Old 02-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Let's talk about BRAS

Ok, since there's a shoe thread going, I thought I'd add to the clothing discussion by asking you ladies how you deal with changing bra sizes. I've lost about 10 inches around my chest, so of course, the old bras have been retired. But, I'm still losing, and getting a good bra that supports me is an expensive (and often less that fun) ordeal. My experience with cheaper bras is that they just don't give me the support I need.

Right now, I've been dealing with it by wearing my workout bras all the time. (Small plug here - if you are a gal with a larger top, you simply must try Enell bras, they are fantastic). This works since it's winter, and I can avoid anything that shows a lot of skin. But, even though it's snowing here in Chicago today, I know that those warmer months are right around the corner. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Maybe I just need to suck it up and sink the money into this as an investment in my weight loss success.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I suggest you but just one basic bra for those times when wearing a sports bra looks funny. I buy my bras at Nordstroms or Macy's because they have an amazing selection of suprisingly reasonably priced bras that are very comfortable. Talk to one of the sales people and explain your situation and have someone measure you so you get the right size for you now. I bet they can even help you find one that can also last a little longer that has a lot of strap adjustment room and a few different tightness clips in the back. Good luck!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am absolutely terrible at shopping for bras. Since starting to lose weight, I bet I have bought at least 10 new ones, and not one of them has a decent fit. I keep telling myself to just go get fitted properly and haven't done it. I did find that underwires don't bother me like they did when I was much heavier. My problem is that I want the cuter bras now and the ones I pick out always have me falling out of the low-cups in the front when I bend over. I'm trying to get out of the old granny-bras but they seem to fit more natural on me. But, if I wear anything remotely low-cut you can see the bra.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I posted a similar thread not too long ago -- I stupidly thought all this time that buying a bra with UNDERWIRE was the only way to get support, yet I still wasn't thrilled with the location of the "gals" LOL i'm a big girl but not super huge up top so I definitely want to go the "minimizer" route

and THEN MY WHOLE LIFE CHANGED!!! hahahha I'm such a convert now!!! I tried on, just for fun, an Playtex 18-Hour bra with side panels and extra support, nice cushy shoulder straps, nice wide band in the back so it doesn't curl up, NO under wire, and holy CRAP it's fabulous!!! the gals are up nice and high and the cleavage is under control but GREAT! yay! AND the hubby likes it too
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #5  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

Height: 5'5"

Ladies, for you larger busted women I have to recommend reductions. I had one about 3 years ago and it changed my life. Most health insurances cover them also. As far as the bra thing, I recommend staying away from underwire, they have a smaller window of "fit" time than a soft cup does. I've found that my cup size hasn't changed even though my rib cage measurement has, so what I've started doing is putting darts into the elastic. I guess that only works if you have a sewing machine, and I know it is temporary until I lose enough weight that it looks funny, but for a quick fix and to extend the life of my bras that's what I recommend.
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

Height: 5'6"

WindyCityChick - I have been looking for a good sports bra, where do you buy the Enell brand bra I might try one.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #7  

I have an Enell bra too, for "bouncy" exercise, lol. But mainly I use the Glamorise Sport Bra. It is comfy and puts the girls where they belong.

In the future, I do plan on a reduction. However, I need to lose weight first, so that I don't end up with itty bitty...well, you get the rhyme....and curves everywhere else. So, when I'm goal or close to goal, I'll check out a reduction and lift.
kristinaferina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #8  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeyu14 View Post
Ladies, for you larger busted women I have to recommend reductions. I had one about 3 years ago and it changed my life. Most health insurances cover them also. As far as the bra thing, I recommend staying away from underwire, they have a smaller window of "fit" time than a soft cup does. I've found that my cup size hasn't changed even though my rib cage measurement has, so what I've started doing is putting darts into the elastic. I guess that only works if you have a sewing machine, and I know it is temporary until I lose enough weight that it looks funny, but for a quick fix and to extend the life of my bras that's what I recommend.
Sorry not a fan, of vanity surgery at all, so you traded up for scars.......no thanks, to me a waste of money and time but what ever makes you happy
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #9  

To me, it isn't vanity. My back hurts. My shoulders hurt. Being a size G isn't fun, it hurts. Now, the tummy tuck I want WITH the reduction, that part is vanity and I'm not ashamed to want it.
kristinaferina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #10  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGypsy View Post
Sorry not a fan, of vanity surgery at all, so you traded up for scars.......no thanks, to me a waste of money and time
For me it wasn't vanity. I struggled with the decision to have it done for 8 years. When I graduated 8th grade I was a D cup. By the end of 12th grade I was a F cup, and when I graduated college I was a J cup. Yes, a J. I had 11 inches difference in my rib cage measurement and my bust measurement. The reduction took almost 10 pounds of tissue out. Yeah, the scars aren't wonderful, but it was worth it to me. It was worth it to be able to walk upright. To be able to fit into shirts without busting out the top of them. To be able to buy a bra off the rack at walmart and not have to spend $80-$120 on a custom made one. To make it through an entire day without back, neck, and shoulder pain. I know that surgery isn't for everyone. I wasn't trying to say that it should be. I only offered it up as a suggestion knowing the benefits that I gained from the experience. A final thought in regards to the scarring... I scar badly (the big puffy red kind) and my scars are hardly noticable. For me at least, the pros definately out weighed the cons.
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a cousin who had the reduction done, and it was the best thing she ever did. I never asked her what size she was, but she had HUGE breasts. (and she is only in her 20's) They made her miserable. She is so much better off now ~ has more self confidnence and doesn't hurt all the time anymore. NO, it isn't for everyone, but for some, it is a medical necessity.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #12  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Speaking for myself, I am very large chested and I am 23. I will likely get Reduction surgery in my near future. It is not a vanity thing. I have daily pain because of my chest size. Even at goal I will probably still have to have it done because when I lose weight "my girls" stick around and don't seem to reduce in size.. natural mystery. ... Pain aside, being large chested is an emtional burden as well. It is very uncomfortable.... Several people in my family have had to get it done and say it's the best. As my Grandma put it, "I'm so happy; I can buy cute bras now."
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/280/130

Height: 5'6''

None of my bras have ever fit anyway, so as I lost weight, they just finally started to fit. ha

I have a deformity of my breasts so I don't spend too much money on bras anyway... there are a few that help mask the problem and I stick with those regardless of my size.

I can't WAIT to lose the weight, have the corrective reconstructive surgery, and buy a Victoria's Secret pretty bra... can't WAIT!
TooFatForMyDesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #14  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I know what you mean. I had to have some biopsies done and now one of my breasts is not shaped the same as the other. They took about 4 inches of skin out of one and one inch on the other. I suppose the scars from reduction surgery won't bother me as I am already scarred.

Cute Bras here we come!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Fashion Bug had a day where they fitted you for a bra (they will do it at any time). I happened to be there that day and tried it on a whim. I was amazed at the difference. I was choosing bras with the wrong cup size. The bras were less than $20. I got 3 and plan to resize and purchase as needed. I only hang them up to dry. I can't believe the difference getting an expert opinion. I'm more confortable and my "girls" have a happy home.
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote