getting some protein at breakfast will help you with the rest of your day.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Yes, when I used to have cereal for breakfast, I'd always be hungry. Now I eat a balanced portion of protein/carb/fat at each meal (okay, I TRY to do that and mostly succeed), which works well for me. Doing that keeps you fuller plus it helps stabilize your blood sugar.

How did you feel after your breakfast today?

Edited: Saw the answer to my question on another thread--glad it worked!

Last edited by Sheila53; 03-09-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think that protein helps keep me fuller in the morning. I vary my breakfasts a lot and some have a lot more protein than others. Seems like no matter what I eat, I'm hungry in less than 2 hours. Most of my breakfasts are in the 200-300 calorie range.

I do try to keep my breakfast healthy, but I am now just as likely to have a high carb oatmeal with blueberries breakfast as I am a turkey sausage, egg white and light cheese on a muffin breakfast. Actually, a few times I have had a higher calorie breakfast of a whole grain bagel with light cream cheese (400 calories) and the bulk seems to help keep me fuller longer, but it's not high in protein.

Hmmmm... makes me think I should be upping my calories at breakfast a little and see how that goes...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote