3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Vitamins? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/105422-vitamins.html)

royalsfan1 02-23-2007 02:20 PM

Vitamins?

Do any of you take vitamins? Right at the beginning of my new lifestyle I went to the Dr for a checkup (my 9 yr checkup....:^: ). Anyway, she suggested, in addition to a healthy diet, to add a multi-vitamin and a small amt of calcium supplement. I've never been one to take vitamins and was just wondering how many of you do? I am not seeking medical advice, or anything. Just really curious, mainly. I started with her suggestion and have actually been feeling really great. I don't know to what I should attribute that but maybe it's just a part of the entire package.

nelie 02-23-2007 02:25 PM

I take a vitamin every night. I buy mine from Costco. I've read that in general, that it is nearly impossible to get all the vitamins you "need" through eating. Also, vitamins in food can vary depending on how vitamin rich the soil in which they are grown. So I use vitamins just to make sure I'm covering the basics.

Charbar 02-23-2007 02:40 PM

I take centrum multi vitamin - why them? b/c they make a orange flavoured chewable. I generally find vitamins are like horse pills! I take mine in the morning after breakfast.

I think vitamins are those things that you don't really how much they help until you stop taking them. I just started this when I started my diet plan.

I used fitday.com - and it will give you your vitamin stats - and like Nelie said taking a multi vitamin covers the basics. I'm eating mostly healthy I can't eat all my vitamins every day.

I need to find something for vitamin K - I'm lacking there big time.. and my multi doesn't give much of that.

I also take fish oil when I can too.

Hope this helps! here are some intersting facts of what vitamins do for you..
http://www.centrum.com/vitamin/index.asp

Angihas2 02-23-2007 03:23 PM

I take one a day - women multi-vitamin every day, the kids take flintstones and Matt takes one a day for men

Berridrops 02-23-2007 04:27 PM

I take vitamins and I've also bought fish oil too, but after tasting it once, I can't bring myself to take it everyday. :nono:

Angihas2 02-23-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berridrops (Post 1584389)
I take vitamins and I've also bought fish oil too, but after tasting it once, I can't bring myself to take it everyday. :nono:

Add the fish oil to smoothies. My kids have a smoothie everyday :D

The also sell kids flavored fish oils, my kids love the peach one and I add that to their summer smoothies with mango, pineapples, yogurt and honey and flax seed.

Little do they know those yummy shakes are hiding things like fish oil, flax seed and kelp.

Bikini Ready 02-23-2007 09:22 PM

I take my vitamins every morning! I take a multi vitamin, calcium, an antioxidant suppliment and every once in a while I will take flaxseed oil capsuls (it also comes as a seed or actual oil), it has a lot of the same benefits of fish oil without the awful taste!

LakeGirl 02-23-2007 09:52 PM

I take Women's One A Day every night. It was a hard habit to get into, but I think I'm finally there!:)

Heather 02-23-2007 10:28 PM

I don't usually take multivitamins. I've read that it's best to get nutrients from our food, as our bodies are more likely to absorb them. The vitamins have the nutrients, but it's really unclear how much we absorb (from what I've read). I do try to eat a variety of foods to get the nutrients. On days when I don't think I've done a good job with my food choices, I do take a multivitamin.

I do take a calcium supplement (or 2) every day (with vitamin D). I often technically get the right amount of calcium in my food, but I know that you need vitamin D to absorb it, and that caffeine inhibits the absorbtion (much of my calcium comes during breakfast, when I'm also drinking coffee)...

And then, frequently, my head wants to explode trying to keep all this in mind as I go about my day trying to figure out what and when to eat!! :crazy:

crazynette826 02-24-2007 01:52 AM

I take a Flintstones vit. every day. I tried taking Women's one a day, but it made my stomache hurt so I went back to the Flintstones. It works for me. I do notice I don't feel as well on the days I forget, but it might just be my mind playing tricks on me. I don't forget very often.

EnglishMuffin 02-24-2007 05:27 AM

Hi,

I take solgar 'female multiple' it is the only multivitiman that I have ever felt had a noticeable effect on me when I take it/ or if I skip it a few days - however it turns your pee bright yellow apparently this is a sign that your body doesn't need a particular b vitamin! I also take a fairly high dose of EFA's and I drink aloe vera juice and have milk thistle to keep my system cleansed and liver happy.

EM

kristinaferina 02-24-2007 08:44 AM

I started taking a multivitamin when I was TTC and continued on through pregnancy, nursing and after. I also take an extra calcium, as I don't get enough in my foods.

lizziness 02-24-2007 02:59 PM

i take the chewable Centrum vitamins too. I have a difficult time swallowing pills in general and there is no way i can swallow one the size of my thumb. :( I took mine to work and put them on my desk in hopes i'd remember to take them every day. I find I take mine in the afternoon around the afternoon slump and I feel a lot better when I do.

Used to take the Flintstones ones but once i saw the chewable ones for adults, i switched oer.

curlylocks 02-24-2007 03:03 PM

I like the weight smart vitamins from one a day... also supplement magnesium & calcium (menopausal) and c0Q 10 with L carnitine

royalsfan1 02-24-2007 11:55 PM

Wow, it seems like the general consensus is to take vitamins. Thanks for all the input. I feel better about taking it now that I see so many people do...and it's not a copout to eating right.

I agree about the nasty fish oil taste! I notice when I take them on an empty stomach they make me burp and the taste is HORRID! :p :barf: