enjoyable alternatives to food?

• Wondering if we can share the activities that we use to dispel boredom, give us pleasure, deal with emotions, instead of using food for these things? Lately I've just been doing a lot of writing and playing computer games. I'm looking to share ideas.
  • Read a book, play with my kids (my favorite ), catch up on my list of things to do, take a nap would be nice!!!
  • If I want to eat just to eat I will make a big cup of tea instead. Every once in a while I will let myself have a diet coke (I try not to drink soda). Sometimes I'll go do homework, the computer is always distracting (I can sit and read wikipedia articles for hours haha), cleaning also takes my mind off things and is quite productive, walk my dog, nap with the cat (especially in the sun!)... I find all those quite relaxing!
  • Bikini - Am I sooo with you there! A big cup of tea and wikipedia can provide entertainment for hours...

Here are some of mine:
    *Painting my fingernails.
    *Photography.
    *Take a walk with the dogs.
    *Go to the library (try the foreign language area -pick up a CD to practice)
    *Clean. Rearrange furniture.
    *Clean out the closet! Take the clothes to good will.
    *Learn something new. Like knitting, sewing, watercolors.
    *Write a letter on REAL paper to someone who will appreciate it (like your grandma).
    *Creative writing (my fav). No, you don't have to be good at it!
  • Exercise and drinking bottles of water.

Exercise helps me manage my negative emotions better than anything else I know, and water keeps me from eating when I really want a snack.
  • I take Dr. Phil's advice and do something that I absolutely can't do while eating (I've become very good at eating and reading a book so that is out for me. I have to read when I'm not looking to eat). My 2 biggies are scrapbooking and counted cross-stitch. There is no way I want grubby "food" hands on my work so I have to stay completely away from it while I'm doing those activities.

I've also discovered in the evening when the late night munchies hit that sex is a very good deterrent!
  • A nice hot bath with a good book, posting on 3FC, catching up on my TiVo'd shows and.....dare I say it?..."close" time with hubby!
  • These are all great - thank you very much! Great to have ideas when I'm facing big cravings.