Old 02-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Finding complacency or being content

Do you ever find yourself getting complacent? Becoming content after losing x amount of weight? I felt that today. Even the victory with the scale, after realising I haven't been this "small" <HAHAHAHA> in years, like 10, I almost didn't work out. There was a part of me that was very satisfied to have come this far and I don't know how to describe it, except to say for more than a few moments, I was just content to stay at 220. Is this just me? Do I have some sort of odd behaviour? Is this something we all struggle with? I'm healthier than I have been in years. I'm happier with myself, physically, than I have been in years. I know this will continue, as LONG AS I KEEP WORKING at it. I don't have a deadline. Sure, I'd like to be smoking hot and able to walk into any store this holiday season <2007> and know they'll have my size. But if it doesn't happen by then, well, it doesn't happen by then. But for a while today, I just wanted to sit on my laurels and bask in my accomplishments, and go NO FURTHER. Thankfully, I went ahead and worked out, kept my meals on track today, but it's still there. The desire to say "I'm done, I'm happy right here, right now". I would have been content too, for a little bit, until I gained some weight back, until whatever, then it would have started again. I never want to go through the whole mental accounting within myself again. That mental thing we all have to go through at some point, which is basically, "You have got to do something, either continue on, getting fatter by the year, or lose it once and for all".

Anyway, I was just wondering if I'm the only odd duck?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/226/185

Height: 5'10

I see your ultimate goal is 165. My is 185 and we are both 5'10. Yes, I am going to be content and happy when I reach that. I have been gaining weight steadiy since 1990. Few pounds every year and now I am at 232. I can't remeber the last time I had fun shopping. Maybe in 1997 before I got married and was around 175-180. The truth is I should probably weigh 165 lbs, but I don't know who that skinny girl. Therefore, I am going to be content with 185. There is going to be a roll around my waist and it will be familiar to me.
KatSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Some people like to stay at maintenance mode above their goal weight for a while for their bodies and minds to get used to the idea of being smaller, and to get that drive back to keep going. Maintenance mode, however, doesn't mean not exercising or eating right. It's so easy for us to get right back into those old bad habits.

It took me a long time to get into the 160s from the 170s because I was pretty darn happy with the changes in my body, and the fact that I could shop in normal stores. Now that I've made my Weight Watchers lifetime goal, I'm having difficulty getting myself into actively seeking to get into the 150s. So. . . I do know what you're talking about. Sometimes it just takes keeping on doing it as a matter of habit (which you sound like you're doing) despite what that inner voice is saying. (hhmm, just had a thought--is this perhaps your inner fat girl fighting with your inner thin girl for control?)
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I don't have exactly the same thoughts, but I seem to sortta sabotage myself everytime I see a real lose on the scale. For example, I might loose 5lbs quickly and then do nothing for three or four weeks. Then I'll loose another five lbs. I might even gave two lbs back and loose it. It's like a make a little sacrafice and can't seem to make any more.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #5  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
(hhmm, just had a thought--is this perhaps your inner fat girl fighting with your inner thin girl for control?)

That's it EXACTLY!!! I had some crappy things happen to me, emotionally, physically and sexually when I was a thinner person. I'm not the only one, that's not what I'm saying. Bad things happen to danged good people. But, there IS that fat chick who wants to stay here, not just because she's comfortable being fat, I've been overweight for years now, but because in a way, it's SAFER. I'm not being noticed in a good way, people<women> don't see me as a threat, men don't harrass me, etc. The skinny chick says now that we're older, wiser, we know who are friends are, we're secure overall in our familial relationships etc, but man, her voice is very very quiet compared to the raving fat chick! Thank you so much for helping me see that.

KatSN, I'm actually 5'10" and 3/4's but for clarities sake, I've gone with 5'10", also, I think with age I may have shrunk, although my last annual, my height was still almost 5'11" and the doc assured me without the weight dragging me down, and the "fat person hump" from hunching over to try and carry the weight, I may be closer to 6' than 5'10", but we'll see.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/226/185

Height: 5'10

I alway thought I was taller than 5'10, but lately thye have been telling me I ma 5'10 and 3/4 too. I never realized that weight can bring me down. I like my height. I never thought of myself as tall.
My problem is that I lose 10 lbs. and that I am so happy and I feel good about myself and instead of continuing on a right track I slip back into my overeating routine. How do you continue and how do you stick with it.
KatSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #7  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

Yep, thats where I was today. I was so SMUG about all I've accomplished. I mean, yeah 49 pounds, its a HUGE deal, and a big weight off my shoulders, literally, but it's not enough. I was telling Matt, there's this part of me that seems so content to just be a smaller fat chick, yanno? But crap, 49 pounds? How can I not go for an even 50? Hopefully, the next loss will be more than a pound so then I can say, why not 60? I upped my walk yesterday by a mile, normally I walk for 20 minutes or so, jog for 4-5, then walk again, until I do 3 miles, so upping the extra mile I thought might give me a sense of accomplishment, but then I wimped out today and just did 1. Partially because walking outside on the road is WAY different than walking/jogging inside. Thankfully, I stayed on plan with my food, but even that was a struggle. I know its a long road, "It didn't come on overnight, it won't go away overnight" yeah yeah, but ARGHHHHHHHHH sometimes, it's just a PITA.

I guess what I'm saying is you just gotta do it. Unfortunately, having Matt drag me behind the car doesn't count as excersizing. So, I basically told myself to pull up my girl panties, quit whining and deal with the fact I still have a lot of weight to go, and if I ever want to be that size 10, if I ever again want to be someone who runs regularly, without dragging extra weight around, if I ever want my knee to feel half way normal again, I just gotta do it.

As an aside, Nike should REALLY consider using some of the 3FC chicks for their ad campaigns, I've seen that slogan more here than anywhere!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oh my, yes.

I've lost over 115 pounds and was in a mental war with myself over losing more. I've basically been at the same weight since November. I finally just told myself it was okay to maintain, because I kept sabotaging further weight loss efforts.

I started out fitting into size 30 clothes -- I couldn't even shop at the plus size stores! And this weekend I was at the sales, in regular stores, buying size 12s.

Yes I'm so pleased with my smaller size it is very hard to think about losing more!

At the same time, I am starting to see the extra weight that's still left. I'm only just into the overweight category. I think that as the weather warms up it will be easier to do more exercising... in the meantime, I am still doing what I've been doing all along....
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

No, you aren't odd at all! The reason I'm at the weight I am today is because after losing 65 lbs a few years ago I got that same complacency. So.......here I am again. It definitely is a lifelong journey - even after reaching a goal weight. I have purposely set slower goals for myself this time so I can mentally adjust as I go rather than arrive quickly and not have a mindset change!

Keep on keeping on!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote