Protein Problems

• Hi guys...........I need some help .......how much is a good amount of protein to have in a day..........and on that note, who has some good suggestions forprotein at lunch, I bring my lunch to work everyday, and find that I am always lacking in the protein dept. suggestions???
  • Tuna and cottage cheese are working as high-protein sources for me. I think we're advised to not have more than 4 servings of tuna a week because of some mercury issue, though.
  • I drink protein shakes, or eat protein bars to help get protein into my diet everyday. Pure Protein bars are about equal in carbs/protein, and they aren't that bad tasting. Actually tastes like a candy bar to me. I fix my protein shakes with vanilla soy milk, and they are rather good.

30g (a serving) of body fortress chocolate protein powder has 23 of protein...and the bars have 20 protein.
  • over the past month I've had about 100 grams of protein per day. boneless skinless chicken breast has been the best source of protein for me at lunch. I get different flavors at the grocery store - yummy.

Dana
  • How much protein to get in a day varies depending on your goals! People who lift weights, for example, often try to get in more protein because it helps repair and build muscle. A lot of people up the protein because they feel it keeps them full longer. Others may not worry about protein as much. So, it's a hard question for us to answer. I believe the general FDA guidelines are to get 10-20% of your calories from protein, 20-30% from fat and the remainder from carbs.

As for sources of protein: lean meats, fish, beans and low-fat dairy, cottage cheese and even yogurt. Protein powders really add a boost and can be mixed into a lot of other foods.
  • Besides the tuna and chicken breast already mentioned and there's alot to do with chicken breast. Like grilled and cut up in a big salad. I eat variations of veggie burgers by Morning Star Farms, if you have access to a microwave. Their Spicy Bean Burger and Chick Patty are my favorites. Salmon, baked with spices the night before is quite good cold as well, served with a salad.
  • http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14563169/
    The above article is about protein by professionals.
  • If you love beans (like I do), they are a great source of protein. I make and freeze a big pot of Taco Soup at least once a month. I freeze individual 1 cup bowls so that I can pull them out each day that I want soup for lunch. No refrigerator needed - I leave it at my desk and by lunch time it has thawed and all I have to do is nuke it.
  • Sharon ... that is a good article.
  • Thanks everyone!!!
    That was a huge help and did answer some of my questions concerning the protein................The article was awesome!! I now have a better grasp on things........I guess I just need to sit down and look at protein as a whole, I do eat many of the things mentioned already, just not sure how much it comes up to for the day, and if I am getting enough, off to go thru my journal and see how I have been doing with it, thanks again!!