Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Default No cooker for a week: food ideas

Hi,

I am going to have building work done in my kitchen next week and won't be able to cook anything. Am a bit concerned that my diet is going to go completely off the rails. I have a steamer but don't really know how to cook anything exciting with it. I've got lots of fresh fish/ chicken and veggies in preparation but am already turned off by the idea of limp veggies and tasteless proteins. Does anyone steam their food and if so can they give me some tips about making it interesting? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

We cook a lot on our George Foreman grill which can be plugged in anywhere. Also handy is an electric skillet and/or a crockpot. These can be used anywhere there's an outlet!

When our electric in our all-electric home was out for four days due to a huge snowstorm several years ago, we used our fireplace to keep a big pot of water heated to boiling. We made spaghetti, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, and we used our fireplace tools to make toast and grilled cheese sandwiches.

If you have a microwave, just take it to another room, and you can use that.

My friend lived four years without a complete kitchen while her husband built her their new one. She said she felt like she was camping every night!

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #3  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

If you can leave your fridge plugged in why not cook a couple dishes now and freeze them and then you just need to microwave.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My steamer is also a rice cooker. You can do both the rice and steam the veggies at the same time. If yours is the same, cook up some rice, steam the veggies along with it and you've got a great oriental dish--add a little sauce and you have a great meal. You could even throw in some tofu with the veggies to get some protein.

But if you can get a microwave, I vote for the cook it and freeze it method!

Do you have an outside grill? Meats and grilled veggies, yum!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 329/223/147

Height: 5ft5

Hi there,

Thanks for all of your suggestions - they're great. I wish I could use an outside grill Alison - but February in the UK is a bit chilly brrrrrrrrrrr. I'm going to have a cook-off this weekend and cook healthy stuff that I can zap in the microwave - why didn't I think of that?! But will also steam some fish/ veg/ rice - sounds good - on a few evenings.

Thanks again,

EM
EnglishMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote