Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/230/150

Height: 5'6

Question How often do you step on a scale?

I am catching myself stepping on the scale every other minute... lol silly i know and i dont know what i am expecting to see...
but i wont give updates on my weight loss until next month....
so how often do you step on the scale?
and Yes I know that its not good for me to step on it every day even lol.. but what can i say
southernleftylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #2  
Blessed

S/C/G: 292/277/146

Height: 5' 4"

I weigh almost every morning. First thing, I kneel to pray, use the restroom, and get right on the scale. Different resources will tell you different things. Some will say it is bad to weigh everyday others say it doesnt matter.

Here are some things to keep in mind. Our bodies retain different amounts of water everyday. What you hope to see is a continual gradual decrease over a period of time like 1 - 2 months.

Lastly my 72 yo dear dad has weighed everyday for a long time. He weighs in at 162. It has helped him and I believe it will help me.

good Luck on your weightloss journey
LadySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #3  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Frankly, it doesn't work for everyone, but I don't see a problem with weighing every day as long as you don't obsess over it or expect a loss every day. I weigh daily and chart it as a way to observe my body in a way unrelated to weight loss - I see what happens when I eat certain foods and keep track of what makes me bloated and sick and what makes me feel good. I found that with weekly weigh-ins I would be starving myself for two days before "weigh day" so that I could see a loss, even though I knew it was artificial. Instead, I'm a lot more sane about watching my weight without judgment when I weigh daily - I know that a 5 pound fluctuation is a factor of my body's normal condition (overworked muscles, period bloat, etc), rather than a "gain".
Here's my daily weight chart for April - I've bounced around a lot, but keep returning to 202 as my "base" weight. Over time, this "base" value will fall lower and lower, but the 5-pound weekly fluctuation will probably remain as a result of my workout cycles.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but the statement that it's "wrong" to weigh daily is a little over the top. If something causes you to obsess, change it - I was obsessing more over weekly weighs than I do over daily, so that's what works for me.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I do it most mornings (and some evenings)[and sometimes at the gym]. I also chart it. I chart daily and I chart weekly... what helps keep me going is the trend... while I just had a 14 week plateau, the trend down is what's key... a chart helps.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I tend to get obsessed with the numbers on those darn scales and forget that I'm trying to get healthy and lose inches, too. I may sneak on every day or so, but my goal is to weigh only once a week. If I could stand it, I would try weighing only once a month....but, I think that would just drive me crazy!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #6  

Unfortunately weighing is one of my obsessions. But, I've slowly learned to put less emphasis on the scale and more on exercise and eating right. I weigh constantly all day long, have for ever. If I don't I do worse. But, I only count my Monday morning as "official".
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #7  

I used to step on the scale everyday, then it turned into twice a day....... In order to maintain my sanity I know only let myself step on the scale Wednesday and Saturday's. Twice a week let's me know I am staying on track.
mvig6036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Saturday mornings, only! In fact, the scale that we had was not accurate so it was driving me crazy. I threw it in the trash and refuse to buy another one, so now I weigh only at my Saturday morning WW meeting. Like Rock Chalk Chick said, I don't think it's a problem to weigh daily, weekly, or whatever, just so long as you don't get obsessed with it. Whatever works for you, that's what this is all about! Good luck!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Since weight fluctuates daily, your once a week weigh-in could hit a high or extra low day! IMHO, the best thing to do is weigh daily and average. Of course I've been weighing myself every morning since 1961! I wonder if that's why I'm over 200? At least I know where I'm at!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I did not step on a scale for close to 15 years. That didn't work out so well for me. Yes, of course I ddin't NEED the scale to tell me that I was morbidly obese, but I can't help but wonder if I would have at least been intune with my body that things might not have gotten so out of hand.

I weigh myself every single morning. After waking up and using the bathroom, without clothing on. Yes, there are fluctuations, but I've learned to not let those drive me crazy. Though I weigh every day I only record and "count it" on Mondays. I believe I will continue to weigh myself every single day for the rest of my life. Though it is just one small tool in my battle to regain and then maintain my health I think it is important to be AWARE of what's going on with your body.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #11  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

My weigh in day is on Wednesday, but it is so hard to stay off the scale until that day. I didn't even own a scale until I started my new "lifestyle change". I hate calling it a diet since if I want to stay looking good I will have to continue the road I'm on and no revert back to old ways. But I guess not having a scale made it a lot easier to get fat.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #12  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I weigh nearly everyday, but only couny my Wed WI. For me, I see my usual fluctuations, but it keeps me OP on a daily basis
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Like others, I weigh myself everyday after using the washroom and without clothing. I like to keep track of what's going on. I also weigh at night a lot of the time. I only record and track my weight on Tuesday mornings though.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am the lone ranger here. I cannot weigh everyday. If I do, no matter what it says I will eat. If I am up - I say what the heck and eat off plan because I might as well eat if I am not loosing. If it is down, I think I should "reward" myself with a nice treat. So NO, I won't weigh everyday. I weigh only on Fridays. Period. That is what works for me.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #15  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I weigh every single morning. It keeps me on track. It reminds me of my journey that I am on, and it helps me to find patterns in my weight (like gains and losses around TOM, after weight training, etc.)

However often you weigh, just know that the number is just that... a number. Yes, it is a measure of our progress, but not the only measure. Inches lost, fitness level, progression with healthy eating... Those are all part of the puzzle.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote