Old 01-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #16  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
But keep this is mind: the right plan doesn't just help you LOSE weight, but you need to be able to MAINTAIN that loss. I see lots of people post here that they are going to try X plan again, because it helped them lose a lot of weight before... but they gained it all back. I have to ask if that is really the right plan for them if they don't keep the weight off long term.

Ditto that! I've tried just about all those "out of the box" plans in the past as well. Didn't work for me. I'm also a "do it for the rest of my life" gal. That being said, those things that i'm willing to do have changed over my life as well as over the course of this eating plan. Had I contemplated in the past what i'm doing right now I would have rebelled. It was just one small step at a time and checking my body and mind to see if it was going to be sustainable.

My first step was tackling my soda intake and lack of water. At that point I wasn't even worried about lowering calories, but of course, getting rid of soda and substituting water did that by default. Same with lowering meat intake and increasing fish intake, no worries about calories, but it did happen by default, so you don't have to constantly be watching each and every number.

Whatever you do, just adjust and fine tune as you go.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #17  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I need structure and I need to know that the plan has worked for others. I was looking for a diet that my hubby and I could both use, that had normal food that you can buy at the local grocery store, that didnt cost a ton of money and that we could follow for the rest of our lives. We chose Southbeach. I bought my hubby two of the cookbooks for Christmas and we have been trying recipes everyday. This has really helped us to learn how to eat healthy food that is prepared in a tasty way...and the diet is working. My best advice to you is to choose a diet that you can live with for the rest of your life...then modify it as you go along. And exercise, exercise, exercise....no diet will work for long without it.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #18  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I think I found my plan through doing and trying sooooo many plans. When ever I have a new diet book...my hubby gives me look like "You got to do them to make them work, ya know". Ha! Ha! How true.
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #19  
Fit by 50!

S/C/G: 265/262/165

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everything above!!!

For me, a HUGE part of it is mental. If the plan is too restrictive, I end up rebelling at some point. Or getting bored. Nor do I want to give up lots of things with the idea that I can NEVER have them again. I honestly believe moderation is key.

I did do the Atkins plan for a couple years, and then a modified lower carb plan. I've kept off 30 lbs for that amount of time. I've also basically morphed to avoiding white flour and sugar which is pretty natural for me now, but it seems to be like everyone above has said -- you have to find something that works for you.

This time around, between 1800 and 2000 calories a day (going for the slow, steady loss without feeling hungry all the time), some type of daily exercise, and lots of water.

Good luck!
Nancydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Like Rhonda, I need structure, and I also need accountability. I chose Weight Watchers Core program (don't have to count points or journal, although I do journal anyway), and it's worked well for me because it's something I can do for the rest of my life. I like having to weigh in and stay within two pounds of my goal weight--it keeps me honest.

As everyone says, find something that works for you that you can do for the rest of your life.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #21  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

WOW!! The responses have totally blown me away! You all are wonderful! I feel like I have made so many new friends...people who actually CARE about how I'm feeling. (Shedding a tear here! LOL!) This has been GREAT advice, and I want each of you to know....I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

Here is what I have gotten out of the replies:
1. It seems to be a no-brainer....just DO something until you find something that works.
2. Nothing is in cement, tweaking is allowed.
3. Everyone is different, so different strokes for different folks.
4. We all have a common goal, healthy lifestyles, even though we may travel different roads to acheive the same thing.
5. I have new friends who care about where I am in life at this point in time and who are willing to help me through. Anything is possible at this point.

Thanks again, everyone. You have all truly been excellent sources of emotional strength to me today. You will never know how much that really means.

I look forward to posting my progress as I follow the advice above. Anyone else wanting to update, add to, change, etc., this thread? Your input is welcomed, as always!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #22  
Fit by 50!

S/C/G: 265/262/165

Yay! You Go Girl!

Nancydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzyFritz View Post

I look forward to posting my progress as I follow the advice above.
And I most certainly look forward to reading about your progress!!!! Good luck. You're in great hands here at 3FC and I'm REALLY glad you're here.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 AM   #24  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks, Nancy and Robin!!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #25  
banned

S/C/G: 215/214/160

Hello to all

I wanted to ask everyone whats a good weight lose program to get?
How is the nutrisystem. Ive tried some of the old programs but ended up
gaining my weight back.Iam looking for something new,something that REALLY works. Ive asked some of my girl friends and still waiting to here back from them.My one girlfriend sue had mentioned something about some new plan that her grilfriend had just started.Iam still waiting on her to call me back.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Italian Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #26  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest going back and re-reading this post. There are good suggestions in it.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #27  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

ItalilanLady, you said you're looking for something that REALLY WORKS. They basically all WORK if you STICK to them. So the KEY is finding something that YOU can STICK to. And are WILLING to stick to. FOREVER and EVER. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-16-2007 at 03:56 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote